Blonde C jokes

Malcolm McLean

A blonde arrives for her first day as a C programmer. She's given a
simple job, changing a few error messages in a 10,000 line program.
After about a hour she hands the code back in. The manager compiles
it, and it comes back with several thousand syntax errors - completely
unusable and irrepairable. "What've you done?" he asks, "Oh," she
says, "I spotted a few typos. So I ran it through the spell-checker."

Two blondes are pair programming. For a while all goes well, but after
a time a bitter dispute arises between them, so serious that it has to
go to senior management.
"What's wrong?" asks the manager.
"I can't work with her anymore", says one, "she's too catty".
"Can you explain further?" askes the manager.
"Yes, she's always playing with the mouse."

What's a blonde's favourite C function?
tan.

The firm gets a new big mainframe in. The blonde is given the task of
porting code to it.
She writes
ptr = (char *) malloc(10);
"Why are you casting your malloc?" asks the manager.
"That's so it compiles under a C++ compiler".
"OK" says the manager.
Then he sees her taking out '//' comments.
"Why are you doing that?" he asks.
"That's so it compiles under a strict C89 compiler"
Then she takes a routine called bubblesort" and renames it "bsort".
"Why are you doing that?" he asks.
"Identifiers need to be six characters or less so it compiles under a
Fortran linker" she says.
"Look" says the manager, "isn't this getting a bit silly? Why does it
need to compile under all these different systems?"
"Mr Mannering", she says, "the new computer is in the basement."

Alexander Bartolich

Malcolm said:
[...]
"Look" says the manager, "isn't this getting a bit silly? Why does it
need to compile under all these different systems?"
"Mr Mannering", she says, "the new computer is in the basement."

I don't get this one.

Rich Webb

Malcolm said:
[...]
"Look" says the manager, "isn't this getting a bit silly? Why does it
need to compile under all these different systems?"
"Mr Mannering", she says, "the new computer is in the basement."

I don't get this one.

It's "in the basement" i.e., it will be "under" all of them.

Alexander Bartolich

Rich said:
Alexander Bartolich said:
Malcolm said:
[...]
"Look" says the manager, "isn't this getting a bit silly? Why does it
need to compile under all these different systems?"
"Mr Mannering", she says, "the new computer is in the basement."

I don't get this one.

It's "in the basement" i.e., it will be "under" all of them.

So the hidden assumption is that all these different systems are
located upstairs. This is not logical. Ruby coders and the like
might indeed prefer light-flooded lofts. But the story is about
C++, C89 and Fortran. And everybody knows that real programmers
are photophobic.

Bill Reid

Rich said:
Alexander Bartolich said:
Malcolm McLean wrote:
[...]
"Look" says the manager, "isn't this getting a bit silly? Why does it
need to compile under all these different systems?"
"Mr Mannering", she says, "the new computer is in the basement."
I don't get this one.
It's "in the basement" i.e., it will be "under" all of them.

So the hidden assumption is that all these different systems are
located upstairs. This is not logical. Ruby coders and the like
might indeed prefer light-flooded lofts. But the story is about
C++, C89 and Fortran. And everybody knows that real programmers
are photophobic.
Did you hear the joke about programmer comedian? You
didn't miss anything, it wasn't funny...

ng2010

Malcolm said:
A blonde arrives for her first day as a C programmer. She's given a
simple job, changing a few error messages in a 10,000 line program.
After about a hour she hands the code back in. The manager compiles
it

LOL! That is funny!!

August Karlstrom

Malcolm said:
A blonde arrives for her first day as a C programmer. She's given a
simple job, changing a few error messages in a 10,000 line program.
After about a hour she hands the code back in.
[...]

Stale sexist jokes. Come on, it's 2010.

August

Daniel Giaimo

Malcolm said:
A blonde arrives for her first day as a C programmer. She's given a
simple job, changing a few error messages in a 10,000 line program.
After about a hour she hands the code back in.
[...]

Stale sexist jokes. Come on, it's 2010.

How is a blonde joke sexist?

Daniel Giaimo

Daniel said:
Malcolm McLean wrote:
A blonde arrives for her first day as a C programmer. She's given a
simple job, changing a few error messages in a 10,000 line program.
After about a hour she hands the code back in.
[...]

Stale sexist jokes. Come on, it's 2010.

How is a blonde joke sexist?

It's the E. Male blonds are blond.

Maybe technically, but I've always understood blond(e) jokes as
referring equally well to either sex. Like the idiot surfer
dude/California girl stereotype

Daniel Giaimo

Daniel said:
Daniel Giaimo wrote:
On 4/5/2010 5:01 AM, August Karlstrom wrote:
Malcolm McLean wrote:
A blonde arrives for her first day as a C programmer. She's given a
simple job, changing a few error messages in a 10,000 line program.
After about a hour she hands the code back in.
[...]

Stale sexist jokes. Come on, it's 2010.

How is a blonde joke sexist?

It's the E. Male blonds are blond.

Maybe technically, but I've always understood blond(e) jokes as
referring equally well to either sex.

"...her first day..." is a bit of a giveaway to those who miss the 'e'.

Plenty of people use "her", or alternate between "him" and "her" when
they are referring to a person of either gender.

Keith Thompson

bartc said:
There've already been half-a-dozen exchanges which have nothing to do
with C, why stop now when other people are also curious?

Better late than never.

bartc

Richard Heathfield said:
Not in a C group, no.

There've already been half-a-dozen exchanges which have nothing to do with
C, why stop now when other people are also curious?

REH

There've already been half-a-dozen exchanges which have nothing to do with
C, why stop now when other people are also curious?

I thought that might have been a joke (i.e., Ada).

REH

blmblm

:) (Since Richard is being so cagy about what he means here, I won't
give it away either. But I'm glad of the support, so to speak.)
I thought that might have been a joke (i.e., Ada).

Ada?? What am I not getting ....

Tim Streater

:) (Since Richard is being so cagy about what he means here, I won't
give it away either. But I'm glad of the support, so to speak.)

Ada?? What am I not getting ....

Perhaps he meant "(e.g., Ada)".

Unless he feels that all jokes are Ada, but that seems unlikely.

REH

Perhaps he meant "(e.g., Ada)".

Unless he feels that all jokes are Ada, but that seems unlikely.

No, I meant "i.e." as in "that is." I thought he might be making a
joke because Ada has an elaboration phase and C doesn't.

REH

Daniel Giaimo

No, I meant "i.e." as in "that is." I thought he might be making a
joke because Ada has an elaboration phase and C doesn't.

I think you meant (a la Ada) then. "I.e." means that what preceeds is,
in a sense, an equivalent of the latter, which is not the case here.
Well, not unless you consider the equivalent of Ada to be "a joke".

REH

I think you meant (a la Ada) then.  "I.e." means that what preceeds is,
in a sense, an equivalent of the latter, which is not the case here.
Well, not unless you consider the equivalent of Ada to be "a joke".

Whatever. "i.e." means "that is." "e.g." would be appropriate if I
were listing examples. I am not. In this case, Ada *is* what I was
inferring as the joke. The pedantry level in this group is reach
ridiculous levels. It's almost as bad a Slashdot. Do you really want
to argue ad nauseum over a freakin' joke?

REH

Keith Thompson

REH said:
[...]
Whatever. "i.e." means "that is." "e.g." would be appropriate if I
were listing examples. I am not. In this case, Ada *is* what I was
inferring as the joke. The pedantry level in this group is reach
ridiculous levels. It's almost as bad a Slashdot. Do you really want
to argue ad nauseum over a freakin' joke?

Was the point that you consider Ada, the programming language, to be a
joke? I'm not trying to argue, I just don't get the humor.

(And speaking of pedantry, I think you meant "implying" rather than
"inferring".)