Blowing the doors to Palm - Java programming for Tungsten handhelds

Jon A. Cruz

Carlos said:
I am talking about big Software developers and not hardware makers.

Hmmm... then take another look at that list.

SEGA has been a software developer ever since the demise of the Dreamcast.

They were showing all sorts of stuff at E3 this year.

username

Jon A. Cruz said:
You don't have to go to those extremes. You can also write one
application with a UI that adjusts to the platform it's run on. A single
application that takes advantage of both.

yeah that's real portable...NOT. might as well make platform specific
binaries....
No. That is true.

of course it is true
However, often a well designed solution will work in
more situations than one might expect.

sure, but not in ALL situations, which was his point

asj

username:
no you showed some marketing announcements, stories etc. there is a
difference between that and reality, are you aware of that?

are you aware you're the only person here who has no idea about it?

(1) Sharp and SAP entered into a contractual agreement,...this was not a
"marketing" announcement....perhaps you don't know the difference?
(2) Sega has created J2ME (MIDP) games, including some of the first ones
launched on sprint pcs. those are NOT "marketing announcements".
(3) RIM's blackberry is java-based. that is NOT some "marketing
announcement".

how exactly should we put it so that you mind can grasp the concept?

asj

username said:
you show so many signs of naiveness, I don't know where to start to counter
them....

bwahahahabwahahaha!!!!!!
that's it, when you have no idea how to counter arguments, either snip
them off without comment or give some nonsensical one-liners disparaging
the other side without addresing any points.

me

you show so many signs of naiveness, I don't know where to start to counter
them....

You could start by learning english, or french maybe. The word you're
mangling is "naïveté".

Brandon Blackmoor

asj said:
how exactly should we put it so that you mind can
grasp the concept?

"username" is either a shill or a troll (perhaps both), and you are
wasting your time responding to her.

However, I have found the information about Sega and Rim to be extremely
interesting (I had no idea Blackberry was Java based), so your time
hasn't been entirely wasted. Thanks.

Guest

Unless the speed problems of Java are improved and also the proper
compatibility testing is resolved, Java on handhelds will never
take off.

I won't install Java on any device these days. It isn't on my
Windows PC (Opera can be obtained without it). It isn't on my
PDA (although an old version is available). As far as I can tell
(and I admit I _may_ be missing some great applications), I'm not
missing much by taking this approach.

Java apps I encountered always seemed to either need a more
up-to-date version of the JVM (on the PDA at least that wasn't an
option), or there was some problem with something not being
available. The few I did run worked too slow to be acceptable.

I don't need these problems, so I don't use the product in which
I encountered them.
Java is slow and it is not getting faster.

I get acceptable performance from interpretted OPL applications
on a 34MHz PDA (although I'll admit some are better than others
when lots of data is involved), but didn't get acceptable
performance from Java. To me, that seems to say something is
still broken.

username

asj said:
username:

are you aware you're the only person here who has no idea about it?

well, since all others gave up on this thread, I am the only person here
anyway.
think about that.
(1) Sharp and SAP entered into a contractual agreement,...this was not a
"marketing" announcement....perhaps you don't know the difference?

an agreement? so what? what products came out? what percentage of their
total? etc. My point is: everybody is developing with java in one way or
another, that does mean anything.
The company I work for is a heavy java (serverside) developer, but then, the
company is big in development for any platform you can imagine, so is java
winning (what you are advocating) ? no. It is just another language.
(2) Sega has created J2ME (MIDP) games, including some of the first ones
launched on sprint pcs. those are NOT "marketing announcements".

anyone has done that. so?
(3) RIM's blackberry is java-based. that is NOT some "marketing
announcement".

so?
windows is C++ based, so?
how exactly should we put it so that you mind can grasp the concept?

first make sure you understand things yourself, ok? now try again.

username

Eric Lindsay's spam trap said:
I won't install Java on any device these days. It isn't on my
Windows PC (Opera can be obtained without it). It isn't on my
PDA (although an old version is available). As far as I can tell
(and I admit I _may_ be missing some great applications), I'm not
missing much by taking this approach.

same here, When I bought my psion5mx some years ago, it was marketed with
statements like "java enabled!!!", well, I never used its java capabilities.
I once tried a java app we developed in our company, but was very
disappointed: the UI looked completely different than on PC's, in fact the
UI was unusable. And it took minutes to just start the app. It was useless.
so java on that PDA was useless.
Now I have an IPAQ 3970, but never felt the need to install a JVM.
Java apps I encountered always seemed to either need a more
up-to-date version of the JVM (on the PDA at least that wasn't an
option), or there was some problem with something not being
available. The few I did run worked too slow to be acceptable.

exactly. Java is (said to be) not hardware specific, but it is definately
(in my experience) JVM specific (although java advocates are denying this of
course).
I don't need these problems, so I don't use the product in which
I encountered them.

exactly, plenty of alternatives

me

Well it's not in my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary, nor is it
found in a search of the Cambridge University Press dictionary online

http://dictionary.cambridge.org

Of course if you want to trust a dictionary that appears to have been
in existence for all of 2 1/2 years since 2000 and whose list of
contributors leads to a blank page

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/linkers.html

that probably says as much about your judgement and knowledge as the
rest of your posts.

Mark Thornton

username said:

I wouldn't consider hyperdictionary to be particularly authoritative. My
own English dictionary (printed and compiled in England by the Oxford
University Press) does not contain the word. I suspect that it would not
be considered good English in this country (England). Also note that
dictionaries contain many words whose use is not currently recommended
for a variety of reasons.
Of course this is the "Internet" where mangled language is the norm.

Mark Thornton

username

Mark Thornton said:
I wouldn't consider hyperdictionary to be particularly authoritative. My
own English dictionary (printed and compiled in England by the Oxford
University Press) does not contain the word. I suspect that it would not
be considered good English in this country (England). Also note that
dictionaries contain many words whose use is not currently recommended
for a variety of reasons.
Of course this is the "Internet" where mangled language is the norm.

Mark Thornton

try an american dictionary.

username

Well it's not in my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary, nor is it
found in a search of the Cambridge University Press dictionary online

http://dictionary.cambridge.org

Of course if you want to trust a dictionary that appears to have been
in existence for all of 2 1/2 years since 2000 and whose list of
contributors leads to a blank page

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/linkers.html

that probably says as much about your judgement and knowledge as the
rest of your posts.

ok try this :
http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/

username

Mark Thornton said:
I wouldn't consider hyperdictionary to be particularly authoritative. My
own English dictionary (printed and compiled in England by the Oxford
University Press) does not contain the word. I suspect that it would not
be considered good English in this country (England). Also note that
dictionaries contain many words whose use is not currently recommended
for a variety of reasons.
Of course this is the "Internet" where mangled language is the norm.

is http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/ more convincing to you?

Of course we can discuss the definition of language. Is it the list of words
in a book written by someone you blindly follow or is the the
language/wording actual people use?

hm, in fact this is interesting, and I now see the relevance of this to this
thread: blind java purists against real world people.
interesting, thank you!

asj

username said:
well, since all others gave up on this thread, I am the only person here
anyway.
think about that.

perhaps you should listen to the adage that it is a wise man indeed who
knows how the wind shifts, and does something about it.

an agreement? so what? what products came out? what percentage of their
total? etc. My point is: everybody is developing with java in one way or
another, that does mean anything.
The company I work for is a heavy java (serverside) developer, but then, the
company is big in development for any platform you can imagine, so is java
winning (what you are advocating) ? no. It is just another language.

loser....you don't win points for shifting the discussion when you have
no counterarguments.

the original argument was whether any big companies were using
j2me....with your statement above, you pretty much did a complete about
turn and admitted EVERYONE is using java.

now, as to WHY that's important, here's a CLUE...guess what, maybe
living with yo mama means you can do away with earning a living, but in
the REAL world us normal folk have to earn a living, and it sure
gladdens this java programmer's heart to see so many job opportunities
for people who take the time to learn java.

anyone has done that. so?

hmmm. perhaps again it's because the original argument was that NO BIG
COMPANY DEVELOPED USING J2ME.
i guess you're folding on this point as well, eh?

i mean, c'mon now, give me some real competition here....you SCREW up
BIGTIME by somehow thinking it would COST MORE TO HAVE A LONG TERM
RELATIONSHIP WITH A CLIENT BY USING JAVA, then now you ADMIT EVERYONE IS
USING JAVA when the original argument was that NO big company was using
it.

hey man, at least make me sweat here...eh?

so?
windows is C++ based, so?

see above. again, the original argument was that NO BIG COMPANY
DEVELOPED USING J2ME.

Guest

Well it's not in my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary, nor is it
found in a search of the Cambridge University Press dictionary online

http://dictionary.cambridge.org
It is listed in Webster's New International, second edition,
sometimes claimed to be the finest single volume dictionary ever
produced, which means it dates back at least to the 1950's. Mind
you, I sometimes think that edition lists everything, as the
third edition lost at least 100,000 words.

John D.

It is listed in Webster's New International, second edition,
sometimes claimed to be the finest single volume dictionary ever
produced, which means it dates back at least to the 1950's. Mind
you, I sometimes think that edition lists everything, as the
third edition lost at least 100,000 words.

I think "naiveness" is more American while "naivety" is listed as
"chiefly British". It is odd that it is not listed in the Oxford
English Dictionary though.