Boa Constructor Problem

Greg Lindstrom

Hi-
I've installed Python2.3.3 and the current release of Boa Constructor on
Windows Xp "professional" but get an error saying that global name wx is not
defined when I try to start Boa up. What have I done wrong?

Thanks!

Greg Lindstrom (501) 975-4859
NovaSys Health (e-mail address removed)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" W.W.

Jeff Shannon

Greg said:
Hi-
I've installed Python2.3.3 and the current release of Boa Constructor on
Windows Xp "professional" but get an error saying that global name wx is not
defined when I try to start Boa up. What have I done wrong?

You probably need to install wxPython, which Boa depends on but which is
not included as a standard package. See wxpython.org to download it.
(But check to be sure that you get a version which is compatible with
Boa -- there's sometimes incompatibilities between the version that Boa
is developed on and the latest version.)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

R Baumann

Greg Lindstrom said:
Hi-
I've installed Python2.3.3 and the current release of Boa Constructor on
Windows Xp "professional" but get an error saying that global name wx is not
defined when I try to start Boa up. What have I done wrong?

Thanks!

Greg Lindstrom (501) 975-4859
NovaSys Health (e-mail address removed)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" W.W.
Boa is written to wxWidgets 2.4. If you have 2.5 or higher, it will not
work. You should be able to find the correct version of wxWidgets/wxPython
on the wxPython website. If not, try the wxWidgets website. Also check the
Forums for Boa on the Source Forge website. A lot of information is there
about installing and which versions are needed.

FWIW, I think Boa is a great product. Unfortunately releases are very slow.
For instance, I am using .2.8 but the version shown on the website is .2.3.
In the forums, Riaan gives a link to a .2.8 download.

HTH
Ruben

Richard Townsend

FWIW, I think Boa is a great product. Unfortunately releases are very slow.
For instance, I am using .2.8 but the version shown on the website is ..2.3.
In the forums, Riaan gives a link to a .2.8 download.

The most recent change in CVS appears to be 6 weeks ago. Is the project
really being maintained?

Richard Townsend

Steve Lamb

The most recent change in CVS appears to be 6 weeks ago. Is the project
really being maintained?

SF is not the primary repository for the project. That would be the
authors HD. I've gotten the impresion over the past while that he makes lots
of progress and then dumps it onto SF and moves on from there. I've had email
from him describing a fix to a problem I was having. It was weeks after the
latest commit and was weeks before being commited into the repository.

Richard Townsend

SF is not the primary repository for the project. That would be the
authors HD. I've gotten the impresion over the past while that he makes lots
of progress and then dumps it onto SF and moves on from there. I've had email
from him describing a fix to a problem I was having. It was weeks after the
latest commit and was weeks before being commited into the repository.

That seems like a strange policy to me. If updates were put in CVS more
often
a) people would realise the project was active and would thus be more
inclined to use it.
b) the author would get more feedback from users testing the changes.

regards,
Richard