bobby approved?

Neal

(You might want to invest in a screen-reader, or similar, to test your
pages.)

Which would you recommend for general testing, and can you estimate the
cost for purchase?

jake

Neal said:
Which would you recommend for general testing, and can you estimate the
cost for purchase?

I use IBM's Home Page Reader (HPR) for testing (works in a 'symbiotic'
relationship with MSIE, so you need IE installed).

Here's a comparative survey done a year-or-so ago:
http://www.camo.qc.ca/ntic/csun2002en.htm

The pricing's here:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/solution_offerings/hpr2.html#order

There's a 30-day free trial available so you can see if it's what you
want.

Usually, HPR is the last thing that I use to test a page with as I find
that running Opera with:

(a) Frames off ........ checks if there's a 'noframes' entry showing the
way to the frame-less version
(b) Tables off ........ checks linearization
(c) Images off ........ checks for missing alternative text on images
and maps
(d) Javascript off .... checks if it works without JS enabled, or
if there's a 'noscript' entry for an
alternative
facility.
(e) (minimal) user stylesheet on ...... just sets the text and
background as I like to see them, and applies a simple shading to
headers so I can see immediately where they are - if any. Tests if page
makes sense if no stylesheet is available
(f) short-cut to the w3c validator

can pick up a lot of accessibility issues (if you're looking for them).

HPR picks up the more obscure ones (such as words running together) and
checks that data tables and forms are correctly marked up and function
correctly, and that frames-based sites are navigable, etc.

regards.

Neal

[...]

Sounds essentially the same as a check with Lynx... aside from tables.

Andy Dingley

mark | r said:
Im thinking about my target audience and what turns them on...

They're attracted by chunks of plain text, but rendered as bitmap
images instead?

customers like to see "design" in some form, taking away the glossy design
from sites will simply turn off potential customers.

This is very true. Dancing Penguins might be evil, but there's
certainly a level at which some customers are attracted by them.

Your site is _BORING_. It's not "design led" or anything bogus but
superficially appealing like that, it's just tedious newspaper column
content, but done badly, and at great cost too. XHTML validation is a
PITA, but you've gone to the trouble of jumping through that hoop and
_still_ produced no useful benefit.

Sometimes people achieve the worst of both worlds. But your site seems
to have achieved three.

i do understand accessibility

No you don't. You're demonstrably clueless. It's not that your site
is inaccessible, it's that it's _needlessly_ inaccessible. We're not
even arguing about cost/benefit ratios of some Flash gewgaw you've
picked up as eye-candy, just how you've taken simple text layout and
made it awkward. Your site could be easily accessible, look no
different, and wouldn't even take much effort to do that. Instead
though, you're quibbling about Bobbytrivia.

(achieved certification)

ROFL !

Certification ! Don't make me laugh. What sort ? CIW :cool:

mark | r

Andy Dingley said:
"mark | r" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[...]

BA HONS DESIGN: NEW MEDIA, Staffordshire University

mark

mark | r

(a) You have a basic problem with your design which makes parts of the
page inaccessible to assistive technologies.

This is your page as a typical talking browser 'sees it':
http://www.gododdin.demon.co.uk/ng/HPR2X.JPG (83k)
[NOTE:
Normal text is in black (spoken with a male voice)
Links are in red (spoken with a female voice)
Headings are in blue (spoken in a robotics voice) ]

thanks i'll add that in
The parts that are missing are shown here:
http://www.gododdin.demon.co.uk/ng/AATOT2X.JPG (124k)

The problem is caused by using a background image to represent text, and
marking the actual text up as "display:none;".

This is a technique used in 'csszengarden', and which now carries a
'health warning' for the FIR technique:
http://www.stopdesign.com/articles/replace_text/

damned, ive been trying to remember that technique for ages now :)
Not only is the text invisible, you effectively have no headings
anywhere on the page.

(You might want to invest in a screen-reader, or similar, to test your
pages.)

(b) The 508 standard requires that 'a method shall be provided that
permits users to skip repetitive navigation links'.

You don't have any -- so it's not 508 compliant ;-)

Yeah, you showed that in the 1st grab, thanks
(c) Is 'testimonial' really adequate alternative text for the image it's
substituting for? If not, then it fails WAI-A requirements.

Yes this is a placeholder as this is gonna rotate through comments.

cheers

mark

rf

mark | r said:
BA HONS DESIGN: NEW MEDIA, Staffordshire University

Years ago part of my job was to hire mainframe programmers. Invariably the
ones with a degree in Computer Science or something were way to theoretical,
out of touch with the Real World.

The best programmer I ever hired had an honours degree in Civil Engineering
and had changed career track because he was sick of designing toilets at the
local airport. *He* had no preconceived ideas about How To Do Things, just a
willingness to learn.

Most degrees, especially arts degrees, are not worth the pulp they are
printed on. It is only *post graduate* experience that counts IMHO.

Toby A Inkster

rf said:
Most degrees, especially arts degrees, are not worth the pulp they are
printed on.

The engineering graduate asks "does that work?"
The science graduate asks "how does that work?"
The philosophy graduate asks "why does that work?"
The liberal arts graduate asks "would you like fries with that?"

Els

Toby said:
The engineering graduate asks "does that work?"
The science graduate asks "how does that work?"
The philosophy graduate asks "why does that work?"
The liberal arts graduate asks "would you like fries with
that?"

<g>

jake

Andy Dingley said:
No, the RNIB website is an infamous ****-up.

A site that bad usually required lottery funding.
It's also unfortunate that they have to invent their own 'see it right'
standards (WAI-A, plus bits-and-pieces of WAI-AA and WAI-AAA, plus
others) and then award the conformity logo to sites that clearly have
accessibility issues ;-)

regards.