    I don't want menu bar -> ? need solution ?

    I JUST want the title bar, address bar and the IE window.

    Please help

    Maxi, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Maxi

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On 5 Apr 2006 02:56:29 -0700, "Maxi" <>
    wrote:

    : I just have one index.html page with NO links NO pics. Just a simple
    : html page.
    :
    : Whenever I open that page I want to eliminate few things like:
    :
    : I don't want scroll bar -> I have a solution <body scroll="no">
    : I don't want status bar -> ? need solution ?
    : I don't want toolbar bar -> ? need solution ?
    : I don't want menu bar -> ? need solution ?
    :
    : I JUST want the title bar, address bar and the IE window.
    :
    : Please help

    Design your own browser - leave mine alone.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Maxi

    Maxi Guest

    You mean this is impossible?

    Maxi, Apr 5, 2006
  4. Maxi

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Maxi finally
    proclaimed:

    > You mean this is impossible?

    What is impossible? Please quote what you are replying to.

    Anyway, regarding your question, you got a pretty good response in
    comp.lang.javascript telling you that you can't do what you want without
    encountering problems. Don't multipost either.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Listening to: Ulises III - Terra Natura

    Dylan Parry, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Maxi wrote:
    [quoting fixed]
    > Sid Ismail wrote:
    > > On 5 Apr 2006 02:56:29 -0700, "Maxi" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > : I just have one index.html page with NO links NO pics. Just a

    simple
    > > : html page.
    > > :
    > > : Whenever I open that page I want to eliminate few things like:
    > > :
    > > : I don't want scroll bar -> I have a solution <body scroll="no">
    > > : I don't want status bar -> ? need solution ?
    > > : I don't want toolbar bar -> ? need solution ?
    > > : I don't want menu bar -> ? need solution ?
    > > :
    > > : I JUST want the title bar, address bar and the IE window.
    > > :
    > > : Please help
    > >

    > > Design your own browser - leave mine alone.
    > >
    > > Sid

    > You mean this is impossible?

    Not impossible, but counter-productive. If you pull a stunt like that
    on me when I enter your website as a visitor, I'll close the window and
    go to a different website.

    Also, something like this can only be achieved in JavaScript, as
    there's (thankfully) no way to do this in pure HTML, and then (IIRC)
    only by creating a new window with your own options. Look into the
    "open" function for the "window" object in JavaScript.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Apr 5, 2006
  6. Maxi

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Maxi" <>
    declaimed:

    > You mean this is impossible?

    As your prime window, yes. Also, rumour has it that the new Internet
    Explorer will disallow removing at least the statusbar from secondary
    windows.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.

    Neredbojias, Apr 5, 2006
  7. Maxi

    Jose Guest

    > Whenever I open that page I want to eliminate few things like:
    >
    > I don't want scroll bar -> I have a solution <body scroll="no">
    > I don't want status bar -> ? need solution ?
    > I don't want toolbar bar -> ? need solution ?
    > I don't want menu bar -> ? need solution ?

    Do you want this to happen when =I= open the page? I =do= want the
    scroll bar - it's how I get to see the rest of your page. You can't
    guarantee that your content will fit on my tiny screen with the big text
    I need in order to see it.

    I =do= want a status bar. It's how I can tell whether a web site is
    legitimate, and can tell other things about how =my= computer is
    operating, and what =your= site is doing to my computer.

    I =do= want a toolbar. It's how I navigate. Without a toolbar, your
    page is a dead end.

    I =do= want a menu bar. It's how I do stuff, like select the text and
    paste it into Notepad so that I can read it when a web designer does
    something clever like put light pink text on a light blue background
    with a busy design all over it.

    Heck, why don't you want to eliminate the close box?

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

    Jose, Apr 5, 2006
  8. Jose wrote:
    > > Whenever I open that page I want to eliminate few things like:

    > I =do= want the scroll bar...
    > I =do= want a status bar...
    > I =do= want a toolbar....
    > I =do= want a menu bar...

    Why is it wrong for the site owner to decide what they want to present
    to you, in the manner that they want to present it?

    If they want to do that, then it is their choice to do so. If you (or
    anyone else) thinks their page blows, then go somewhere else.

    That will teach them a lesson...

    Travis Newbury, Apr 5, 2006
  9. Maxi

    Jose Guest

    > Why is it wrong for the site owner to decide what they want to present
    > to you, in the manner that they want to present it?

    Because the site owner is not "presenting" something inert to me. He is
    using my resources and my computing power, and there is no telling what
    the site is instructing my computer to do to itself. It's like letting
    a worker into your home, and not being permitted to talk to him or lock
    the closet door.

    > If they want to do that, then it is their choice to do so. If you (or
    > anyone else) thinks their page blows, then go somewhere else.
    >
    > That will teach them a lesson...

    This sort of thing has to be nipped in the bud.

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

    Jose, Apr 5, 2006
  10. Jose wrote:
    > > Why is it wrong for the site owner to decide what they want to present
    > > to you, in the manner that they want to present it?

    > Because the site owner is not "presenting" something inert to me.

    He may not be presenting anything to "you". He may not care what you
    want to see. It is their website. Let them present the content they
    want in the manner they want to. If they are interested in whart "you"
    think, then they will either change to accomidate you, or let you go
    somewhere else.

    > He is
    > using my resources and my computing power, and there is no telling what
    > the site is instructing my computer to do to itself.

    He is using your resourses because you have made the decision to visit
    his site. He can only use your resourses if you let him.

    > It's like letting
    > a worker into your home, and not being permitted to talk to him or lock
    > the closet door.

    It is nothing like that at all.

    > > If they want to do that, then it is their choice to do so. If you (or
    > > anyone else) thinks their page blows, then go somewhere else.
    > >
    > > That will teach them a lesson...

    > This sort of thing has to be nipped in the bud.

    Why? It is called free market.

    Travis Newbury, Apr 5, 2006
  11. Maxi

    Jose Guest

    > It is their website. Let them present the content they
    > want in the manner they want to.

    Well, it's like letting somebody in because they ring the doorbell. You
    don't know what they will do until you let them in, you don't want to
    keep everyone out because you do need some services (say, a plumber),
    but you don't want the plumber to lock you out of your house while he
    promises to fix the plumbing. And you don't know he's wearing a bandana
    and eyepatch until he ha entered the house.

    > If they are interested in whart "you"
    > think, then they will either change to accomidate you, or let you go
    > somewhere else.

    He may simply be ignorant, but in doing what he does out of ignorance,
    he helps others who are abusive. If everyone walked around with bags
    over their heads and two slits for eyes, and the public accepted this as
    the normal way to do things, discernment is more difficult.

    > He is using your resourses because you have made the decision to visit
    > his site. He can only use your resourses if you let him.

    That decision is not usually informed, and is sometimes not even
    conscious. You don't know what's behind the curtain until you open it.

    >> It's like letting
    >> a worker into your home, and not being permitted to talk to him or lock
    >> the closet door.

    > It is nothing like that at all.

    It is quite a bit like that, when sites can defeat your chrome. Suppose
    he also defeated the close box? Three fingers would be needed to exit,
    and meanwhile the site could do what it wanted.

    >>This sort of thing has to be nipped in the bud.

    > Why? It is called free market.

    Because it inures people to abusive practices. It's like having metal
    detectors in the high schools; pretty soon the populace will expect to
    be frisked at every opportunity and consider it normal. I consider this
    to be a Bad Thing.

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

    Jose, Apr 5, 2006
  12. Maxi

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Why is it wrong for the site owner to decide what they want to present
    > to you, in the manner that they want to present it?

    Because a developer who doesn't know _how_ to do this,
    probably doesn't know _when_ to do this.

    A "site owner" has a perfect right to make their site as unusable as
    they like.
    Equally they can't expect me to help them with this.

    Andy Dingley, Apr 5, 2006