Bogus NullPointerExceptions

foobarbazqux

Twisted said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
[Snip some nonsensical ranting about my ego]

You mean this
"Twisted's assertion that he is FORCED to respond to every
posting. Everyone but he must by now be aware that it is only Twisted's
own ego that forces him to carry on like this."
Like I've said a thousand times before, it didn't "reduce" anything; it
stopped the NPEs, because concurrency flubs were the *sole* cause. The
only way it could happen any more would be if a user elects to put a
symlink into the directory tree it created, which isn't intended for
user modification anyway.

Q.E.D.

I'm not forcing you to respond, you have the choice don't you?

Concurrency "flubs" must almost always be caused by incorrect use of
threads in the first place.

foobarbazqux

Twisted said:
To zero. Which is the same thing, moron.

For all you know, the frequency of occurrence has a period greater than
the short elapsed time over which you've carried out testing.

Saying it "is the same thing" is like saying the cause of a wound
bleeding is the absence of bandaging. Using Java synchronisation could
be just a bandage, in which case you haven't detected the real cause.

Oh? Such as? Tell me what you gain

Isn't it obvious?

by posting drivel like the reeking turd I'm replying to?

You love it.

Or hacking GG

a) Look at the headers of the chain of messages and you'll see who
added the FollowUp.

b) Using Followups is hardly hacking (in either sense). Even GG provide
a "Add a followup-to header" link above every "Repy-to" form. Only a
fool thinks clicking a link in a web page is hacking.

to make my replying spam random extra newsgroups and put
me over Google's dumbass limit,

Would that be dumbass limit as in limit for dumbasses? How apt.

for that matter? (Which activity you
seem to have stopped, once I caught on to it and it thereby became
futile.)

I didn't start, so it's inaccurate to say I stopped.

Are you claiming that I attacked you before you ever attacked me?

Let me explain it in simple words: You aggravate others, this leads to
others aggravating you in turn. Saying "but but he started it!" is a
rather juvenile form of pleading.
If so, it's a damn lie...

Obvious use of the strawman argument there. Your premise is false. I'm
not attacking you, I'm having a pleasant conversation with you.

foobarbazqux

Twisted said:
<Usual stuff>
Perhaps you can help me with that, though -- by letting this stupid
thread die, now that it's emphatically served its original purpose and
is equally emphatically no longer serving *any* constructive purpose.

Have *you* tried letting the thread die?

Lead by example!

Joe Attardi

Or hacking GG to make my replying spam random extra newsgroups and put
me over Google's dumbass limit, for that matter? (Which activity you
seem to have stopped, once I caught on to it and it thereby became
futile.)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Twisted thinks that people in *this* thread are limiting his posts too?
Hacking Google Groups, what a laugh.
Oh Twisted. You make me laugh.

Twisted

Twisted said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
[Snip some nonsensical ranting about my ego]

You mean this
[Snip some more nonsensical ranting about my ego]

Just because you repeat it six zillion times doesn't mean it's true
asswipe.
I'm not forcing you to respond, you have the choice don't you?

Not if I want your public accusations to be countered by equally-public
rebuttals.
Concurrency "flubs" must almost always be caused by incorrect use of
threads in the first place.

As in lack of "synchronized (foo)" around access to shared
non-immutable resources?

Twisted

For all you know, the frequency of occurrence has a period greater than
the short elapsed time over which you've carried out testing.

Idiot. The frequency of occurrence can be calculated. It is zero unless
all of the following occur:
* A symlink is dropped under baseDir, externally, whose destination is
a directory on a different partition.
* This partition has zero files.
* Java doesn't treat its root directory as having a parent that is a
"logical root" for all drives (but last time I checked, it does).
* The attempt to delete the partition's empty root directory succeeds,
so the loop continues with "dir" equal to "null" to eventually throw
NPE instead of bombing on a failed deletion instead.

I'm fairly sure the NPE actually *can't happen* now, and the only
consequences of someone dropping a symlink in there would be a) the dir
containing the symlink is never eligible for deletion (same as if a
file got dropped in there) and b) the symlink's destination might be
deleted, if it's empty. Of course, the symlink might then cause
problems in a later run, too. But that a) can't happen on Windows
systems at all and b) requires unlikely, oddball user behavior on Unix
systems. (I'm unsure whether Mac aliases work as true symbolic links,
while I know that Windows shortcuts don't; Mac OSX presumably has true
symlinks but they may be disused relative to aliases, if the latter
weren't retrofit to use the former under the hood. I don't know much
about MacOS more recent than 8 or so, so...)
Saying it "is the same thing" is like saying the cause of a wound
bleeding is the absence of bandaging. Using Java synchronisation could
be just a bandage, in which case you haven't detected the real cause.

The cause was concurrent modifications to the directory tree by
different threads of the same application. Synchronization is the cure,
not just a bandage, for that kind of thing (unless the multithreading
is itself unnecessary -- but that's not the case here).

Why is this even still being discussed?!

You seem awfully convinced that something else is wrong, especially for
someone who necessarily knows an awful lot less about the code than I
do. And no, I won't post the entire source here just for your
edification! I do generally favor open source, but that doesn't by any
means I support demanding or forcing developers to open their
source...aside from voting machines or other publicly-funded stuff.
(Yeah, I know, the voting machine manufacturers are private businesses,
but nobody buys the voting machines with anything except tax money, and
transparency of the process is crucial, so...Diebold is welcome to keep
the source code for their ATMs closed if they wish...)
Isn't it obvious?

No, it isn't. You've invested an awful lot of time and effort in a vain
quest to "prove" your opponent not only wrong but some kind of deranged
moron and lunatic, but you haven't bothered to tell anybody why you
want this.
You love it.

No, I don't, but I am not able to just leave it alone either, or people
might actually start to believe your BS.

[Snip further insults, irrelevancies, and BS]
Let me explain it in simple words: You aggravate others

False.

I did not throw the first punch, and anyone claiming otherwise is
either a retard or a liar.
If something I did is "aggravating", it was after I was provoked. By
you.
Obvious use of the strawman argument there. Your premise is false. I'm
not attacking you, I'm having a pleasant conversation with you.

If you think this is a "pleasant conversation" then you are hopelessly
delusional and need to check yourself into the nearest psych ward. They
will give you all the Thorazine you need, not to mention take your
computer away from you so that you quit posting drivel and BS to
usenet. What kind of "pleasant conversation" has one of the
participants (i.e. you) uttering insults, put-downs, and other such
crap every other time he opens his mouth? Hmm?

Twisted

Have *you* tried letting the thread die?

Jesus fucking Christ you're a moron. Haven't I just gotten through
telling you for the umpteenth time that you aren't letting me?! I'd
love for this to end. You'd shut up, I'd post mild responses to your
last batch of drivel refuting the stupid insults in it, and that would
be the end of it. But nooo, you insist that this fight (which you
started) end on your terms, and that you must have the last word...

Jerkwad.

Twisted

Joe said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

[Snip rest of similarly juvenile crap]

I thought you'd promised to shut the **** up? Oh, yes; for the 3rd or
4th time. It's not really surprising (disappointing, but not
surprising) to see you make a liar of yourself yet again. Asswipe.

Andreas Leitgeb

Twisted said:
Jesus fucking Christ you're a moron. Haven't I just gotten through
telling you for the umpteenth time that you aren't letting me?!

*get cola and chips*

Hey, maybe it is actually fun to continue watching this thread.
Better and more continuous than all the soaps on tv... :)

Btw., the "tense problem" you diagnosed in my english wasn't
one. It was actually a "time-less" use of present tense.
"Someone does something" doesn't imply he does it right now.

In my use, it referred to "whenever you need help", and in
the past I've seen you asking for help twice, and both times
you ended up declaring your problem solved, while leaving
obvious other problems unsolved. So far that's ok, but
when someone pointed out these remaining problems, you
started using swear words... and that's not ok, imho.

Joe Attardi

I thought you'd promised to shut the **** up? Oh, yes; for the 3rd or
4th time. It's not really surprising (disappointing, but not
surprising) to see you make a liar of yourself yet again. Asswipe.
All right, tough guy. Way to completely dodge the issue yet again!

Twisted

Andreas said:
In my use, it referred to "whenever you need help", and in
the past I've seen you asking for help twice, and both times
you ended up declaring your problem solved, while leaving
obvious other problems unsolved. So far that's ok, but
when someone pointed out these remaining problems, you
started using swear words... and that's not ok, imho.

I don't think this is true at all. Unless you refer to my responses to
people pointing out perceived "problems" with me (rather than with my
code).

Twisted

Joe said:
All right, tough guy. Way to completely dodge the issue yet again!

The only "issue" here is your belligerancy (and pathological lying);
the original Java-related problem is long gone.

foo bar baz qux

Twisted said:
Twisted said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
[Snip some nonsensical ranting about my ego]

You mean this
[Snip some more nonsensical ranting about my ego]

You mean this
"Twisted's assertion that he is FORCED to respond to every
posting. Everyone but he must by now be aware that it is only Twisted's
own ego that forces him to carry on like this."
Just because you repeat it six zillion times doesn't mean it's true

If it was true the first time, it would still be true the six
zillionth.

It's conventional to put your signature at the *end* of the message.
Not if I want your public accusations to be countered by equally-public
rebuttals.

So, you can be made to dance at anyone's whim, anytime. For the rest of
your life.
As in lack of "synchronized (foo)" around access to shared
non-immutable resources?

Not necessarily.

Joe Attardi

The only "issue" here is your belligerancy (and pathological lying);
the original Java-related problem is long gone.
Belligerancy? Now you're making words up too.

I see your gift of exaggeration is alive and well. Pathological lying?
Saying you're done with a thread, then deciding you'd like to
participate again is not lying, let alone pathological. If I want to
get back involved with a conversation again, that's my right. So stop
your bitching and whining about pathological lying.

Now for ONCE can you not dodge the question and answer me this: Why
does the trend seem to be that once you get into a discussion on
Usenet, you quickly turn it into a heated argument where the original
topic is long-gone? If you claim that this isn't true, then it's you
that are lying.

foo bar baz qux

Twisted said:
Idiot. <usual boring rant deleted unread>

Addressed at end ...

Why is this even still being discussed?!

Because you wish to continue discussing it.

You seem awfully convinced that something else is wrong,

Do I seem convinced?

No, it isn't.

Think about it a little harder. I've dropped plenty of rather obvious
clues.

You've invested an awful lot of time and effort in a vain
quest to "prove" your opponent not only wrong but some kind of deranged
moron and lunatic,

I've invested a lot less time than you. I'm not on a quest. If you've
been proved to be those things then it is you who has provided the
proof.

but you haven't bothered to tell anybody why you
want this.

I don't but if I did want that, I wouldn't necessarily feel any need to
say why.

No, I don't, but I am not able to just leave it alone either, or people
might actually start to believe your BS.

You can't leave it alone *because* you love that sort of response.
[Snip further insults, irrelevancies, and BS]

You mean this

T: yet they continue, and in doing so they continue to aggravate me.

F: As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

T: Are you claiming that I attacked you before you ever attacked me?

F: Let me explain it in simple words: You aggravate others, this leads
others aggravating you in turn. Saying "but but he started it!" is
rather juvenile form of pleading.

Anyone reading the start of this thread can see that you aggravate
others.

I did not throw the first punch, and anyone claiming otherwise is
either a retard or a liar.

You are repeating yourself, did you forget. Here's my earlier reply

F: Saying "but but he started it!" is a rather juvenile form of
pleading.

If something I did is "aggravating", it was after I was provoked. By
you.

You are repeating yourself again. I refer you to my earlier answer.

If you think this is a "pleasant conversation".

I'm enjoying it, aren't you?

then you are hopelessly
delusional and need to check yourself into the nearest psych ward. They
will give you all the Thorazine you need, not to mention take your
computer away from you so that you quit posting drivel and BS to
usenet.

Do you speak from experience?

What kind of "pleasant conversation" has one of the
participants (i.e. you) uttering insults, put-downs, and other such
crap

I'll treat this as an abstract question: The kind where the other
participant enjoys it.

Remember at the top of this reply I said "addressed at end." Were
anyone following this thread, they would be able to observe that it is
you who introduce those things into our conversation.

every other time he opens his mouth? Hmm?

I know you prefer unconventional approaches to tasks (e.g. loading
icons), but I operate my keyboard with my hands. Your way must be messy
and uncomfortable :)

Tom Forsmo

Andreas said:
*get cola and chips*

Hey, maybe it is actually fun to continue watching this thread.
Better and more continuous than all the soaps on tv... :)

I have been amused by this thread and a couple of others of Twisted for
a while now :) And once in a while, I feel like reignititing the fire a
bit just to make sure it does not die. Its quite funny how he just cant
help but respond to all the troll responses :)

tom

Tom Forsmo

foo said:
You mean this
"Twisted's assertion that he is FORCED to respond to every
posting. Everyone but he must by now be aware that it is only Twisted's
own ego that forces him to carry on like this."

Yes, and thats the funny part....
It's conventional to put your signature at the *end* of the message.
LOL

So, you can be made to dance at anyone's whim, anytime. For the rest of
your life.

Another LOL

Tom Forsmo

For all you know, the frequency of occurrence has a period greater than
the short elapsed time over which you've carried out testing.

Saying it "is the same thing" is like saying the cause of a wound
bleeding is the absence of bandaging. Using Java synchronisation could
be just a bandage, in which case you haven't detected the real cause.

Isn't it obvious?

You love it.

or "you love it, you slag..."

Funny :)
Obvious use of the strawman argument there. Your premise is false. I'm
not attacking you, I'm having a pleasant conversation with you.

In fact, we are all having pleasant conversations... :)

Tom Forsmo

Twisted said:

No its actually true, you do aggravate others, trust me that's why you
have been spending the better part of a week or two arguing this and a
couple of other threads :)
I did not throw the first punch, and anyone claiming otherwise is
either a retard or a liar.
If something I did is "aggravating", it was after I was provoked. By
you.

To say it with your words: [irrelevant dribble delete] (well no quite
deleted, but any way...)

But in any case, if you get into a street fight because some guy tries
to hit you and you throw a punch you that misses and then throws a punch
that kills the guy, you think you can get away with telling the police
its not your fault because he started it... lol

If you think this is a "pleasant conversation" then you are hopelessly
delusional and need to check yourself into the nearest psych ward.

The cat always thinks its pleasant to chase a mouse....

foo bar baz qux

Twisted said:
Jesus fucking Christ you're a moron. Haven't I just gotten through
telling you for the umpteenth time that you aren't letting me?!

Do you need my permission to cease posting to this thread? I grant you
that permission.

I'd love for this to end.

You don't demonstrate any belief this statement.

You'd shut up

Hypothetically, if your example had persuaded others to adopt your
posting philosophy, how would this thread come to an end?

... you insist that this fight (which you started)

I've already said that I view this as a conversation. You started the
"Bogus NullPointerExceptions" thread.

end on your terms, and that you must have the last word...

I've never written that. It is *you* who have publically stated that
you insist on that.

It's conventional to put hyphen hyphen space newline prior to your
signature.