Book advice:Deitel & Deitel

__frank__

What do you think about the following book:
"C How to Program", 4th edition,
ISBN: 0131426443

I'm a novice.

Thanks in advance.

Gaijinco

I have that book and for me is a good book, I specially like that has
many excercises which seems to be something that most books lack. I
found the explanations to be clear but it doesn't seem to be exhaustive
for some specific-programming topics (I would like more information on
recursion, for example) but it covers the C language very well.

But I have also found that there is no perfect-book for everyone. I
know of people that don't like the book at all. I also bought other
high-praised book that I found very unspiring (like C Primer)

So the best advice is to get to a bookstore and take to time to check
all books that you are considering! It's really the only way to get the
book YOU want.

c_learner

Malcolm

? Algorithms in C, Parts 1-5 (Bundle): Fundamentals, Data Structures,
Sorting, Searching, and Graph Algorithms (3rd Edition)

? The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set (Hardcover)

? Programming in C (3rd Edition) (Developer's Library) (Paperback)

Those are fine books, but the first two are way too advanced for a beginner
(I am not familar with Programming in C).

Deitel and Deitel is fine. Generally, however, the shortest books tend to be
the best primers. A short book also has the advantage that it is easier to
carry about if you are a student in a typical college.

Christopher Benson-Manica

c_learner said:
Actually book is not important, only practice is.

Not strictly true; it is, at the least, important to choose a book
with which Schildt was not involved.

__frank__

Christopher Benson-Manica ha scritto:
Not strictly true; it is, at the least, important to choose a book
with which Schildt was not involved.

Here in Italy, Schildt is suggested by a lot of teacher.
Someone told me that negative reviews was made by his haters...

Martin Ambuhl

__frank__ said:
Christopher Benson-Manica ha scritto:

Here in Italy, Schildt is suggested by a lot of teacher.
Someone told me that negative reviews was made by his haters...

One must ask why so many of us hate what Shildt writes. Precious few of
us have any relationship with the man; we have nothing to gain from his
downfall. His writing has haters because it is crap: it suggests
things which are not legal C; he suggests things which are tied to
particularly implementations; he presents his errors and
implementation-specific answers as "standard" C; he refuses to correct
his errors. To the extent that anyone "hates" the man himself, it is
because of his refusal to acknowledge or correct his errors. The
"someone" who told you "that negative reviews [were] made by his haters"
has things backwards. The negative reviews are the result of his
errors; any "haters" are the result of his unrepentant propagation of
those errors.

Michael B Allen

What do you think about the following book:
"C How to Program", 4th edition,
ISBN: 0131426443

I have this book. It's pretty good but it has a student (almost "for
Dummies") kind of flavor to it.

Personally I think I'm a stong technical reader so I much prefer concise
and exacting text. Therefore I would have to choose the C bible:

Kernighan & Ritchie _The C Programming Language_ (second edition)

Mike

spitfirex86

I'm a novice myself, and I've found Stephen Prata's "C Primer Plus"
(5th Edition, Sam's) very helpful.

Chris Hills

Actually book is not important, only practice is.

0 >Sorting, Searching, and Graph Algorithms (3rd Edition)

0 >
0 >
I would not have recommend those for a novice.

Chris Hills

Ulrich Eckhardt said:
http://accu.org has lots of book reviews, pick a good one.

Uli

the review of the Deitel C book is not there as it was done over a
decade ago. However I will dig out the review I did for the accu
tomorrow.

I have found I quite like the book having used it over the years

fb

Keith said:
See <http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html> for an example of why
Schildt is disliked. I understand he's shown some improvement, but
probably not enough.
Indeed. I managed to read through his latest Java book. (Java a
beginners guide 3rd ed.) It is surprisingly correct and thorough.
Unfortunately, I've read through his C texts as well and cannot condone
the egregious errors in them. This, in addition to the other points
referred to earlier is why I do not recommend Shildt.

Randy Howard

frank__ wrote
(in article said:
Christopher Benson-Manica ha scritto:

Here in Italy, Schildt is suggested by a lot of teacher.

All that tells us is that in Italy there are a lot of uninformed
teachers giving out bad advice. Don't feel bad though, that is
true in a lot of countries, unfortunately.
Someone told me that negative reviews was made by his haters...

The negative reviews are due primarily to the fact that people
far more knowledgeable about C and programming in general than
Mr. Shildt are quite annoyed with the amazing amount of
technical errors in his books, and his seeming inability to
learn over the years.