    ISBN: 0131426443

    I'm a novice.

    Thanks in advance.
    __frank__, Oct 15, 2005

  2. __frank__ wrote:
    > What do you think about the following book:

    http://accu.org has lots of book reviews, pick a good one.

    Uli
    Ulrich Eckhardt, Oct 15, 2005

  3. __frank__

    Gaijinco Guest

    I have that book and for me is a good book, I specially like that has
    many excercises which seems to be something that most books lack. I
    found the explanations to be clear but it doesn't seem to be exhaustive
    for some specific-programming topics (I would like more information on
    recursion, for example) but it covers the C language very well.

    But I have also found that there is no perfect-book for everyone. I
    know of people that don't like the book at all. I also bought other
    high-praised book that I found very unspiring (like C Primer)

    So the best advice is to get to a bookstore and take to time to check
    all books that you are considering! It's really the only way to get the
    book YOU want.
    Gaijinco, Oct 16, 2005
  4. __frank__

    c_learner Guest

    c_learner, Oct 16, 2005
  5. __frank__

    Malcolm Guest

    "c_learner" <> wrote
    ? Algorithms in C, Parts 1-5 (Bundle): Fundamentals, Data Structures,
    Sorting, Searching, and Graph Algorithms (3rd Edition)

    ? The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set (Hardcover)

    ? Programming in C (3rd Edition) (Developer's Library) (Paperback)

    Those are fine books, but the first two are way too advanced for a beginner
    (I am not familar with Programming in C).

    Deitel and Deitel is fine. Generally, however, the shortest books tend to be
    the best primers. A short book also has the advantage that it is easier to
    carry about if you are a student in a typical college.
    Malcolm, Oct 16, 2005
  6. c_learner <> wrote:

    > Actually book is not important, only practice is.

    Not strictly true; it is, at the least, important to choose a book
    with which Schildt was not involved.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Oct 16, 2005
  7. __frank__

    __frank__ Guest

    Christopher Benson-Manica ha scritto:

    > Not strictly true; it is, at the least, important to choose a book
    > with which Schildt was not involved.

    Here in Italy, Schildt is suggested by a lot of teacher.
    Someone told me that negative reviews was made by his haters...
    __frank__, Oct 16, 2005
  8. __frank__ wrote:
    > Christopher Benson-Manica ha scritto:
    >
    >> Not strictly true; it is, at the least, important to choose a book
    >> with which Schildt was not involved.

    > Here in Italy, Schildt is suggested by a lot of teacher.
    > Someone told me that negative reviews was made by his haters...

    One must ask why so many of us hate what Shildt writes. Precious few of
    us have any relationship with the man; we have nothing to gain from his
    downfall. His writing has haters because it is crap: it suggests
    things which are not legal C; he suggests things which are tied to
    particularly implementations; he presents his errors and
    implementation-specific answers as "standard" C; he refuses to correct
    his errors. To the extent that anyone "hates" the man himself, it is
    because of his refusal to acknowledge or correct his errors. The
    "someone" who told you "that negative reviews [were] made by his haters"
    has things backwards. The negative reviews are the result of his
    errors; any "haters" are the result of his unrepentant propagation of
    those errors.
    Martin Ambuhl, Oct 16, 2005
  9. On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:47:24 +0000, __frank__ wrote:

    > What do you think about the following book:
    > "C How to Program", 4th edition,
    > ISBN: 0131426443

    I have this book. It's pretty good but it has a student (almost "for
    Dummies") kind of flavor to it.

    Personally I think I'm a stong technical reader so I much prefer concise
    and exacting text. Therefore I would have to choose the C bible:

    Kernighan & Ritchie _The C Programming Language_ (second edition)

    Mike
    Michael B Allen, Oct 16, 2005
  10. __frank__

    Guest

    I'm a novice myself, and I've found Stephen Prata's "C Primer Plus"
    (5th Edition, Sam's) very helpful.
    , Oct 16, 2005
  11. __frank__

    Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    c_learner <> writes
    >Actually book is not important, only practice is.
    >
    >0 >Sorting, Searching, and Graph Algorithms (3rd Edition)
    >
    >0 >
    >0 >

    I would not have recommend those for a novice.
    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    Chris Hills, Oct 16, 2005
  12. __frank__ <> writes:
    > Christopher Benson-Manica ha scritto:
    >
    >> Not strictly true; it is, at the least, important to choose a book
    >> with which Schildt was not involved.

    > Here in Italy, Schildt is suggested by a lot of teacher.
    > Someone told me that negative reviews was made by his haters...

    See <http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html> for an example of why
    Schildt is disliked. I understand he's shown some improvement, but
    probably not enough.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 16, 2005
  13. __frank__

    Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, Ulrich Eckhardt
    <> writes
    >__frank__ wrote:
    >> What do you think about the following book:

    >http://accu.org has lots of book reviews, pick a good one.
    >
    >Uli

    the review of the Deitel C book is not there as it was done over a
    decade ago. However I will dig out the review I did for the accu
    tomorrow.

    I have found I quite like the book having used it over the years

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    Chris Hills, Oct 16, 2005
  14. __frank__

    fb Guest

    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > __frank__ <> writes:
    >
    >>Christopher Benson-Manica ha scritto:
    >>

    >>>Not strictly true; it is, at the least, important to choose a book
    >>>with which Schildt was not involved.

    >>Here in Italy, Schildt is suggested by a lot of teacher.
    >>Someone told me that negative reviews was made by his haters...

    > See <http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html> for an example of why
    > Schildt is disliked. I understand he's shown some improvement, but
    > probably not enough.

    Indeed. I managed to read through his latest Java book. (Java a
    beginners guide 3rd ed.) It is surprisingly correct and thorough.
    Unfortunately, I've read through his C texts as well and cannot condone
    the egregious errors in them. This, in addition to the other points
    referred to earlier is why I do not recommend Shildt.
    fb, Oct 17, 2005
  15. __frank__

    Randy Howard Guest

    frank__ wrote
    (in article <fXv4f.11266$>):

    > Christopher Benson-Manica ha scritto:
    >
    >> Not strictly true; it is, at the least, important to choose a book
    >> with which Schildt was not involved.

    > Here in Italy, Schildt is suggested by a lot of teacher.

    All that tells us is that in Italy there are a lot of uninformed
    teachers giving out bad advice. Don't feel bad though, that is
    true in a lot of countries, unfortunately.

    > Someone told me that negative reviews was made by his haters...

    The negative reviews are due primarily to the fact that people
    far more knowledgeable about C and programming in general than
    Mr. Shildt are quite annoyed with the amazing amount of
    technical errors in his books, and his seeming inability to
    learn over the years.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    Randy Howard, Oct 17, 2005