Book: Agile Web Development with Rails

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Stephen Kellett, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. Stephen Kellett, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Stephen Kellett wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Slashdot article on Book: Agile Web Development with Rails
    >
    > http://slashdot.org/articles/05/06/13/2025259.shtml?tid=192&tid=188
    >
    > I haven't noticed this mentioned here, but if it has, please accept my
    > apologies for any duplication.
    >
    > Stephen

    any reviews yet?
    any comments by ones who read (but not wrote) it?

    Jonas Hartmann, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Stephen Kellett

    Corey Lawson Guest

    Yes. Anything like that on Slashdot is bound to evoke emotions... and
    this story has brought out more than a few... *:)

    Me, personally, if I had the power to influence between asp/asp.net
    and Rails, I'd really push for Rails. They're both in about the same
    league, but Rails is much more flexible than ASP.Net w.r.t. being so
    tightly bound to the server. With one's Rails code, you can either
    override what Rails is doing, or go into the code and do it there, for
    everything. Not so with ASP.Net. All the JavaScript crud that it
    generates for the client are pretty IE-specific (and being anti-others
    in a few cases). Generate a form dyamically from your server, but
    actually post it to another? VERY obscure to do in ASP.Net. Stuff like
    that.

    Oh, that someone figured out how to use FastCGI+Rails with IIS is good, too=

    -Corey

    Corey Lawson, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Jonas Hartmann wrote:

    > Stephen Kellett wrote:
    >
    >> Slashdot article on Book: Agile Web Development with Rails
    >>
    >> http://slashdot.org/articles/05/06/13/2025259.shtml?tid=192&tid=188

    > any reviews yet?
    > any comments by ones who read (but not wrote) it?

    Yeah, a few.

    http://dema.ruby.com.br/articles/2005/06/05/rails-beta-book-review (very
    thorough)
    http://redhanded.hobix.com/inspect/railsBetabookHitsTheSpot.html
    http://blog.innerewut.de/articles/2005/06/10/review-of-agile-web-development-with-rails-part-ii
    http://www.billkatz.com/agile_web_rails

    And a guy who printed the book on with his very own demand.

    http://www.adamstiles.com/adam/2005/06/printing_the_be.html

    _why

    why the lucky stiff, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Stephen Kellett

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, why the lucky stiff wrote:

    > Jonas Hartmann wrote:
    >
    >> Stephen Kellett wrote:
    >>
    >>> Slashdot article on Book: Agile Web Development with Rails
    >>>
    >>> http://slashdot.org/articles/05/06/13/2025259.shtml?tid=192&tid=188

    >> any reviews yet?
    >> any comments by ones who read (but not wrote) it?

    > Yeah, a few.
    >
    > http://dema.ruby.com.br/articles/2005/06/05/rails-beta-book-review (very
    > thorough)
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/inspect/railsBetabookHitsTheSpot.html
    > http://blog.innerewut.de/articles/2005/06/10/review-of-agile-web-development-with-rails-part-ii
    > http://www.billkatz.com/agile_web_rails
    >
    > And a guy who printed the book on with his very own demand.
    >
    > http://www.adamstiles.com/adam/2005/06/printing_the_be.html
    >
    > _why

    thanks _why - good stuff!

    -a