    it out without a good reference).

    Your suggestions will be appreciated.

    www.richardfisher.com (awful frontpage version)

    Helpful person, Sep 24, 2007

  2. On Sep 23, 7:51 pm, Helpful person <> wrote:
    > I have written my web site using FrontPage and have disvovered that
    > apart from producing code that does not validate it also creates a
    > horrible structure. I have been teaching myself HTML reasonably
    > successfully and have almost completed rewriting my web. However, a
    > major gap in my knowledge is javascript.
    >
    > I am completely new to javascript and wish to learn this language. I
    > am looking for a book suitable for a beginner javascript user. (I
    > have extensive experience in other languages.) I paticularly need a
    > book that defines the syntax (It's driving me crazy trying to figure
    > it out without a good reference).
    >
    > Your suggestions will be appreciated.
    >
    > www.richardfisher.com(awful frontpage version)

    Great attitude!

    Randy's advice is very good.

    David Flanagan's book is the best option I know of for your needs. I
    use it regularly as a first reference. You may find the following blog
    reply I made helpful (along with all the other replies there.)

    comp.lang.javascript is definitely the best resource on the web for
    discussing JavaScript.

    Peter

    Peter Michaux, Sep 26, 2007

  3. Peter Michaux wrote:
    > Randy's advice is very good.

    Indeed. Yours isn't.

    > David Flanagan's book is the best option I know of for your needs. I
    > use it regularly as a first reference.

    You should use it as second reference instead, after this newsgroup and the
    online material referenced in its FAQ. The former has proven here to be
    factually incorrect, and to propose bad practice. Probably not as much as
    other books do, but there you are.

    > [...]
    > comp.lang.javascript is definitely the best resource on the web for
    > discussing JavaScript.

    It isn't on the Web, but only mirrored there (e.g. on Google Groups); it
    does not even really belong to the Internet (some people still use UUCP).

    Subscribers are strongly advised to post directly to a well-maintained
    Usenet server instead, using a locally installed newsreader application.
    I can recommend Mozilla Thunderbird for Windows and KNode for GNU/Linux.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Sep 26, 2007
  4. Thanks for the information. However, only one book has been
    mentioned, that by Flanagan. Is this book a general reference or does
    it also contain chapters on syntax, variable types, conventions etc.

    Thanks.

    www.richardfisher.com
    (It's amazing how google picks up on these links and gives one a very
    high position in page searches.)

    Helpful person, Sep 26, 2007
  5. Helpful person

    Guest

    On Sep 26, 9:34 pm, Helpful person <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the information. However, only one book has been
    > mentioned, that by Flanagan. Is this book a general reference or does
    > it also contain chapters on syntax, variable types, conventions etc.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > www.richardfisher.com
    > (It's amazing how google picks up on these links and gives one a very
    > high position in page searches.)

    The following link really helpt me:

    http://www.nexes.org/sun/javascript/ajaxinaction/Ajax in Action_ApB.html

    I just stumbled across it when learning Javascript myself. I know it
    is not a book but I felt I understood Javascript a lot better when I
    read this text. (At least a lot better than the book I read, which
    just rambled on and on about browser differences). At the bottom of
    the text these books are suggested:

    - David Flanagan's JavaScript: The Definitive Guide (O'Reilly, 2001)
    (already mentioned)
    - Nicholas Zakas's Professional JavaScript for Web Developers

    , Sep 26, 2007
  6. On Sep 26, 12:34 pm, Helpful person <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the information. However, only one book has been
    > mentioned, that by Flanagan. Is this book a general reference or does
    > it also contain chapters on syntax, variable types, conventions etc.

    Flanagan's book covers the JavaScript language (syntax etc) and the
    browser scripting environment (DOM, events, Ajax, vector graphics and
    even a little ActionScript). There is errata (some listed on the
    O'Reilly site) but it is a good book and I think the one you want. I
    can't say I like Flanagan's JavaScript programming style in all cases.
    He has written books on Java and that language has affected his
    JavaScript style a bit too much, I believe. Style is subjective, of
    course.

    Peter

    Peter Michaux, Sep 26, 2007
  7. On Sep 26, 3:57 pm, wrote:

    > The following link really helpt me:
    >
    > http://www.nexes.org/sun/javascript/ajaxinaction/Ajax in Action_A...
    >
    > I just stumbled across it when learning Javascript myself. I know it
    > is not a book but I felt I understood Javascript a lot better when I
    > read this text. (At least a lot better than the book I read, which
    > just rambled on and on about browser differences). At the bottom of
    > the text these books are suggested:
    >
    > - David Flanagan's JavaScript: The Definitive Guide (O'Reilly, 2001)
    > (already mentioned)
    > - Nicholas Zakas's Professional JavaScript for Web Developers

    Thanks for the link, it looks most interesting. I'm going to order
    Flanagan's book (latest edition 2006). Thanks a lot.

    www.richardfisher.com

    Helpful person, Sep 26, 2007