    Thanks a lot for reading this (and a much more in advance for answering
    :) )!

    Benjamin

    Benjamin H., May 5, 2009

  2. "Benjamin H." <> writes:
    > Could someone please tell me where to find literature according to the
    > different C-standards?
    > I've been searching for a book examining/describing the differences
    > between C89/90 and C99 for some time (days!) now.

    [...]

    The C99 standard itself contains a summary of major changes from C90,
    in the Foreword, starting at page xi.

    The latest draft is available at
    <http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1256.pdf>.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, May 5, 2009

  3. Benjamin H.

    Benjamin H. Guest

    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > The C99 standard itself contains a summary of major changes from C90,
    > in the Foreword, starting at page xi.
    >
    > The latest draft is available at
    > <http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1256.pdf>.

    Dear Keith,

    thank you very much for your very fast answer!
    I already read that document and it's foreword.

    I was wondering if there a real book (made of paper and such stuff ;-) )
    could be around due to some literature-works I've to do for one of my
    courses.
    Maybe it's quite enough for me to cite from open-std.org.

    However, thank you again! :)

    Benjamin

    Benjamin H., May 5, 2009
  4. "Benjamin H." <> writes:

    >I was wondering if there a real book (made of paper and such stuff ;-) )
    >could be around due to some literature-works I've to do for one of my
    >courses.
    >Maybe it's quite enough for me to cite from open-std.org.

    Maybe this:
    http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470845732.html

    (though there may have been fine-grain standard updates since its publication).

    --
    Chris.

    Chris McDonald, May 5, 2009
  5. Chris McDonald <> writes:
    > "Benjamin H." <> writes:
    >>I was wondering if there a real book (made of paper and such stuff ;-) )
    >>could be around due to some literature-works I've to do for one of my
    >>courses.
    >>Maybe it's quite enough for me to cite from open-std.org.

    > Maybe this:
    > http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470845732.html
    >
    > (though there may have been fine-grain standard updates since its
    > publication).

    That book, according to the description, consists of the C99 standard
    incorporating Technical Corrigendum 1, plus the Rationale.

    http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1256.pdf, on the
    other hand, consists of the C99 standard incorporating TC1, TC2, and
    TC3.

    The Rationale is available separately at
    <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/C99RationaleV5.10.pdf>.

    If you really feel the need for paper, you can always print the PDF
    files. (n1256 is 552 pages; the Rationale is 222 pages.) Personally,
    I wouldn't bother. "You can't grep dead trees."

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, May 5, 2009
  6. Keith Thompson <> writes:

    >http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1256.pdf, on the
    >other hand, consists of the C99 standard incorporating TC1, TC2, and
    >TC3.

    >The Rationale is available separately at
    ><http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/C99RationaleV5.10.pdf>.

    Thanks,

    >I wouldn't bother. "You can't grep dead trees."

    Google can!

    --
    Chris.

    Chris McDonald, May 5, 2009
  7. Benjamin H.

    CBFalconer Guest

    "Benjamin H." wrote:

    > Could someone please tell me where to find literature according
    > to the different C-standards? I've been searching for a book
    > examining/describing the differences between C89/90 and C99 for
    > some time (days!) now.

    Try the following. The things that say C99 are the standard.
    n869_txt.bz2 is a b2zipped version of n869.txt, which was the last
    text formatted version available.

    Some useful references about C:
    <http://c-faq.com/> (C-faq)
    <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf> (C99)
    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> (pre-C99)
    <http://www.dinkumware.com/c99.aspx> (C-library}
    <http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Introduction>

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, May 6, 2009
  8. Benjamin H.

    Benjamin H. Guest

    Hi Chuck, Keith and Chris!

    Thank you all very much for your answers. Today I talked to my prof.
    We decided that it'd be better to not cite from online-publications
    (i.e. "ordinary" websites) in academic work.

    However, thanx again for your help, have a good evening!

    Benjamin

    Benjamin H., May 6, 2009
  9. Benjamin H.

    Guest

    Keith Thompson <> wrote:

    > Oddly, webstore.ansi.org sells INCITS/ISO/IEC 9899-1999 (R2005) for
    > $30 and ISO/IEC 9899:1999 for $349 (the full member price is $279.20,
    > but membership is expensive). As far as I know, they're the same
    > standard.

    They are. The difference is that the ISO/IEC version is officially a
    reprint of the ISO document so most of the money goes to ISO. The
    INCITS version is officially published by INCITS, so they get to keep
    all of the money.
    --
    Larry Jones

    Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the Devil this afternoon. -- Calvin

    , May 6, 2009
  10. Benjamin H.

    CBFalconer Guest

    "Benjamin H." wrote: *** and top-posted - fixed ***
    > CBFalconer schrieb:
    >> "Benjamin H." wrote:
    >>
    >>> Could someone please tell me where to find literature according
    >>> to the different C-standards? I've been searching for a book
    >>> examining/describing the differences between C89/90 and C99 for
    >>> some time (days!) now.

    >> Try the following. The things that say C99 are the standard.
    >> n869_txt.bz2 is a b2zipped version of n869.txt, which was the last
    >> text formatted version available.
    >>
    >> Some useful references about C:
    >> <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>
    >> <http://c-faq.com/> (C-faq)
    >> <http://benpfaff.org/writings/clc/off-topic.html>
    >> <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf> (C99)
    >> <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> (pre-C99)

    .... snip ...

    > Thank you all very much for your answers. Today I talked to my prof.
    > We decided that it'd be better to not cite from online-publications
    > (i.e. "ordinary" websites) in academic work.

    Note that the publishers of n1256 are the ISO standards
    organization itself.

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, May 6, 2009
  11. In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Benjamin H. Did Inscribe:

    > Hello everyone!
    >
    > Could someone please tell me where to find literature according to the
    > different C-standards?
    > I've been searching for a book examining/describing the differences
    > between C89/90 and C99 for some time (days!) now.
    >
    > I was at open-std.org and such websites, but I would really appreciate
    > to have a book I can cite.
    >
    > Has anyone an idea, a tip, a hint?
    >
    > Thanks a lot for reading this (and a much more in advance for answering
    > :) )!
    >

    > Benjamin

    Benjamin,

    I don't think that such a book exists in C as it does in Fortran.

    I really profited off of my last fortran purchase, _The 2003 Fotran
    Handbook_, because the chapters follow the fortran standard. I could then
    look at the standard piece by piece and systematically.

    Start writing one.
    --
    Frank

    No Child Left Behind is the most ironically named act, piece of legislation
    since the 1942 Japanese Family Leave Act.
    ~~ Al Franken, in response to the 2004 SOTU address

    Franken Sense, May 7, 2009
  12. Benjamin H.

    Benjamin H. Guest

    Hi again!

    Just want to add some information I found, especially interesting for
    readers from Germany, I guess:

    An quite easy (and somehow the only?) way to get to quite a lot of
    C-literature is via the TIB at University of Hannover
    (http://www.tib.uni-hannover.de/). One can do a inter-library loan
    there, too.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin H., Jul 5, 2009