Book on C-Standards

Benjamin H.

Hello everyone!

Could someone please tell me where to find literature according to the
different C-standards?
I've been searching for a book examining/describing the differences
between C89/90 and C99 for some time (days!) now.

I was at open-std.org and such websites, but I would really appreciate
to have a book I can cite.

Has anyone an idea, a tip, a hint?

Thanks a lot for reading this (and a much more in advance for answering
:) )!

Benjamin

Keith Thompson

Benjamin H. said:
Could someone please tell me where to find literature according to the
different C-standards?
I've been searching for a book examining/describing the differences
between C89/90 and C99 for some time (days!) now.
[...]

The C99 standard itself contains a summary of major changes from C90,
in the Foreword, starting at page xi.

The latest draft is available at
<http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1256.pdf>.

Benjamin H.

Keith said:
The C99 standard itself contains a summary of major changes from C90,
in the Foreword, starting at page xi.

The latest draft is available at
<http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1256.pdf>.

Dear Keith,

thank you very much for your very fast answer!
I already read that document and it's foreword.

I was wondering if there a real book (made of paper and such stuff ;-) )
could be around due to some literature-works I've to do for one of my
courses.
Maybe it's quite enough for me to cite from open-std.org.

However, thank you again! :)

Benjamin

Keith Thompson

Chris McDonald said:
Maybe this:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470845732.html

(though there may have been fine-grain standard updates since its
publication).

That book, according to the description, consists of the C99 standard
incorporating Technical Corrigendum 1, plus the Rationale.

http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1256.pdf, on the
other hand, consists of the C99 standard incorporating TC1, TC2, and
TC3.

The Rationale is available separately at
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/C99RationaleV5.10.pdf>.

If you really feel the need for paper, you can always print the PDF
files. (n1256 is 552 pages; the Rationale is 222 pages.) Personally,
I wouldn't bother. "You can't grep dead trees."

CBFalconer

Benjamin H. said:
Could someone please tell me where to find literature according
to the different C-standards? I've been searching for a book
examining/describing the differences between C89/90 and C99 for
some time (days!) now.

Try the following. The things that say C99 are the standard.
n869_txt.bz2 is a b2zipped version of n869.txt, which was the last
text formatted version available.

Some useful references about C:
<http://c-faq.com/> (C-faq)
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf> (C99)
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> (pre-C99)
<http://www.dinkumware.com/c99.aspx> (C-library}
<http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Introduction>

Benjamin H.

Hi Chuck, Keith and Chris!

Thank you all very much for your answers. Today I talked to my prof.
We decided that it'd be better to not cite from online-publications
(i.e. "ordinary" websites) in academic work.

However, thanx again for your help, have a good evening!

Benjamin

lawrence.jones

Keith Thompson said:
Oddly, webstore.ansi.org sells INCITS/ISO/IEC 9899-1999 (R2005) for
$30 and ISO/IEC 9899:1999 for $349 (the full member price is $279.20,
but membership is expensive). As far as I know, they're the same
standard.

They are. The difference is that the ISO/IEC version is officially a
reprint of the ISO document so most of the money goes to ISO. The
INCITS version is officially published by INCITS, so they get to keep
all of the money.

CBFalconer

: *** and top-posted - fixed ***.... snip ...
Thank you all very much for your answers. Today I talked to my prof.
We decided that it'd be better to not cite from online-publications
(i.e. "ordinary" websites) in academic work.

Note that the publishers of n1256 are the ISO standards
organization itself.

irrelevant material. See the following links:

Franken Sense

In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Benjamin H. Did Inscribe:
Hello everyone!

Could someone please tell me where to find literature according to the
different C-standards?
I've been searching for a book examining/describing the differences
between C89/90 and C99 for some time (days!) now.

I was at open-std.org and such websites, but I would really appreciate
to have a book I can cite.

Has anyone an idea, a tip, a hint?

Thanks a lot for reading this (and a much more in advance for answering
:) )!

Benjamin

Benjamin,

I don't think that such a book exists in C as it does in Fortran.

I really profited off of my last fortran purchase, _The 2003 Fotran
Handbook_, because the chapters follow the fortran standard. I could then
look at the standard piece by piece and systematically.

Start writing one.
--
Frank

No Child Left Behind is the most ironically named act, piece of legislation
since the 1942 Japanese Family Leave Act.
~~ Al Franken, in response to the 2004 SOTU address

Benjamin H.

Hi again!

Just want to add some information I found, especially interesting for
readers from Germany, I guess:

An quite easy (and somehow the only?) way to get to quite a lot of
C-literature is via the TIB at University of Hannover
(http://www.tib.uni-hannover.de/). One can do a inter-library loan
there, too.

Benjamin

Keith said:
Benjamin H. said:
Hi Chuck, Keith and Chris!

Thank you all very much for your answers. Today I talked to my prof.
We decided that it'd be better to not cite from online-publications
(i.e. "ordinary" websites) in academic work.
[...]

Really? Even if the online publication is the definitive standard?
Anything you find in a printed book is just going to be derived from
the online publications.

I just checked webstore.ansi.org; they don't even sell hard copies
anymore. Perhaps ISO or some other national bodies still do.

I paid $18 for a PDF copy of the standard; it's gone up to $30 since
then. n1256.pdf is free on the committee's web site; it has more
recent updates, but it's not quite as official. The three TCs are
available from ANSI for free in PDF format, and are official ISO
publications. The rationale is available for free on the committee's
web site.