    for something that assumes that the reader has some experience with
    VHDL but not with the design of a CPU.

    Thanks
    John, Jun 29, 2003

  2. John

    Chao Guest

    This is one link from our Professor.

    http://users.etech.haw-hamburg.de/users/Schwarz/En/Publications/LinkPage/Sample.html
    Take a look at chapter 8.

    or

    http://users.etech.haw-hamburg.de/users/Schwarz/En/Lecture/Wahlfach_RISC.html

    Chao, Jul 1, 2003

  3. John

    John Guest

    John, Jul 2, 2003
  4. John

    john jakson Guest

    (John) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > This is one link from our Professor.
    > > http://users.etech.haw-hamburg.de/users/Schwarz/En/Publications/LinkPage/Sample.html
    > > http://users.etech.haw-hamburg.de/users/Schwarz/En/Lecture/Wahlfach_RISC.html

    > Thank you for trying to help but I can't understand most of it. I
    > don't know German well enough. I did look through some of the code,
    > but something in English would be much more helpful.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    Of the top of head, from my 6 books on Verilog on my desk, 2 or 3
    cover cpu design describing how to use behavioural v structural coding
    and get into quite a few details of simple risc design, pipelining,
    reg forwarding, caches etc. If you can handle reading some Verilog, it
    should still apply to VHDL too. None of my VHDL books do the cpu
    thing, but maybe google or amazon can help.

    Verilog Digital Computer Design: Algorithms Into Hardware
    by Mark Gordon Arnold 1999
    This guy has alot to say about PDP8 and ARM architecture...

    VLSI Chip Design With the Hardware Description Language Verilog:
    An Introduction Based on a Large RISC Processor Design
    by Ulrich Golze, Peter Blinzer, Elmar Cochlovius, Michael Schafers
    1996
    Describes the Toobsty? cpu built in out of date FPGA, but that doesn't
    really matter.

    HDL Chip Design
    by Douglas J. Smith
    This one will not give you a cpu text, but it is a highly reccomended
    cookbook full of synthesizable examples of component blocks you might
    build a cpu from in both languages, but you will still need a cpu
    text. How about John Hennesy etc.
    john jakson, Jul 5, 2003