    each does.

    Thanks.

    -==Kensu==-

    Chris Schumacher, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Chris Schumacher

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Chris Schumacher wrote:

    > Has a book been published that explains how to use the
    > Windows-specific header files? (windows.h, etc)

    Probably. You should best ask this question in a newsgroup about windows
    programming. comp.lang.c++ is only about the C++ language defined by
    the ISO standard, which does of course not contain any Windows specific
    headers.

    Rolf Magnus, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Chris Schumacher

    Mike Smith Guest

    Chris Schumacher wrote:

    > Has a book been published that explains how to use the Windows-specific
    > header files? (windows.h, etc)
    > I've been reading the header files themselves, and have managed to make
    > some sense out of them, but I'm getting tired of groping around in the
    > dark, and don't think I'm doing a very good job of figuring out what
    > each does.

    You're essentially asking if any books have been published about Windows
    programming in C and/or C++. You're *kidding*, right?

    --
    Mike Smith

    Mike Smith, Jul 27, 2004
  4. Chris Schumacher

    Wim Deprez Guest

    "Chris Schumacher" <> escribió en el mensaje
    > Has a book been published that explains how to use the Windows-specific
    > header files? (windows.h, etc)
    > I've been reading the header files themselves, and have managed to make
    > some sense out of them, but I'm getting tired of groping around in the
    > dark, and don't think I'm doing a very good job of figuring out what
    > each does.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -==Kensu==-

    well have you tried the msdn library? I'm not a fan, but at least you can
    start there:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/anch_windowsdev.asp

    good luck, but try to stick as much to the ISO standard path as you can,
    don't get lost in the dark forest!

    --wim

    Wim Deprez, Jul 27, 2004
  5. "Chris Schumacher" <> wrote in message
    > Has a book been published that explains how to use the

    Windows-specific
    > header files? (windows.h, etc)
    > I've been reading the header files themselves, and have managed to

    make
    > some sense out of them, but I'm getting tired of groping around in

    the
    > dark, and don't think I'm doing a very good job of figuring out what
    > each does.

    There's a 900-volume series by Microsoft Press about the Platform SDK
    with titles such as 'Inside MqOal.h' and 'Programming MMCObj.h' :)

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Turkanis, Jul 27, 2004
  6. There's a lot of books out there on Windows programming, not
    necessarily about the header files, but useful none the less.

    I think you'll find Win32 Programming by Rector / Newcomer about
    the best, its probably more than 1000 pages long, good chatty style,
    lots of meaty examples, covers everything from the GUI windows
    stuff, to the utility and system related things.

    I think this is a better book than the Microsoft Press series, although
    you'll find these useful - I'll take that back, get Jeffrey Ritchter's book
    on the Win32 api - that has some create examples too.

    dave

    Dave Townsend, Jul 28, 2004
  7. Chris Schumacher

    ChadBl Guest

    *Most* of the Windows books in the last 10 years have been about MFC
    programming, the braindead, bloated and slow wrapper classes for the
    Win32API.

    The difference is, if you want to write a simple "Hello World" app in
    Windows, an MFC app would (by default) generate at least a couple hundred
    lines of code and link in 6 different lib files before you even type in your
    own code, and in contrast, a Windows.h/Win32API based project would allow
    you to produce the same app with 5 lines of code.

    I know the original post was off-topic in this group, but I have a of
    respect for Windows developers that are willing to learn low-level [low
    overhead] Windows development.

    ChadBl, Jul 28, 2004