Book on Windows .h's

Chris Schumacher

Has a book been published that explains how to use the Windows-specific
header files? (windows.h, etc)
I've been reading the header files themselves, and have managed to make
some sense out of them, but I'm getting tired of groping around in the
dark, and don't think I'm doing a very good job of figuring out what
each does.

Thanks.

-==Kensu==-

Rolf Magnus

Chris said:
Has a book been published that explains how to use the
Windows-specific header files? (windows.h, etc)

Probably. You should best ask this question in a newsgroup about windows
programming. comp.lang.c++ is only about the C++ language defined by
the ISO standard, which does of course not contain any Windows specific
headers.

Mike Smith

Chris said:
Has a book been published that explains how to use the Windows-specific
header files? (windows.h, etc)
I've been reading the header files themselves, and have managed to make
some sense out of them, but I'm getting tired of groping around in the
dark, and don't think I'm doing a very good job of figuring out what
each does.

You're essentially asking if any books have been published about Windows
programming in C and/or C++. You're *kidding*, right?

Wim Deprez

Chris Schumacher said:
Has a book been published that explains how to use the Windows-specific
header files? (windows.h, etc)
I've been reading the header files themselves, and have managed to make
some sense out of them, but I'm getting tired of groping around in the
dark, and don't think I'm doing a very good job of figuring out what
each does.

Thanks.

-==Kensu==-

well have you tried the msdn library? I'm not a fan, but at least you can
start there:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/anch_windowsdev.asp

good luck, but try to stick as much to the ISO standard path as you can,
don't get lost in the dark forest!

--wim

Jonathan Turkanis

Chris Schumacher said:
Has a book been published that explains how to use the Windows-specific
header files? (windows.h, etc)
I've been reading the header files themselves, and have managed to make
some sense out of them, but I'm getting tired of groping around in the
dark, and don't think I'm doing a very good job of figuring out what
each does.

There's a 900-volume series by Microsoft Press about the Platform SDK
with titles such as 'Inside MqOal.h' and 'Programming MMCObj.h' :)

Jonathan

Dave Townsend

There's a lot of books out there on Windows programming, not
necessarily about the header files, but useful none the less.

I think you'll find Win32 Programming by Rector / Newcomer about
the best, its probably more than 1000 pages long, good chatty style,
lots of meaty examples, covers everything from the GUI windows
stuff, to the utility and system related things.

I think this is a better book than the Microsoft Press series, although
you'll find these useful - I'll take that back, get Jeffrey Ritchter's book
on the Win32 api - that has some create examples too.

dave

ChadBl

*Most* of the Windows books in the last 10 years have been about MFC
programming, the braindead, bloated and slow wrapper classes for the
Win32API.

The difference is, if you want to write a simple "Hello World" app in
Windows, an MFC app would (by default) generate at least a couple hundred
lines of code and link in 6 different lib files before you even type in your
own code, and in contrast, a Windows.h/Win32API based project would allow
you to produce the same app with 5 lines of code.

I know the original post was off-topic in this group, but I have a of
respect for Windows developers that are willing to learn low-level [low
overhead] Windows development.