Book Opinion-Expert C programming

anonymous

Hi CLCers,
I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
in advance.
Sha

Christopher Benson-Manica

(e-mail address removed) spoke thus:
I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden.

Never read the book, but I bet one can glean more "deep C secrets"
from the Gandalf-like wizards that haunt this newsgroup than from that
book.

osmium

I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
in advance.

I like it. Besides being useful it is also interesting, bits of trivia,
history and so on. For someone who already knows C and has K&R, I would
recommend this as the second book.

Richard Heathfield

Hi CLCers,
I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
in advance.

There are lots of bad books about C. This isn't one of them. :)

Default User

Richard said:
There are lots of bad books about C. This isn't one of them. :)

You are not failing to use a lot of double negatives today.

Brian Rodenborn

Jack Klein

(e-mail address removed) spoke thus:

Never read the book, but I bet one can glean more "deep C secrets"
from the Gandalf-like wizards that haunt this newsgroup than from that
book.

I would be very, very surprised if most of the "Gandalf-like wizards"
around here have not read this book already.

When you want to get beyond beginner's books, and even more advanced
"how-to" books, and become a disciplined producer of production
quality code in C, then you need the books that can show you what can
go wrong and how to keep it from happening.

There are three books in that category that I class as excellent, and
one of them is Van Der Linden's.

The other two are Andrew Koenig's "C Traps and Pitfalls", and Les
Hatton's "Safer C: Developing Software in High-integrity and
Safety-critical Systems".

About two years ago a brand new Border's book store opened in my town.
On my first visit, I browsed through the programming section to see
what had been selected to initially stock the shelves.

Of course there were large numbers of the "book-du-jour", but I was
quite pleased to see that many of the classics were on the shelf in
the C section, including:

--K&R2

--Harbison & Steele

--Van Der Linden's book.

--Koenig's book

--Steve Summit's book version of the comp.lang.c FAQ.

The only one that's really hard to get, at least in the US, is
Hatton's book, even though it is one every serious C programmer should
read.

It was voted the most important book on C (excepting K&R) of the 20th
century a few years ago by an ACCU conference.

You can't even order from US Internet book dealers, but you can from
amazon.co.uk or Blackwells in the UK.

Christopher Benson-Manica

Jack Klein said:
I would be very, very surprised if most of the "Gandalf-like wizards"
around here have not read this book already.

In that case, Jack Klein the White (if I may), I might have to go
purchase that book along with the others you mentioned. I want to
look in the palantir too! Thanks for the suggestions.

Raghavendra

Hi CLCers,
I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
in advance.
Sha

It's a very good book. I solved my problems and fixed many defects
after reading this book. My productivity has increased a lot also. I
would recommend this book after K&R.

--raghavendra

Dan Pop

In said:
I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
in advance.

You can learn a lot more from the newsgroup and its FAQ, but the book is
quite entertaining. Due to the 1$ / error first reported reward, later
printings are also significantly more accurate than the first one.

Dan

pete

Dan said:
You can learn a lot more from the newsgroup and its FAQ,
but the book is quite entertaining.
Due to the 1$ / error first reported reward, later
printings are also significantly more accurate than the first one.

Once here, somebody quoted the book as giving a function,
as an example of an object, which it isn't.
That's all I ever knew about the contents of the book.