    in advance.
    Sha

    , Feb 5, 2004

  2. spoke thus:

    > I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
    > programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden.

    Never read the book, but I bet one can glean more "deep C secrets"
    from the Gandalf-like wizards that haunt this newsgroup than from that
    book.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Feb 5, 2004

  3. osmium Guest

    <> wrote:

    > I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
    > programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
    > in advance.

    I like it. Besides being useful it is also interesting, bits of trivia,
    history and so on. For someone who already knows C and has K&R, I would
    recommend this as the second book.

    osmium, Feb 5, 2004
  4. wrote:

    > Hi CLCers,
    > I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
    > programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
    > in advance.

    There are lots of bad books about C. This isn't one of them. :)

    --
    Richard Heathfield :

    Richard Heathfield, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Default User Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi CLCers,
    > > I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
    > > programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
    > > in advance.

    > There are lots of bad books about C. This isn't one of them. :)

    You are not failing to use a lot of double negatives today.

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Jack Klein Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:34:50 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Benson-Manica
    <> wrote in comp.lang.c:

    > spoke thus:
    >
    > > I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
    > > programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden.

    > Never read the book, but I bet one can glean more "deep C secrets"
    > from the Gandalf-like wizards that haunt this newsgroup than from that
    > book.

    I would be very, very surprised if most of the "Gandalf-like wizards"
    around here have not read this book already.

    When you want to get beyond beginner's books, and even more advanced
    "how-to" books, and become a disciplined producer of production
    quality code in C, then you need the books that can show you what can
    go wrong and how to keep it from happening.

    There are three books in that category that I class as excellent, and
    one of them is Van Der Linden's.

    The other two are Andrew Koenig's "C Traps and Pitfalls", and Les
    Hatton's "Safer C: Developing Software in High-integrity and
    Safety-critical Systems".

    About two years ago a brand new Border's book store opened in my town.
    On my first visit, I browsed through the programming section to see
    what had been selected to initially stock the shelves.

    Of course there were large numbers of the "book-du-jour", but I was
    quite pleased to see that many of the classics were on the shelf in
    the C section, including:

    --K&R2

    --Harbison & Steele

    --Van Der Linden's book.

    --Koenig's book

    --Steve Summit's book version of the comp.lang.c FAQ.

    The only one that's really hard to get, at least in the US, is
    Hatton's book, even though it is one every serious C programmer should
    read.

    It was voted the most important book on C (excepting K&R) of the 20th
    century a few years ago by an ACCU conference.

    You can't even order from US Internet book dealers, but you can from
    amazon.co.uk or Blackwells in the UK.

    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    FAQs for
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++

    Jack Klein, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Jack Klein <> spoke thus:

    > I would be very, very surprised if most of the "Gandalf-like wizards"
    > around here have not read this book already.

    In that case, Jack Klein the White (if I may), I might have to go
    purchase that book along with the others you mentioned. I want to
    look in the palantir too! Thanks for the suggestions.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Raghavendra Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi CLCers,
    > I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
    > programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
    > in advance.
    > Sha

    It's a very good book. I solved my problems and fixed many defects
    after reading this book. My productivity has increased a lot also. I
    would recommend this book after K&R.

    --raghavendra

    Raghavendra, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Dan Pop Guest

    In <> writes:

    > I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
    >programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
    >in advance.

    You can learn a lot more from the newsgroup and its FAQ, but the book is
    quite entertaining. Due to the 1$ / error first reported reward, later
    printings are also significantly more accurate than the first one.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Feb 6, 2004
  10. pete Guest

    Dan Pop wrote:

    > In <> writes:
    >
    > > I want to know your opinion about the book: Expert C
    > >programming-Deep C secrets by Peter Van Der Linden. Thanks
    > >in advance.

    > You can learn a lot more from the newsgroup and its FAQ,
    > but the book is quite entertaining.
    > Due to the 1$ / error first reported reward, later
    > printings are also significantly more accurate than the first one.

    Once here, somebody quoted the book as giving a function,
    as an example of an object, which it isn't.
    That's all I ever knew about the contents of the book.

    --
    pete

    pete, Feb 6, 2004