    and use LOTS of examples, they help me learn much better than
    explanations.

    Thanks for any help.

    Bob, Jun 8, 2006

  2. Bob,
    I had tried to read many programming books to teach myself a
    programming language. With most books I couldn't get past the first few
    pages. I picked up "Begining Programming with Java for Dummies" by
    Barry Burd. It is "The Best" begining book for OO Programming. It can
    teach a total novice/dummy the basic OO concepts. I would reccommend
    this book to even seasoned programmers, because even they are baffled
    by OO concepts.
    I completed Burd's book and am reading Kathy Sierra's "Head First Java"
    which has many interesting exercises and comes highly reccommended by
    the Java community.
    I have also read that "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel is great for
    intermediate or guru-level Java folks.
    Feel free to email me any questions or suggestions. I like to hob-nob
    with other Java students.
    Good Luck!
    Fighting Bull

    fightingbull06, Jun 8, 2006

  3. Bob

    Paul Hamaker Guest

    Paul Hamaker, Jun 8, 2006
  4. Bob wrote:
    > First allow me to apologize as i am sure you all have been asked this 5
    > mil times but what do you all recomend for either the best book or
    > tutorial.
    >
    > i have experience in Perl(self taught). i tried Java for dummies but am
    > having some trouble getting down the whole class/object/etc.. thing i
    > am looking for something that can go through the basics in lamens terms
    > and use LOTS of examples, they help me learn much better than
    > explanations.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Take a look at the recommendations on the TechBookReport Java page
    (http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html). From what you say I'd
    suggest taking a look at Head First Java (reviewed:
    http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0165.html). Oh, and don't forget to
    take a look at Sun's tutorial.

    HTH

    --
    TechBookReport Java - http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

    TechBookReport, Jun 8, 2006
  5. Bob

    Mark Space Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > First allow me to apologize as i am sure you all have been asked this 5
    > mil times but what do you all recomend for either the best book or
    > tutorial.
    >
    > i have experience in Perl(self taught). i tried Java for dummies but am
    > having some trouble getting down the whole class/object/etc.. thing i
    > am looking for something that can go through the basics in lamens terms
    > and use LOTS of examples, they help me learn much better than
    > explanations.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    If you have a college or even community college nearby, this is your
    best choice. Many colleges, even big name ones, will work with
    professionals who need to increase their skills. You may need to skip
    the student counselors and make an appointment directly with the dean of
    the school you are interested in. Student counselors are, imho, dorks.

    That said, Learning Java by O'Reilly worked for me. Also get a copy of
    the latest NetBeans IDE netbeans.org). Go through the tutorials on
    Swing and Matisse (sp? the auto GUI builder thingy). Read the code
    generated by Matisse and figure out what it's really doing. This is
    when OO in Java started to click for me, when I saw how it's actually used.

    Mark Space, Jun 8, 2006
  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    fightingbull06 wrote:
    > Bob,
    > I had tried to read many programming books to teach myself a
    > programming language. With most books I couldn't get past the first few
    > pages. I picked up "Begining Programming with Java for Dummies" by
    > Barry Burd. It is "The Best" begining book for OO Programming. It can
    > teach a total novice/dummy the basic OO concepts. I would reccommend
    > this book to even seasoned programmers, because even they are baffled
    > by OO concepts.
    > I completed Burd's book and am reading Kathy Sierra's "Head First Java"
    > which has many interesting exercises and comes highly reccommended by
    > the Java community.
    > I have also read that "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel is great for
    > intermediate or guru-level Java folks.
    > Feel free to email me any questions or suggestions. I like to hob-nob
    > with other Java students.
    > Good Luck!
    > Fighting Bull

    ok guys,

    Thank you all for the help, i hav found some good reads on the links
    and ordered both "begining Programming with java for dummies" and "Head
    first Java", i will let you know how i do with them.

    once again thanks to everyone for thier help and knowledge.

    Bob, Jun 8, 2006