Book or Tutorial Recommendation

Bob

First allow me to apologize as i am sure you all have been asked this 5
mil times but what do you all recomend for either the best book or
tutorial.

i have experience in Perl(self taught). i tried Java for dummies but am
having some trouble getting down the whole class/object/etc.. thing i
am looking for something that can go through the basics in lamens terms
and use LOTS of examples, they help me learn much better than
explanations.

Thanks for any help.

fightingbull06

Bob,
I had tried to read many programming books to teach myself a
programming language. With most books I couldn't get past the first few
pages. I picked up "Begining Programming with Java for Dummies" by
Barry Burd. It is "The Best" begining book for OO Programming. It can
teach a total novice/dummy the basic OO concepts. I would reccommend
this book to even seasoned programmers, because even they are baffled
by OO concepts.
I completed Burd's book and am reading Kathy Sierra's "Head First Java"
which has many interesting exercises and comes highly reccommended by
the Java community.
I have also read that "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel is great for
intermediate or guru-level Java folks.
Feel free to email me any questions or suggestions. I like to hob-nob
with other Java students.
Good Luck!
Fighting Bull

TechBookReport

Bob said:
First allow me to apologize as i am sure you all have been asked this 5
mil times but what do you all recomend for either the best book or
tutorial.

i have experience in Perl(self taught). i tried Java for dummies but am
having some trouble getting down the whole class/object/etc.. thing i
am looking for something that can go through the basics in lamens terms
and use LOTS of examples, they help me learn much better than
explanations.

Thanks for any help.
Take a look at the recommendations on the TechBookReport Java page
(http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html). From what you say I'd
suggest taking a look at Head First Java (reviewed:
http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0165.html). Oh, and don't forget to
take a look at Sun's tutorial.

HTH

Mark Space

Bob said:
First allow me to apologize as i am sure you all have been asked this 5
mil times but what do you all recomend for either the best book or
tutorial.

i have experience in Perl(self taught). i tried Java for dummies but am
having some trouble getting down the whole class/object/etc.. thing i
am looking for something that can go through the basics in lamens terms
and use LOTS of examples, they help me learn much better than
explanations.

Thanks for any help.

If you have a college or even community college nearby, this is your
best choice. Many colleges, even big name ones, will work with
professionals who need to increase their skills. You may need to skip
the student counselors and make an appointment directly with the dean of
the school you are interested in. Student counselors are, imho, dorks.

That said, Learning Java by O'Reilly worked for me. Also get a copy of
the latest NetBeans IDE netbeans.org). Go through the tutorials on
Swing and Matisse (sp? the auto GUI builder thingy). Read the code
generated by Matisse and figure out what it's really doing. This is
when OO in Java started to click for me, when I saw how it's actually used.

Bob

fightingbull06 said:
[...]

ok guys,

Thank you all for the help, i hav found some good reads on the links
and ordered both "begining Programming with java for dummies" and "Head
first Java", i will let you know how i do with them.

once again thanks to everyone for thier help and knowledge.