    but what if I want more?
    Best regards
    Peter

    Piet, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Piet

    drs Guest

    "Piet" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    > I started programming (or hacking) python some time ago. Since python
    > offers a lot of Win32 specific extensions and since my OS will
    > probably stay Win2k for the next time, I would like to know the
    > possibilities of Win32 programming with python a little better. In
    > this context I stumbled over the book mentioned in the title, which
    > really looks like what I´ve been looking for, but I am a little afraid
    > because it was published 4 years ago and covers only python 1.52. Both
    > Python and the Win32 interface have been continuously developped, and
    > I don´t know whether the things I can learn from this book are still
    > useful today. Can somebody give me some advice whether this book is
    > still a good buy? I think it will surely be enough to get the basics,
    > but what if I want more?

    It is still very useful. While Python has changed, the parts that are
    covered in the book have not changed that much. Further, aside from .NET,
    win32 is about the same -- particularly since you are using the version of
    windows that was current when the book was published.

    -d

    drs, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Piet

    John J. Lee Guest

    "drs" <> writes:

    > "Piet" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    > > still a good buy? I think it will surely be enough to get the basics,
    > > but what if I want more?

    > It is still very useful. While Python has changed, the parts that are
    > covered in the book have not changed that much. Further, aside from .NET,
    > win32 is about the same -- particularly since you are using the version of
    > windows that was current when the book was published.

    New stuff not in the book: ctypes is very much worth looking at;
    IronPython and other .NET efforts are worth keeping an eye on, at
    least.

    John

    John J. Lee, Apr 22, 2004