Book "Programming on Win32" still useful?

Piet

Hi all,
I started programming (or hacking) python some time ago. Since python
offers a lot of Win32 specific extensions and since my OS will
probably stay Win2k for the next time, I would like to know the
possibilities of Win32 programming with python a little better. In
this context I stumbled over the book mentioned in the title, which
really looks like what I´ve been looking for, but I am a little afraid
because it was published 4 years ago and covers only python 1.52. Both
Python and the Win32 interface have been continuously developped, and
I don´t know whether the things I can learn from this book are still
useful today. Can somebody give me some advice whether this book is
still a good buy? I think it will surely be enough to get the basics,
but what if I want more?
Best regards
Peter

drs

Piet said:
Hi all,
I started programming (or hacking) python some time ago. Since python
offers a lot of Win32 specific extensions and since my OS will
probably stay Win2k for the next time, I would like to know the
possibilities of Win32 programming with python a little better. In
this context I stumbled over the book mentioned in the title, which
really looks like what I´ve been looking for, but I am a little afraid
because it was published 4 years ago and covers only python 1.52. Both
Python and the Win32 interface have been continuously developped, and
I don´t know whether the things I can learn from this book are still
useful today. Can somebody give me some advice whether this book is
still a good buy? I think it will surely be enough to get the basics,
but what if I want more?

It is still very useful. While Python has changed, the parts that are
covered in the book have not changed that much. Further, aside from .NET,
win32 is about the same -- particularly since you are using the version of
windows that was current when the book was published.

-d

John J. Lee

drs said:
It is still very useful. While Python has changed, the parts that are
covered in the book have not changed that much. Further, aside from .NET,
win32 is about the same -- particularly since you are using the version of
windows that was current when the book was published.

New stuff not in the book: ctypes is very much worth looking at;
IronPython and other .NET efforts are worth keeping an eye on, at
least.

John