    Cheers
    Owen
    PS. replies cc'd via email appreciated

    Owen, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Owen

    Damien Guest

    Owen wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I haven't done any "serious" dot net development in over six months, but I
    > am about to start a new job where I will be doing it every day.
    >
    > I want to get myself a couple of good books to arm myself with when I enter
    > the new job. My level is "experienced" but certainly not "expert". I need
    > something which serves as a good "reference" type book, for working with,
    > but also explains some of the basics in a plain english way.
    >
    > The emphasis would be on VB.NET and ASP.NET
    >
    > Any suggestions / reccomendations ?
    >

    > Cheers
    > Owen
    > PS. replies cc'd via email appreciated

    I've found "Programming Visual Basic .NET" from Microsoft Press quite
    useful for dipping into. I've got a couple of Wrox books (ASP.NET
    programmers reference and ADO.NET programmers reference) that I've used
    from time to time.

    I'd recommend "Writing Secure Code", again from Microsoft Press to
    anyone (even though it's not in the scope of your original request),
    since I believe that everyone should have an understanding of what they
    should and shouldn't do in this day and age (change "recommend" to
    "must read" if your ASP.NET is Internet facing rather than just
    intranet).

    Damien

    Damien, Sep 8, 2005

  3. Owen

    Owen Guest

    "Damien" <> wrote in message
    > Owen wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I haven't done any "serious" dot net development in over six months, but
    >> am about to start a new job where I will be doing it every day.
    >>
    >> I want to get myself a couple of good books to arm myself with when I
    >> enter
    >> the new job. My level is "experienced" but certainly not "expert". I
    >> need
    >> something which serves as a good "reference" type book, for working with,
    >> but also explains some of the basics in a plain english way.
    >>
    >> The emphasis would be on VB.NET and ASP.NET
    >>
    >> Any suggestions / reccomendations ?
    >>

    >> Cheers
    >> Owen
    >> PS. replies cc'd via email appreciated
    >>

    > I've found "Programming Visual Basic .NET" from Microsoft Press quite
    > useful for dipping into. I've got a couple of Wrox books (ASP.NET
    > programmers reference and ADO.NET programmers reference) that I've used
    > from time to time.

    Thanks Damien, I've just hopped over to Amazon and got myself tooled up.
    Got a couple of those 'In a Nutshell' books, too.

    Cheers,
    Owen

    Owen, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Owen

    Guest

    If you are going to be building web applications, then at some point,
    you may have to write a smart client too. Smart clients are the best of
    thin clients and thick clients (and more). If you haven't done so
    already, read up on them and consider buying the book at the following
    link:

    http://www.bookpool.com/.x/SSSSSS_C333/sm/1590595513

    , Sep 8, 2005