Book Recommendation - ASP.NET (+ADO.NET, with VB)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Saul, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. Saul

    Saul Guest

    Hi all,

    I was hoping to get ISBN or Name of a book to get seriously into ASP.NET
    using VB. Here is what I am looking for --

    1. Intermediate level. Explain the basic things very quickly, move on to the
    more interesting stuff and point me in the right direction if I really wanto
    to do something tricky.
    2. I may want to read it almost from cover to cover, but I also want it to
    be a good reference book.
    3. I know ASP, ADO already quite well, and quite a bit of VB.NET. It'll need
    to cover ASP.NET, ADO.NET all with VB examples.
    4. My main project is likely to revolve around SQL Server 2000, making a
    front end application to replace one that is currently partly in
    ASP/SQL2000/Crystal and partly in MS Access (95, can you believe it?! But it
    still works quite well!).

    I know that it's hard to pick a perfect book, and I sometimes spend ages
    reading a bit of each of them in bookshops just so I get the right one, but
    any real world feedback would be great. I have found some past posts on
    books, but these are fairly old now (2002).

    Thanks in advance,
    Saul

    Saul, Jun 25, 2004

  2. Saul

    Zenobia Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:43:04 +1000, "Saul"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I was hoping to get ISBN or Name of a book to get seriously into ASP.NET
    >using VB. Here is what I am looking for --
    >
    >1. Intermediate level. Explain the basic things very quickly, move on to the
    >more interesting stuff and point me in the right direction if I really wanto
    >to do something tricky.
    >2. I may want to read it almost from cover to cover, but I also want it to
    >be a good reference book.
    >3. I know ASP, ADO already quite well, and quite a bit of VB.NET. It'll need
    >to cover ASP.NET, ADO.NET all with VB examples.
    >4. My main project is likely to revolve around SQL Server 2000, making a
    >front end application to replace one that is currently partly in
    >ASP/SQL2000/Crystal and partly in MS Access (95, can you believe it?! But it
    >still works quite well!).
    >
    >I know that it's hard to pick a perfect book, and I sometimes spend ages
    >reading a bit of each of them in bookshops just so I get the right one, but
    >any real world feedback would be great. I have found some past posts on
    >books, but these are fairly old now (2002).
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Saul

    I have one of those old books they recommended here: "ASP.NET
    Unleashed" by Stephen Walther. It's good but long, 1440 pages.
    There's a new edition out now, but here's the ISBN anyway:
    0672320681. If you get Walther's book you may need a book on
    VB.NET as well. MSDN is the most useful reference.

    Zenobia, Jun 25, 2004