    teaches C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?

    Best

    Kai-Uwe Bux
    Kai-Uwe Bux, Jan 3, 2009

  2. Kai-Uwe Bux

    osmium Guest

    "Kai-Uwe Bux" wrote:

    > is there a textbook that teaches C++ as a first language? Something that
    > teaches C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?

    The authors that come to mind are Robert Lafore and Stephen Prata, I don't
    know which books, if any, are still being sold in retail stores. I already
    knew several languages when I started C++ so I am not qualified to tell
    whether they teach programming, but they may be reasonable approximations.
    Neither of them write what I would call "text books"; to me, there is a
    "feel" to a book, and certain appendixes, that makes it a text book. Deitel
    & Deitel write text books.

    At all costs, avoid the so called reviews in ACCU, if they are still
    available, see what the reviewers on Amazon say about the books that tempt
    you. Accelerated C++ would be a very poor choice, a huge number of
    experienced programmers absolutely love it, so you are likely to see someone
    proposing it..
    osmium, Jan 3, 2009

  3. Kai-Uwe Bux

    SG Guest

    On 3 Jan., 18:45, Kai-Uwe Bux <> wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > is there a textbook that teaches C++ as a first language? Something that
    > teaches C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?
    >
    > Best
    >
    > Kai-Uwe Bux

    How about "Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++" by
    Stroustrup? ( http://www.research.att.com/~bs/programming.html )

    I havn't read, though.

    Cheers!
    SG
    SG, Jan 3, 2009
  4. Kai-Uwe Bux

    LR Guest

    Kai-Uwe Bux wrote:

    > is there a textbook that teaches C++ as a first language? Something that
    > teaches C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?

    Francis Glassborow's "You Can Do It!: A Beginners Introduction to
    Computer Programming"

    LR
    LR, Jan 3, 2009
  5. > "Kai-Uwe Bux" wrote:

    >> is there a textbook that teaches C++ as a first language? Something that
    >> teaches C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?

    osmium answered:
    > Accelerated C++ would be a very poor choice, a huge number of
    > experienced programmers absolutely love it, so you are likely to see someone
    > proposing it..

    Whats wrong with "Accelerated C++"?

    --
    Thomas
    Thomas J. Gritzan, Jan 3, 2009
  6. Kai-Uwe Bux

    osmium Guest

    "Thomas J. Gritzan" wrote:

    >> "Kai-Uwe Bux" wrote:
    >>
    >>> is there a textbook that teaches C++ as a first language? Something that
    >>> teaches C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?

    > osmium answered:
    >> Accelerated C++ would be a very poor choice, a huge number of
    >> experienced programmers absolutely love it, so you are likely to see
    >> someone
    >> proposing it..

    > Whats wrong with "Accelerated C++"?

    In the context of this question, it is written for people who already "think
    like a programmer". This is no more an inborn trait that singing on key or
    drawing what you see or writing a lucid document.
    osmium, Jan 4, 2009
  7. Kai-Uwe Bux

    Grizlyk Guest

    > On Jan 3, 8:45 pm, Kai-Uwe Bux wrote:
    >
    > C++ as a first language
    > C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?

    > does both right

    I think anyone must set "programming" befor "C++". Programming means
    concrete "paradigm". The first paradigm to lern - (how this should be
    in inglish) "functional" or "structural"? The second - OOP.

    ==
    Grizlyk, Jan 4, 2009
  8. Kai-Uwe Bux

    arnuld Guest

    > On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 12:22:22 -0600, osmium wrote:

    > The authors that come to mind are Robert Lafore and Stephen Prata,

    I don't think both together can even replace "C++ primer (4/e) by Stanely
    Lippman"

    > At all costs, avoid the so called reviews in ACCU,

    After reading reading Accelerated C++, C++ Primer 3/e and 4/e and
    Stroustrup (special edition) I wrote my own experience on a piece of paper
    and found out I was unintentionally written the same review as ACCU ,
    (except of 3/e of C++ Primer).

    > if they are still
    > available, see what the reviewers on Amazon say about the books that
    > tempt you.

    Amazon reviews are there to waste your money, 3 years ago, I spent 15000/-
    of Indian rupees in buying books from amazon based on amazon reviews.
    Especially when I did not have much money, I cried a lot on what I did and
    I posted some threads on difference forums and Newsgroups so that no one
    else must waste his hard earned money. It is a lessons I still remember, I
    took me 6 months of work as a Trainee programmer to return the money to my
    friend and it was wasted, amazon reviews are written of bunch of people
    who are neither technical nor have any common-sense.

    If I want to buy a C++ book today,then I will do these 3 things together:

    1) check ACCU
    2) read FAQs
    3) search for books on compa.lang.c++ archives, this is the longest and
    most difficult step.

    > Accelerated C++ would be a very poor choice, a huge number
    > of experienced programmers absolutely love it, so you are likely to see
    > someone proposing it..

    its for those people who are already programmers, not for newbies. BTW, I
    think using C++ (or C) as a first learning programming language is a
    complete mistake. One can choose Python or Scheme for that.

    --
    www.lispmachine.wordpress.com
    my email is @ the above blog.
    arnuld, Jan 7, 2009