book recommendation request

Kai-Uwe Bux

Hi folks,

is there a textbook that teaches C++ as a first language? Something that
teaches C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

osmium

Kai-Uwe Bux said:
is there a textbook that teaches C++ as a first language? Something that
teaches C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?

The authors that come to mind are Robert Lafore and Stephen Prata, I don't
know which books, if any, are still being sold in retail stores. I already
knew several languages when I started C++ so I am not qualified to tell
whether they teach programming, but they may be reasonable approximations.
Neither of them write what I would call "text books"; to me, there is a
"feel" to a book, and certain appendixes, that makes it a text book. Deitel
& Deitel write text books.

At all costs, avoid the so called reviews in ACCU, if they are still
available, see what the reviewers on Amazon say about the books that tempt
you. Accelerated C++ would be a very poor choice, a huge number of
experienced programmers absolutely love it, so you are likely to see someone
proposing it..

LR

Kai-Uwe Bux said:
is there a textbook that teaches C++ as a first language? Something that
teaches C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?

Francis Glassborow's "You Can Do It!: A Beginners Introduction to
Computer Programming"

LR

Thomas J. Gritzan

osmium answered:
Accelerated C++ would be a very poor choice, a huge number of
experienced programmers absolutely love it, so you are likely to see someone
proposing it..

Whats wrong with "Accelerated C++"?

osmium

Thomas J. Gritzan said:
osmium answered:

Whats wrong with "Accelerated C++"?

In the context of this question, it is written for people who already "think
like a programmer". This is no more an inborn trait that singing on key or
drawing what you see or writing a lucid document.

Grizlyk

C++ as a first language
C++ _and_ programming at the same time (and does both right)?
does both right
I think anyone must set "programming" befor "C++". Programming means
concrete "paradigm". The first paradigm to lern - (how this should be
in inglish) "functional" or "structural"? The second - OOP.

==

arnuld

The authors that come to mind are Robert Lafore and Stephen Prata,

I don't think both together can even replace "C++ primer (4/e) by Stanely
Lippman"

At all costs, avoid the so called reviews in ACCU,

After reading reading Accelerated C++, C++ Primer 3/e and 4/e and
Stroustrup (special edition) I wrote my own experience on a piece of paper
and found out I was unintentionally written the same review as ACCU ,
(except of 3/e of C++ Primer).

if they are still
available, see what the reviewers on Amazon say about the books that
tempt you.

Amazon reviews are there to waste your money, 3 years ago, I spent 15000/-
of Indian rupees in buying books from amazon based on amazon reviews.
Especially when I did not have much money, I cried a lot on what I did and
I posted some threads on difference forums and Newsgroups so that no one
else must waste his hard earned money. It is a lessons I still remember, I
took me 6 months of work as a Trainee programmer to return the money to my
friend and it was wasted, amazon reviews are written of bunch of people
who are neither technical nor have any common-sense.

If I want to buy a C++ book today,then I will do these 3 things together:

1) check ACCU
2) read FAQs
3) search for books on compa.lang.c++ archives, this is the longest and
most difficult step.

Accelerated C++ would be a very poor choice, a huge number
of experienced programmers absolutely love it, so you are likely to see
someone proposing it..

its for those people who are already programmers, not for newbies. BTW, I
think using C++ (or C) as a first learning programming language is a
complete mistake. One can choose Python or Scheme for that.