Book recommendation

Discussion in 'C++' started by Allan Bruce, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Allan Bruce

    Allan Bruce Guest

    Hi there,

    I am wanting to learn c++ better. I can get by in c, and have really just
    used c++ as a 'c with classes' approach. I want to learn the
    object-oriented approach, STL and streams. Here is a list of books my
    library have, can anybody recommend any fo these?
    Thanks
    Allan

    "Programming in C++", Jean Ettinger, MacMillan 1994

    "Object-oriented programming in C++", Nicolai Josuttis, Wiley 2003

    "A natural introduction to computer programming with c++", Kari, Laitinen,
    trafford 2002

    "Accelerated c++: practical programming by example", Andrew Koenig,
    Addison-Wesley 2000

    "The C++ standard library: a tutorial and reference", Nicolai Josuttis,
    Addison-Wesley 1999

    "The C++ programming language", Bjarne Stroustrup, Addison-Wesley 1986

    "The C++ programming language - 2nd edition", Bjarne Stroustrup,
    Addison-Wesley 1991

    There are others - but these seem to be the general ones

    Allan Bruce, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Allan Bruce

    Allan Bruce Guest

    "Patrick Frankenberger" <> wrote in message
    > "Allan Bruce" wrote:
    > > Here is a list of books my
    > > library have, can anybody recommend any fo these?

    > > "Programming in C++", Jean Ettinger, MacMillan 1994
    > > "Object-oriented programming in C++", Nicolai Josuttis, Wiley 2003
    > > "A natural introduction to computer programming with c++", Kari,

    Laitinen,
    > > trafford 2002

    > I don't know any of these books, i would try the one of Josuttis first...
    >
    > > "Accelerated c++: practical programming by example", Andrew Koenig,
    > > Addison-Wesley 2000

    > If you don't have any (OO-)programming experience, this is the book to

    get.
    > It shows real C++ right from the start, object-oriented examples solving
    > real problems.
    >
    > > "The C++ standard library: a tutorial and reference", Nicolai Josuttis,
    > > Addison-Wesley 1999

    > Another great book. Get it or you'll miss it later. It holds everything

    the
    > title promises.It won't teach you C++ or OOP though...
    >
    > > "The C++ programming language", Bjarne Stroustrup, Addison-Wesley 1986
    > > "The C++ programming language - 2nd edition", Bjarne Stroustrup,
    > > Addison-Wesley 1991

    > These are outdated, C++ changed quite a bit since 1991.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Patrick

    I just noticed, the library has the 3rd special edition of Stroustrup - is
    this a better bet for me? It came highly recommended in the reviews
    Allan

    Allan Bruce, Jul 31, 2003

  3. "Allan Bruce" wrote:
    > I just noticed, the library has the 3rd special edition of Stroustrup - is
    > this a better bet for me? It came highly recommended in the reviews
    > Allan

    "The C++ Programming Language" is a language reference and not much more. I
    don't think it is a good book to learn programming in C++ with. Too
    detailed, bottom-up description of the language (which means you have to
    read hundreds of pages before you reach the interesting stuff) and it
    presumes the reader to already know OOP.

    I would recommend you to get Accelerated C++ first. It is a very compact
    introduction and still covers a broad range of topics. C++, STL, OOP, some
    computer science stuff such as invariants...

    HTH,
    Patrick

    Patrick Frankenberger, Jul 31, 2003