Book recommendation

Allan Bruce

Hi there,

I am wanting to learn c++ better. I can get by in c, and have really just
used c++ as a 'c with classes' approach. I want to learn the
object-oriented approach, STL and streams. Here is a list of books my
library have, can anybody recommend any fo these?
Thanks
Allan

"Programming in C++", Jean Ettinger, MacMillan 1994

"Object-oriented programming in C++", Nicolai Josuttis, Wiley 2003

"A natural introduction to computer programming with c++", Kari, Laitinen,
trafford 2002

"Accelerated c++: practical programming by example", Andrew Koenig,
Addison-Wesley 2000

"The C++ standard library: a tutorial and reference", Nicolai Josuttis,
Addison-Wesley 1999

"The C++ programming language", Bjarne Stroustrup, Addison-Wesley 1986

"The C++ programming language - 2nd edition", Bjarne Stroustrup,
Addison-Wesley 1991

There are others - but these seem to be the general ones

Allan Bruce

Patrick Frankenberger said:
I don't know any of these books, i would try the one of Josuttis first...

If you don't have any (OO-)programming experience, this is the book to get.
It shows real C++ right from the start, object-oriented examples solving
real problems.

Another great book. Get it or you'll miss it later. It holds everything the
title promises.It won't teach you C++ or OOP though...

These are outdated, C++ changed quite a bit since 1991.

HTH,
Patrick

I just noticed, the library has the 3rd special edition of Stroustrup - is
this a better bet for me? It came highly recommended in the reviews
Allan

Patrick Frankenberger

Allan Bruce said:
I just noticed, the library has the 3rd special edition of Stroustrup - is
this a better bet for me? It came highly recommended in the reviews
Allan

"The C++ Programming Language" is a language reference and not much more. I
don't think it is a good book to learn programming in C++ with. Too
detailed, bottom-up description of the language (which means you have to
read hundreds of pages before you reach the interesting stuff) and it
presumes the reader to already know OOP.

I would recommend you to get Accelerated C++ first. It is a very compact
introduction and still covers a broad range of topics. C++, STL, OOP, some
computer science stuff such as invariants...

HTH,
Patrick