    these things.

    Can anyone recommend a good book for this sort of level?

    Thanks in advance!

    Andy, Jun 26, 2008

  2. Andy

    Ivan Novick Guest

    On Jun 25, 6:42 pm, Andy <> wrote:
    > I am looking to venture into the world of c++ and was looking to buy
    > myself a book to help me out a bit. I know moderate amounts of java and
    > php, and I know what all the basic terms etc are (so I don't need a book
    > telling me what a variable is, or a method etc). However I am no guru at
    > these things.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good book for this sort of level?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html

    You can't go wrong with Stroustrup. Maybe a little tough going at
    first, but worth it.

    Ivan Novick
    http://www.mycppquiz.com/

    Ivan Novick, Jun 26, 2008

  3. Andy

    glen stark Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:20:16 -0700, Mike Wahler wrote:

    > "Andy" <> wrote in message
    >>I am looking to venture into the world of c++ and was looking to buy
    >>myself a book to help me out a bit. I know moderate amounts of java and
    >>php, and I know what all the basic terms etc are (so I don't need a book
    >>telling me what a variable is, or a method etc). However I am no guru at
    >>these things.
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a good book for this sort of level?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    > Often recommended for folks who don't know C++ but have experience in
    > other languages:
    > http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/
    >
    > I have a copy of this book, and highly recommend it.
    >
    > -Mike

    I think stroustrup makes a great reference, and is fantastic for learning
    the language in detail. But I wouldn't recommend it for starting out with
    C++. Accelerated cpp is highly regarded. Based on my impression of your
    skill description, I would recommend the O'Reilly book "Practical C++
    Programming" by Seve Oualline. You won't be an expert after reading it,
    but you'll be ready to program, and be prepared for more advanced texts.

    - Glen

    glen stark, Sep 14, 2008