Book recommendations

Linus Nikander

Browsing peoples comments at amazon might be rewarding, but it sure takes a
lot of time. I'm trying to find good (best) books for a couple of
java-related areas. As most people who subscribe to this newsgroup probably
have a bunch of books at home this should be the ideal place to ask for
recommendations. So, what are your recommendations for good books on any/all
of the following subjects:

J2EE Patterns
Struts
JUnit (or testing in general, JUnit seems to be one of the most widely
accepted, haven't seen a lot of books for it though)
EJB (more interested in performance tuning, best practices etc, not EJB as a
technology)
Weblogic 7.x or 8.x (Administration, tuning, best practices for EJBs and
enterprise solutions)

All recommendations appreciated.

//Linus Nikander - (e-mail address removed)

David Thielen

I think "Struts in Action" is real good

[...]

Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com
DefendTek -- http://www.DefendTek.com
Page 2 Stage -- http://www.Page2Stage.com
Enemy Nations -- http://www.EnemyNations.com
me -- http://dave.thielen.com
Barbie Science Fair -- http://www.BarbieScienceFair.info
Hillary Clinton -- http://www.HillaryIn2004.org
(yes I have lots of links)

lvirden

According to Linus Nikander <[email protected]>:
:JUnit (or testing in general, JUnit seems to be one of the most widely
:accepted, haven't seen a lot of books for it though)

I'm looking for something similar - info on developing a
solid testing plan/strategy, with a Java slant.

Books I've looked at so far:

Testing IT: An Off-The-Shelf Software Testing Process - 2001 315 pages $45 US - John Watkins

I've read this one - great coverage of the area of testing in general.
Doesn't have language specific tips. But it does cover the process of
testing, with lots of sample forms that seem to be of use if you are trying
to get organized.

The Unified Software Development Process / Ivar Jacobson, Grady Booch, James Rumbaugh , $59.99 463 pages, 1999

I'm reading this one as well. Again, covers the process. Comes at it
from a Rational Unified process approach, which is where I'm coming from.
Too far to go to know for certain, but I'm guessing not too much language
specific there either.

Some of the books I've had recommended - but not yet seen, are:

A Practical Guide to testing object-oriented software - $44.95, David A Sykes, John D. McGregor 393 pages, 2001

Object Lifecycles - Modeling the World in States, Cummings, Shlaer, Mellor - Booch article "Object-Oriented Design with Applications"

Lessons learned in Software Testing - Cern Kaner

Testing Computer Software, 2nd Edition by Cem Kaner

Software Testing and Continuous Quality Improvement by William E. Lewis

How to Break Software: A Practical Guide to Testing by James A. Whittaker

Software Test Automation by Dorothy Graham,

Effective software testing : 50 specific ways to improve your testing / Elfriede Dustin. 2003 271 p.

Test-driven development : by example / Kent Beck 2003, 220 p.

Software testing : a craftman's approach / Paul C. Jorgensen Edition: 2nd ed. 2002 359 p.

Test process improvement : a practical step-by-step guide to structured testing / Tim Koomen, Martin Pol. 1999 215 p.

How to test software packages : a step-by-step guide to assuring they do what you want / William E. Perry. 1986 231 p.

The Object Primer, 2nd Edition http://www.ambysoft.com/theObjectPrimer.html has a chapter on OO testing

Process Patterns http://www.ambysoft.com/processPatterns.html discusses techniques for developing OO software.

More Process Patterns http://www.ambysoft.com/moreProcessPatterns.html

Building Object Applications That Work http://www.ambysoft.com/buildingObjectApplications.html

Full Lifecycle Object-Oriented Testing (Ambler, 1998a; Ambler, 1998b; Ambler, 2000d),

Test In the Small process pattern (Ambler, 1998b)

Test In The Large process pattern (Ambler, 1999)

more references on The Process Patterns Page http://www.ambysoft.com/processPatternsPage.html

Classical and Object-Oriented Software Engineering with UML and Java, 4th edition, Stephen R. Schach, McGraw-Hill, 1999