    --
    Newsguy 20 GB Free Trial Accounts
    http://newsguy.com/overview.htm

    Arnold, Dec 20, 2007

  2. On Dec 20, 11:02 am, Arnold <> wrote:
    > I have an upcoming project that will require more use of Javascript or AJAX to
    > updates parts of web pages. Any suggestions for a moderate level book covering
    > AJAX? TIA

    The book that I find useful and has frequently been referred to on
    this group as the "least bad book on JavaScript" is in the faq. There
    is plenty of errata to watch out for.

    http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ3_1

    The book "Bulletproof JavaScript" sounds great and i think it has some
    good concepts (and some less than good ones) but the code isn't
    bulletproof, unfortunately.

    The problem is that none of the books I've seen talk about things like
    memory leaks in Internet Explorer or feature testing that the Ajax
    will work as expected in earlier browsers that had support for
    XMLHttpRequest objects.

    There are plenty of popular Ajax libraries out there but none of them
    seem to be of sufficient quality to be recommended by members of this
    group. Part of the problem is they libraries are bloated with features
    you won't need yet your clients will need to download them. If I had
    to choose I would choose YUI's ajax library. That is one of their
    better modules, I think.

    It isn't too hard to write your own Ajax library but it does take some
    research. I wrote my own

    http://forkjavascript.org/ajax/docs
    http://dev.forkjavascript.org/trac/browser/trunk/public/javascripts/fork/ajax.js

    But now regret I fell into the trap of having all features in one
    file. Hopefully this will be remedied soon with a new project some of
    the group members have been discussing.

    http://cljs.michaux.ca/

    Peter

    Peter Michaux, Dec 20, 2007

  3. Arnold

    Guest

    On Dec 20, 11:02 am, Arnold <> wrote:
    > I have an upcoming project that will require more use of Javascript or AJAX to
    > updates parts of web pages. Any suggestions for a moderate level book covering
    > AJAX? TIA

    Ajax Design Patterns - high level overview of Ajax patterns. This book
    has lots of UI/UX based ideas, is light on code, has pictures/diagrams
    and is objective (not biased towards any library).

    Other non-Ajax books I've found useful are Domain Driven Design
    (Evans), Refactoring (Fowler), Effective Java (Bloch), Agile Software
    Development (Martin), Head First Design Patterns (Sierra/Bates, et c).
    I find these books helpful because of the general concepts for coding
    and programming.

    Garrett

    > Arnold
    > --