    a bad one just leaves you in complete despair I would be very grateful for
    recommendations.

    Thank you in advance.

    M, Apr 3, 2011

  2. M

    Neil Gould Guest

    Hi M,

    M wrote:
    > I need to find a good self study guide to HTML. As part of my job I
    > now have to maintain the companies many intranet sites using
    > Microsoft Visual web Developer 2008 Express Edition. This has so far
    > amounted to only very minor changes but I will be expected to do more
    > in the future. This will involve both editing code directly and
    > using the IDE.
    >
    > A suitable book would be a complete course almost like a
    > correspondence course (without the correspondence), between 500 and
    > 1000 pages, include exercises and assume the reader is a complete
    > novice. A definite "if you can't learn it from this give up" type of
    > book.
    >
    > Knowing from past experience that a good book is worth it weight in
    > gold and a bad one just leaves you in complete despair I would be
    > very grateful for recommendations.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    There is a difference between understanding HTML and understanding any
    particular development app and IDE. Many in this newsgroup, myself included,
    have given up on specific development apps for HTML because it can be
    faster, easier, and more reliable to write the code with a text editor. This
    approach only requires that you know HTML, instead of the necessity to learn
    HTML as well as comprehend and master the quirks of an app generating HTML.
    In short, you won't be able to debug the apps' code without understanding
    HTML, but if you do understand HTML, you won't need the app!

    In your case, the down-side is that you will be dealing with a volume of
    existing code on an intranet, and that may require that you know more than
    just HTML. For example, if the intranet involves server-side activities such
    as data management, you will also need to learn the scripting language(s)
    used for the server-side code. This could be just the tip of the iceberg,
    since you may also be faced with learning a database interface language (or
    more than one of these), a content management interface such as WordPress or
    Joomla, etc.

    So, my best advice at this point is for you to determine as much as you can
    about the scope of your job with regard to the existing intranet's
    structure, and to expect to need more than one book to manage and expand it.
    Beyond that, without knowing your background, learning style or preferences,
    I can't recommend anything specific.

    --
    best regards,

    Neil

    Neil Gould, Apr 3, 2011

  3. M

    P E Schoen Guest

    "Neil Gould" wrote in message news:in9rmr$ef1$...

    > M wrote:

    >> I need to find a good self study guide to HTML. As part of my
    >> job I now have to maintain the companies many intranet sites
    >> using Microsoft Visual web Developer 2008 Express Edition. This
    >> has so far amounted to only very minor changes but I will be expected
    >> to do more in the future. This will involve both editing code directly
    >> and using the IDE.

    >> A suitable book would be a complete course almost like a
    >> correspondence course (without the correspondence), between
    >> 500 and 1000 pages, include exercises and assume the reader is a
    >> complete novice. A definite "if you can't learn it from this give up"
    >> type of book.

    [snip]
    > So, my best advice at this point is for you to determine as much as
    > you can about the scope of your job with regard to the existing
    > intranet's structure, and to expect to need more than one book to
    > manage and expand it. Beyond that, without knowing your
    > background, learning style or preferences, I can't recommend
    > anything specific.

    I tend to learn things mostly by trial and error, and my first HTML efforts
    (in 1996) were done by modifying existing simple web pages that were similar
    to what I needed. Then I found some simple references on-line which mostly
    described some common tags, and then a few years later I bought some books,
    but they were already almost obsolete. Now I have a large stack of "old"
    books, and sometimes I just scan the newer ones from the beginning to
    refresh my knowledge and fill in some gaps. As with many skills, I use HTML,
    JavaScript, and CGI only occasionally, and I usually find it is better to
    search on-line for specific help. I've also learned that there is a lot of
    wrong or obsolete material in books as well as on-line.

    It is helpful to have a printed reference for basic information such as
    tags, but I have found that it is difficult to follow step-by-step
    construction of a website from a book, and often the website is different
    than what I need so I am forced to learn things that are not applicable to
    my interests and I abandon the process and just start building what I want
    and trying different things.

    For some concepts, I have found short tutorial movies to be quite helpful,
    as they tend to hold my interest better than printed material (especially if
    the movie is well done). Also, interactive on-line tutorials are very
    useful, especially those that allow editing and validation without having to
    bounce around between an editor and the validator and the final presentation
    in the browser.

    I have used various WYSIWYG HTML editors, and SaveAs HTML options, with a
    wide range of results. More often than not, I edit the resulting HTML to
    format it for better human-readability, and sometimes to fix actual errors
    or to do things not available otherwise. I have also tried several CMSs, and
    many of them seem (to me) difficult to use and too restrictive. I maintain
    one website which uses GoogleSites, and it is useful for other (non-techie)
    members to add and modify content, but I find it frustrating and it does not
    provide full HTML editing capability or direct FTP access to upload files.

    If the objective is to provide comprehensive HTML and general website
    training, especially for "dummies", you have to start at an extreme basic
    level, and even then there are differences in peoples' comprehension of
    various concepts of the workings of computers, files, software, networks,
    servers, scripts, editors, email, databases, graphics, browsers, bandwidth,
    and security. And there are also the important considerations of content,
    aesthetics, ergonomics, and accessibility. If this course is specific to a
    certain intranet website, it will need to be tailored to that as well as
    individual skill level.

    HTH,

    Paul

    P E Schoen, Apr 3, 2011