Books about computer geeks?

rick

Hi.
I am a college kid and need some advice.
I have an assignment to write about some contemporary culture for an
anthropology class.
Anyone know of any books about computer geek culture?
thanks.

Keith Thompson

rick said:
I am a college kid and need some advice.
I have an assignment to write about some contemporary culture for an
anthropology class.
Anyone know of any books about computer geek culture?

This newsgroup discusses the C programming language. I'm not sure
where your question would be topical (maybe alt.folklore.computers?).

Richard

Keith Thompson said:
This newsgroup discusses the C programming language. I'm not sure
where your question would be topical (maybe alt.folklore.computers?).

I think you have just been trolled Keith :-;

Chris Johnson

rick said:
Hi.
I am a college kid and need some advice.
I have an assignment to write about some contemporary culture for an
anthropology class.
Anyone know of any books about computer geek culture?
thanks.

K&R?

Bob Martin

in 701615 20061017 002030 "rick said:
Hi.
I am a college kid and need some advice.
I have an assignment to write about some contemporary culture for an
anthropology class.
Anyone know of any books about computer geek culture?
thanks.

Just follow this newsgroup for a few days.

Kenny McCormack

Just follow this newsgroup for a few days.

Yes, and see the sorry state of current geek culture.
See how, as always happens, the revolutionaries end up re-inventing the
culture that they started out being against.

William Hughes

Richard said:
I think you have just been trolled Keith :-;

Possibly, or possibly not. The OP may have been trolling and/or
making a joke, or he/she may have been making a serious
request. Even assuming it were possible, determining which
would take a lot more time and effort than just giving the
appropriate answer assuming a serious request.

- William Hughes

P.S. If this were a joke then "know any good source of information"
would be much better than "know any good books"

Richard

William Hughes said:
Possibly, or possibly not. The OP may have been trolling and/or
making a joke, or he/she may have been making a serious
request. Even assuming it were possible, determining which
would take a lot more time and effort than just giving the
appropriate answer assuming a serious request.

Better to ignore.

Rick=Rosario=Shawn

This is comp.lang.c : to come here and ask for books about geek culture
can be nothing more than a troll.

The people here *ARE* seen as geeks - they don't write or read these
books. These books are about the people here.

It's quite straightforward. No need to over analyse.

Ben Pfaff

Richard said:
This is comp.lang.c : to come here and ask for books about geek culture
can be nothing more than a troll.

It's a pretty subtle troll then, given the quantity of genuinely
off-topic material posted here.

Richard

Ben Pfaff said:
It's a pretty subtle troll then, given the quantity of genuinely
off-topic material posted here.

There is nothing subtle about it. I would suggest, having a quick glance
at the number of "this is OT" frenzies that most such are indeed
trolls. I don't know why people cant just ignore the obvious ones. You
don't think it was an obvious troll? Had it been crossposted to other
tech groups then maybe not, but as it is, this NG is famous for jobsworths
having a feeding frenzy whenever real OT posts are made. If that wasn't
a troll then the world is a cube.

William Hughes

Richard said:
Better to ignore.

Rick=Rosario=Shawn

This is comp.lang.c : to come here and ask for books about geek culture
can be nothing more than a troll.

Definitions of "begging the question" belong in alt.usage.english.

- William Hughes

William Hughes

Richard said:
Better to ignore.

Rick=Rosario=Shawn

This is comp.lang.c : to come here and ask for books about geek culture
can be nothing more than a troll.

Definitions of "begging the question" belong in alt.usage.english.

- William Hughes

Christopher Benson-Manica

Richard said:
Better to ignore.

I disagree - even if these are trolls (the OP does seem to be
suspicious, but most are not), it's better to respond seriously to
them (by flagging them as OT and redirecting) for the benefit of
casual, naive, or otherwise unaware group readers who might otherwise
be tempted to attempt to answer.
Rick=Rosario=Shawn

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but if this
individual(s) makes a habit of posting off topic, (s)he will be
plonked in due time.

Richard Bos

rick said:
I am a college kid and need some advice.
I have an assignment to write about some contemporary culture for an
anthropology class.
Anyone know of any books about computer geek culture?

Eh, don't bother. You're taking a soft subject - just make your
references up, nobody's gonna check anyway.

Richard

Clever Monkey

Kenny said:
Yes, and see the sorry state of current geek culture.
See how, as always happens, the revolutionaries end up re-inventing the
culture that they started out being against.
What the hell are you going on about? What revolution?

Clever Monkey

Richard said:
Eh, don't bother. You're taking a soft subject - just make your
references up, nobody's gonna check anyway.
Heh. Given what I've learned over the last few decades, there is
certainly more rigour in most anthropology departments than most
software shops.