    Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed step by step examples is desired.

    Thank you,
    , Sep 2, 2012

  2. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 2, 2012

  3. On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 09:50:24 -0700, clusardi2k wrote:

    > Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed
    > step by step examples is desired.

    What do you mean by a 'web service' and what must it support?

    IOW if you start by installing a good web server, such as Apache, which
    provides plain HTML and simple web logins out of the box, what else is
    required? Tomcat? Beans? JSP? SQL/NoSQL DB support?

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Sep 2, 2012
  4. On 9/2/2012 1:21 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 09:50:24 -0700, clusardi2k wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed
    >> step by step examples is desired.
    >>

    > What do you mean by a 'web service' and what must it support?
    >
    > IOW if you start by installing a good web server, such as Apache, which
    > provides plain HTML and simple web logins out of the box, what else is
    > required? Tomcat? Beans? JSP? SQL/NoSQL DB support?

    The term "web service" is generally used to describe
    a programmatic service with HTTP as the protocol.

    In the Java world that means JAX-WS (for SOAP) and
    JAX-RS (fro RESTful).

    And a servlet container like Tomcat.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 2, 2012

    On Sunday, September 2, 2012 12:50:24 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
    > Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed step by step examples is desired. Thank you,

    I'm new to building web services. Can you recommend a "good" general book for me to read. Again, I'm trying to understand the basic steps involved. It has to be detailed/practical enough for me to use.

    Thanks,
    , Sep 10, 2012
  6. markspace Guest

    On 9/10/2012 5:02 AM, wrote:
    > On Sunday, September 2, 2012 12:50:24 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
    >> Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with
    >> detailed step by step examples is desired. Thank you,

    > I'm new to building web services. Can you recommend a "good" general
    > book for me to read. Again, I'm trying to understand the basic steps
    > involved. It has to be detailed/practical enough for me to use.

    Try this:

    <http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596521134.do>
    markspace, Sep 10, 2012
  7. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 9/10/2012 8:02 AM, wrote:
    > On Sunday, September 2, 2012 12:50:24 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
    >> Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed step by step examples is desired.

    > I'm new to building web services. Can you recommend a "good" general
    > book for me to read. Again, I'm trying to understand the basic steps
    > involved. It has to be detailed/practical enough for me to use.

    What is missing in the Java EE tutorial?

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 11, 2012