    I've covered all the basics (K&R, the standard and about 18 months of
    experience with C) and I'd like to read something more "advanced" on the
    subject of C programming. Which books do you recomend? Thank you.
    buda, Aug 11, 2004

  2. buda

    CBFalconer Guest

    buda wrote:

    > I've covered all the basics (K&R, the standard and about 18 months of
    > experience with C) and I'd like to read something more "advanced" on the
    > subject of C programming. Which books do you recomend? Thank you.

    Kernighan and Pike "The Practice of Programming".
    This newsgroup.

    --
    "Churchill and Bush can both be considered wartime leaders, just
    as Secretariat and Mr Ed were both horses." - James Rhodes.
    CBFalconer, Aug 11, 2004

  3. buda

    buda Guest

    "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    > buda wrote:
    > >
    > > I've covered all the basics (K&R, the standard and about 18 months of
    > > experience with C) and I'd like to read something more "advanced" on the
    > > subject of C programming. Which books do you recomend? Thank you.

    > Kernighan and Pike "The Practice of Programming".

    Read that one too :)
    Anything else?
    buda, Aug 11, 2004
  4. buda wrote:

    > "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    >> buda wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I've covered all the basics (K&R, the standard and about 18 months of
    >> > experience with C) and I'd like to read something more "advanced" on
    >> > the subject of C programming. Which books do you recomend? Thank you.

    >> Kernighan and Pike "The Practice of Programming".
    >>

    > Read that one too :)
    > Anything else?

    "Expert C Programming" by Peter van der Linden
    Daniele Milan, Aug 11, 2004
  5. buda

    Richard Bos Guest

    "buda" <> wrote:

    > "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    > > buda wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I've covered all the basics (K&R, the standard and about 18 months of
    > > > experience with C) and I'd like to read something more "advanced" on the
    > > > subject of C programming. Which books do you recomend? Thank you.

    > > Kernighan and Pike "The Practice of Programming".

    > Read that one too :)
    > Anything else?

    "C Unleashed", by Heathfield, Kirby et al.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Aug 11, 2004
  6. buda

    CBFalconer Guest

    buda wrote:
    > "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    >> buda wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've covered all the basics (K&R, the standard and about 18
    >>> months of experience with C) and I'd like to read something
    >>> more "advanced" on the subject of C programming. Which books
    >>> do you recomend? Thank you.

    >> Kernighan and Pike "The Practice of Programming".
    >>

    > Read that one too :)
    > Anything else?

    Sedgewick "Algorithms in C"

    Some of the C is broken or has minor faults, but the subject is
    algorithms.

    CBFalconer, Aug 11, 2004
  7. buda

    cpg Guest

    C: A Reference Manual by Harbison and Steele...it is a reference manual
    but the only book on C I find myself using.
    cpg, Aug 11, 2004
  8. buda

    Brian Gough Guest

    "buda" <> writes:

    > I've covered all the basics (K&R, the standard and about 18 months of
    > experience with C) and I'd like to read something more "advanced" on the
    > subject of C programming. Which books do you recomend? Thank you.

    The GNU C Library Reference Manual (2 volumes). It contains a lot of
    useful examples for the standard library functions.

    --
    Brian Gough

    Network Theory Ltd,
    Publishing "An Introduction to GCC" --- http://www.network-theory.co.uk/
    Brian Gough, Aug 12, 2004
  9. buda

    Mabden Guest

    "Richard Bos" <> wrote in message
    > "buda" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message

    of

    the

    A new take on the matter:
    How about trying to code something you've never done before. Make a game,
    write a phone book program,
    create an image viewer or icon program...
    Then do some other coding for 6 months and come back to your old code.
    Re-reading old (forgotten) code will teach you more about what YOU need than
    any book.

    Flaws:
    Bad code
    No/Bad comments ("What was I thinking?!!)
    Hold-over code from your last language (The old axiom: "You can write
    FORTRAN in any language.")
    Bugs you never saw before.

    --
    Mabden
    Mabden, Aug 12, 2004
  10. buda

    CBFalconer Guest

    Brian Gough wrote:
    > "buda" <> writes:
    >
    > > I've covered all the basics (K&R, the standard and about 18 months of
    > > experience with C) and I'd like to read something more "advanced" on the
    > > subject of C programming. Which books do you recomend? Thank you.

    > The GNU C Library Reference Manual (2 volumes). It contains a lot of
    > useful examples for the standard library functions.

    If you have suitable things installed, "info libc" may suffice.

    --
    Chuck F () ()
    CBFalconer, Aug 12, 2004