Books

yuvalste

I'm looking for recommendation on advanced books for Java.
I'm programming in the language for over a year now, so I don't need
basic tutorials, but advanced topics in Java (not GUI).

Thanks

puzzlecracker

I'm looking for recommendation on advanced books for Java.
I'm programming in the language for over a year now, so I don't need
basic tutorials, but advanced topics in Java (not GUI).

Thanks

Try" Eclipse in Action" by David Gallardo,

crash.test.dummy

which particular 'aspect' of Java?
JSP / Servlets: Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages by Marty Hall, Larry
Brown
Hibernate: Hibernate in Action by Gavin King, Christian Bauer
Spring Framework: Pro Spring by Rob Harrop, Jan Machacek
J2EE/EJB: Expert One-on-One J2EE Design and Development by Rod Johnson

stepan.kozak

[bold] Java™ Extreme Programming Cookbook [/bold] (By Eric M. Burke,
Brian M. Coyner)
Publisher : O'Reilly
Pub Date : March 2003
ISBN : 0-596-00387-0
Pages : 288

Try it! There are many really interesting topics, you may find very
useful in your future programmer career ;-)

tom fredriksen

I'm looking for recommendation on advanced books for Java.
I'm programming in the language for over a year now, so I don't need
basic tutorials, but advanced topics in Java (not GUI).

Could you be a bit more specific about the topic, there are many
excellent books out there but to list them all would be quite tedious.
Some suggestions about topics: java technology books, enterprise java,
architecture, patterns, server programming, web, programming techniques etc.

Here are some good examples for pure advanced programming/design.

- Head First Design Patterns. Freeman and Freeman
- Better, Faster, Lighter Java. Justin Gehtland, Bruce A. Tate
- Effective Java™: Programming Language Guide. Joshua Bloch
- Bitter Java. Bruce Tate
- Java design : building better apps and applets. Peter Coad and
Mark Mayfield
- Refactoring. Maritin Fowler
- Anti Patterns. William H. Brown. Raphael C. Malveau. et.al

And some other/enterprise java:

- Concurrent programming in java. Doug Lea
- POJOs in Action: Lightweight Frameworks for Enterprise Applications.
Chris Richardson
- Server-based Java Programming. Ted Neward
- Effective Enterprise Java. Ted Neward

/tom

Sachin

Hi Yuval,

Presumably you want to move from Programmer to Developer mode. My
recommedation would be start checking out books on Design Patterns.
Following probably is the best book on Design Patterns.

* Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software - by
Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides

* Head First Design Patterns by Elisabeth Freeman, Eric Freeman, Bert
Bates and Kathy Sierra

Also you may want to pursue other elements of becoming a true Java
Developer ... that is understanding your tools ... so check out books
on Eclipse, Poseidon, Ant, Clearcase etc ...

Hope this helps!

-Sachin

http://www.SachinOnline.com