Boors ahoy

Allin Cottrell

I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

Jack Klein

I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

These guys are amateurs. You should have been here .75 decade or so
ago in the days of Scott Nudds.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Morris Dovey

Allin said:
I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and... what
has happened? It seems to be have been virtually taken over
by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering sidekick
Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into a bar,
kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the floor,
and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make something of
it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

Welcome back, Allin. <g> The noisy one is experiencing culture
shock at the discovery that there's a whole crowd who've sneaked
up the learning curve ahead of him and he seems a bit miffed and
defensive at having been somehow left behind; and the sullen one
seems put out at the discovery that he has more to learn than he
expected.

There's hope for Noisy. He seems bright enough to do well if
he'll stay the course; but I'm not too optimistic about Grumpy -
he's been lashing out at anyone within reach. I'm not sure
there's a clapper in his bell - he rings it with his fist.

It's nothing we haven't seen before and won't see again. Think of
it as an opportunity to take a break from perpetual September to
enjoy a two-ring circus :)

Richard Heathfield

Jack said:
These guys are amateurs. You should have been here .75 decade or so
ago in the days of Scott Nudds.

A random Google sample shows him to be a thoughtless, boorish troll, who
attempts to elevate repetition into a virtue, and who clearly doesn't
understand C. Sorry, but I don't share your apparent "admiration" for this
character.

Allin Cottrell

Richard said:
A random Google sample shows him to be a thoughtless, boorish troll, who
attempts to elevate repetition into a virtue, and who clearly doesn't
understand C. Sorry, but I don't share your apparent "admiration" for this
character.

Richard, I'm afraid your bouts with Roose have damaged (temporarily,
I trust) your irony detector. I take it that what you said is just
what Jack meant, and no admiration was implied; far from it.

Richard Heathfield

Allin said:
Richard, I'm afraid your bouts with Roose have damaged (temporarily,
I trust) your irony detector.

Or perhaps they've damaged /your/ quote-mark detector. :)
I take it that what you said is just
what Jack meant, and no admiration was implied; far from it.

Oh, I know Jack doesn't admire trolls any more than the rest of us. It's
just that he seemed to think that SN was a particularly effective troll. I
was merely pointing out that, to me at least, he just seemed pretty
run-of-the-mill.

Mind you, I wasn't around then. Perhaps the random sample I took of his
archived posts wasn't sufficiently representative.

E. Robert Tisdale

Allin said:
I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

This is an obvious troll. Please ignore it.

Jack Klein

Or perhaps they've damaged /your/ quote-mark detector. :)

Oh, I know Jack doesn't admire trolls any more than the rest of us. It's
just that he seemed to think that SN was a particularly effective troll. I
was merely pointing out that, to me at least, he just seemed pretty
run-of-the-mill.

Mind you, I wasn't around then. Perhaps the random sample I took of his
archived posts wasn't sufficiently representative.

The effectiveness of a troll has nothing to do with:

- the quality of his argument

- his thoughtfulness or lack thereof

- his boorishness

- the originality of his posts

The effectiveness of a troll is measured by one and only factor, the
amount of traffic that he generates.

By that measure the Nuddster exceeded any troll I had seen in
comp.lang.c before, and certainly any since. Bar none.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Richard Heathfield

E. Robert Tisdale said:
This is an obvious troll. Please ignore it.

Well, you can't mean Allin, since he is clearly /not/ trolling, so I suppose
you're being self-referential again.

Noah Roberts

Allin said:
I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame3.html

Noah Roberts

Allin said:
I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).
Actually, I think this one better says it about Roose:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame75.html

Haven't really been paying attention enough to have noticed "Connor".

Roose

Thanks for that link, pretty funny...

Here are some other ones I've seen in these threads:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame48.html

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame21.html several of these guys here

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame69.html

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame59.html

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame41.html definitely some good googling
going on

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame63.html Richard, not in general, just
in a couple exchanges

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame2.html some guy I killfiled, but
caught a glimpse in google groups, posted lots of identical messages telling
me not to top-post

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame49.html

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame12.html

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame18.html

CBFalconer

*** Rude top-posting fixed ***
Thanks for that link, pretty funny...

Here are some other ones I've seen in these threads:
.... snip ...
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame2.html some guy I killfiled, but
caught a glimpse in google groups, posted lots of identical messages telling
me not to top-post
.... snip ...

Please do not toppost. Please do snip extraneous matter, such as
sigs.

nobody

[top-posted off-topic stuff snipped]
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame2.html some guy I killfiled, but
caught a glimpse in google groups, posted lots of identical messages telling
me not to top-post
Please don't top-post.
BTW, as it was already explained to you, there is difference between
*telling* and *asking*. Maybe you should consider stopping giving
"technical" "advices", at least until you grasp concepts of simple
terminology. But IMHO even better would be to wait until you acquire
relevant technical knowledge.

Peter Shaggy Haywood

Groovy hepcat Allin Cottrell was jivin' on Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:53:56
-0500 in comp.lang.c.
Boors ahoy's a cool scene! Dig it!
I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

Interesting way of visualising the idiot. But I see him as a spoiled
three year old child who wants attention.
And I think Mr. Connor is just a babe in the woods who can't
recognise a wild boor when he sees one, and has mistaken the beastie
for his mother. It's not his fault; it's just that he's new and
doesn't know what's what yet. But he's teething, and biting anyone who
is attacking his mother figure. (He'll probably threaten to killfile
me. My sig is more than 4 lines long.)
Let us ignore the former, except to correct his misleading and very
unhelpful "help" so that newbies know better than to believe the crap
he posts. And let us educate the latter so that he may be better
equipped to recognise idiots like Roos in future and ignore them too.

http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/