    Allin Cottrell
    Department of Economics
    Wake Forest University, NC
    Allin Cottrell, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Allin Cottrell

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:53:56 -0500, Allin Cottrell <>
    wrote in comp.lang.c:

    > I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
    > what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
    > taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
    > sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
    > a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
    > floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
    > something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

    These guys are amateurs. You should have been here .75 decade or so
    ago in the days of Scott Nudds.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Allin Cottrell

    Morris Dovey Guest

    Allin Cottrell wrote:

    > I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and... what
    > has happened? It seems to be have been virtually taken over
    > by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering sidekick
    > Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into a bar,
    > kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the floor,
    > and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make something of
    > it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

    Welcome back, Allin. <g> The noisy one is experiencing culture
    shock at the discovery that there's a whole crowd who've sneaked
    up the learning curve ahead of him and he seems a bit miffed and
    defensive at having been somehow left behind; and the sullen one
    seems put out at the discovery that he has more to learn than he
    expected.

    There's hope for Noisy. He seems bright enough to do well if
    he'll stay the course; but I'm not too optimistic about Grumpy -
    he's been lashing out at anyone within reach. I'm not sure
    there's a clapper in his bell - he rings it with his fist.

    It's nothing we haven't seen before and won't see again. Think of
    it as an opportunity to take a break from perpetual September to
    enjoy a two-ring circus :)
    --
    Morris Dovey
    West Des Moines, Iowa USA
    Morris Dovey, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Jack Klein wrote:

    > These guys are amateurs. You should have been here .75 decade or so
    > ago in the days of Scott Nudds.

    A random Google sample shows him to be a thoughtless, boorish troll, who
    attempts to elevate repetition into a virtue, and who clearly doesn't
    understand C. Sorry, but I don't share your apparent "admiration" for this
    character.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :
    Richard Heathfield, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Jack Klein wrote:
    >
    >>These guys are amateurs. You should have been here .75 decade or so
    >>ago in the days of Scott Nudds.

    > A random Google sample shows him to be a thoughtless, boorish troll, who
    > attempts to elevate repetition into a virtue, and who clearly doesn't
    > understand C. Sorry, but I don't share your apparent "admiration" for this
    > character.

    Richard, I'm afraid your bouts with Roose have damaged (temporarily,
    I trust) your irony detector. I take it that what you said is just
    what Jack meant, and no admiration was implied; far from it.

    --
    Allin Cottrell
    Department of Economics
    Allin Cottrell, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Allin Cottrell wrote:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >> Jack Klein wrote:
    >>
    >>>These guys are amateurs. You should have been here .75 decade or so
    >>>ago in the days of Scott Nudds.

    >> A random Google sample shows him to be a thoughtless, boorish troll, who
    >> attempts to elevate repetition into a virtue, and who clearly doesn't
    >> understand C. Sorry, but I don't share your apparent "admiration" for
    >> this character.

    > Richard, I'm afraid your bouts with Roose have damaged (temporarily,
    > I trust) your irony detector.

    Or perhaps they've damaged /your/ quote-mark detector. :)

    > I take it that what you said is just
    > what Jack meant, and no admiration was implied; far from it.

    Oh, I know Jack doesn't admire trolls any more than the rest of us. It's
    just that he seemed to think that SN was a particularly effective troll. I
    was merely pointing out that, to me at least, he just seemed pretty
    run-of-the-mill.

    Mind you, I wasn't around then. Perhaps the random sample I took of his
    archived posts wasn't sufficiently representative.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :
    Richard Heathfield, Nov 5, 2003
  7. Troll Alert: Boors ahoy

    Allin Cottrell wrote:

    > I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
    > what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
    > taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
    > sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
    > a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
    > floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
    > something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

    This is an obvious troll. Please ignore it.
    E. Robert Tisdale, Nov 5, 2003
  8. Allin Cottrell

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:47:46 +0000 (UTC), Richard Heathfield
    <> wrote in comp.lang.c:

    > Allin Cottrell wrote:
    >
    > > Richard Heathfield wrote:

    > >> A random Google sample shows him to be a thoughtless, boorish troll, who
    > >> attempts to elevate repetition into a virtue, and who clearly doesn't
    > >> understand C. Sorry, but I don't share your apparent "admiration" for
    > >> this character.

    > > Richard, I'm afraid your bouts with Roose have damaged (temporarily,
    > > I trust) your irony detector.

    > Or perhaps they've damaged /your/ quote-mark detector. :)
    >
    > > I take it that what you said is just
    > > what Jack meant, and no admiration was implied; far from it.

    > Oh, I know Jack doesn't admire trolls any more than the rest of us. It's
    > just that he seemed to think that SN was a particularly effective troll. I
    > was merely pointing out that, to me at least, he just seemed pretty
    > run-of-the-mill.
    >
    > Mind you, I wasn't around then. Perhaps the random sample I took of his
    > archived posts wasn't sufficiently representative.

    The effectiveness of a troll has nothing to do with:

    - the quality of his argument

    - his thoughtfulness or lack thereof

    - his boorishness

    - the originality of his posts

    The effectiveness of a troll is measured by one and only factor, the
    amount of traffic that he generates.

    By that measure the Nuddster exceeded any troll I had seen in
    comp.lang.c before, and certainly any since. Bar none.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, Nov 6, 2003
  9. Re: Troll Alert: Boors ahoy

    E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

    > Allin Cottrell wrote:
    >
    >> I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
    >> what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
    >> taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
    >> sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
    >> a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
    >> floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
    >> something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

    > This is an obvious troll. Please ignore it.

    Well, you can't mean Allin, since he is clearly /not/ trolling, so I suppose
    you're being self-referential again.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :
    Richard Heathfield, Nov 6, 2003
  10. Allin Cottrell

    Noah Roberts Guest

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame3.html

    --
    Noah Roberts
    - "If you are not outraged, you are not paying attention."
    Noah Roberts, Nov 6, 2003
  11. Allin Cottrell

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Allin Cottrell wrote:
    > I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
    > what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
    > taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
    > sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
    > a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
    > floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
    > something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

    Actually, I think this one better says it about Roose:

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame75.html

    Haven't really been paying attention enough to have noticed "Connor".

    Noah Roberts, Nov 6, 2003
  12. Allin Cottrell

    Roose Guest

    Thanks for that link, pretty funny...

    Here are some other ones I've seen in these threads:

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame48.html

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame21.html several of these guys here

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame69.html

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame59.html

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame41.html definitely some good googling
    going on

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame63.html Richard, not in general, just
    in a couple exchanges

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame2.html some guy I killfiled, but
    caught a glimpse in google groups, posted lots of identical messages telling
    me not to top-post

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame49.html

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame12.html

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame18.html

    Roose, Nov 6, 2003
  13. Allin Cottrell

    CBFalconer Guest

    *** Rude top-posting fixed ***

    Roose wrote:
    > "Noah Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > > Allin Cottrell wrote:

    > > > I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
    > > > what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
    > > > taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
    > > > sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
    > > > a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
    > > > floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
    > > > something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).
    > > >

    > > http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame3.html

    > Thanks for that link, pretty funny...
    >
    > Here are some other ones I've seen in these threads:

    .... snip ...
    > http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame2.html some guy I killfiled, but
    > caught a glimpse in google groups, posted lots of identical messages telling
    > me not to top-post

    .... snip ...

    Please do not toppost. Please do snip extraneous matter, such as
    sigs.

    --
    Chuck F () ()
    CBFalconer, Nov 6, 2003
  14. On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:42:31 -0800, in comp.lang.c , Noah Roberts
    <> wrote:

    >Actually, I think this one better says it about Roose:
    >
    >http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame75.html

    Hmm, I was reckoning this one
    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame11.html

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Nov 7, 2003
  15. Allin Cottrell

    Randy Howard Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:42:31 -0800, in comp.lang.c , Noah Roberts
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >Actually, I think this one better says it about Roose:
    > >
    > >http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame75.html

    > Hmm, I was reckoning this one
    > http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame11.html

    I dunno, given his penchant for being incorrect, this
    seems pretty close...

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame47.html

    Of course, the obvious perfect match is
    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame68.html

    --
    Randy Howard _o
    2reply remove FOOBAR \<,
    Randy Howard, Nov 7, 2003
  16. Allin Cottrell

    nobody Guest

    "Roose" <> wrote in message

    [top-posted off-topic stuff snipped]

    > http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame2.html some guy I killfiled, but
    > caught a glimpse in google groups, posted lots of identical messages

    telling
    > me not to top-post

    Please don't top-post.
    BTW, as it was already explained to you, there is difference between
    *telling* and *asking*. Maybe you should consider stopping giving
    "technical" "advices", at least until you grasp concepts of simple
    terminology. But IMHO even better would be to wait until you acquire
    relevant technical knowledge.
    nobody, Nov 8, 2003
  17. Groovy hepcat Allin Cottrell was jivin' on Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:53:56
    -0500 in comp.lang.c.
    Boors ahoy's a cool scene! Dig it!

    >I come back to clc after a couple of days' absence and...
    >what has happened? It seems to be have been virtually
    >taken over by an abusive boor named Roose and his simpering
    >sidekick Connor. I have an image of a bully swaggering into
    >a bar, kicking over a few tables, scattering dominoes on the
    >floor, and, when someone demurs, snarling "Want to make
    >something of it?" (while his sidekick grins admiringly).

    Interesting way of visualising the idiot. But I see him as a spoiled
    three year old child who wants attention.
    And I think Mr. Connor is just a babe in the woods who can't
    recognise a wild boor when he sees one, and has mistaken the beastie
    for his mother. It's not his fault; it's just that he's new and
    doesn't know what's what yet. But he's teething, and biting anyone who
    is attacking his mother figure. (He'll probably threaten to killfile
    me. My sig is more than 4 lines long.)
    Let us ignore the former, except to correct his misleading and very
    unhelpful "help" so that newbies know better than to believe the crap
    he posts. And let us educate the latter so that he may be better
    equipped to recognise idiots like Roos in future and ignore them too.

    http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/
    Peter Shaggy Haywood, Nov 9, 2003