Boost Python and MS Visual Studio 7 - hit compiler limit

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stephen Horne, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. I started making up a Python extension module to wrap a C++ library of
    mine using Boost Python. Trouble is, the library has a number of
    classes each of which has a lot of methods. I seem to have hit an
    internal limit in the Visual C++ 7 compiler.

    The output I get is...

    """
    ....found 2031 targets...
    ....updating 4 targets...
    vc-C++
    ...\..\..\libs\python\my_project\bin\hello.pyd\vc7\debug\runtime-link-dyna
    mic\test.obj
    test.cpp
    E:\boost-1.30.2\boost\detail\ob_compressed_pair.hpp(368) : fatal error
    C1204: co
    mpiler limit : internal structure overflow
    """

    I figure I have three obvious options...

    1. Switch to using Pythons C API directly.
    2. Change the way I wrap the library to reduce the number of
    methods (most likely with extra parameters).
    3. Use a different compiler.

    Can anyone offer any suggestions beyond that? - options to increase
    the VC++ internal structure sizes, for instance?

    Stephen Horne, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Sorry - the correct answer is RTFM, but I somehow missed the bit in
    the Boost Python FAQ first time through. It's working fine now.

    Stephen Horne, Sep 13, 2003

  3. Stephen Horne <$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$@$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.co.uk> writes:

    > I started making up a Python extension module to wrap a C++ library of
    > mine using Boost Python. Trouble is, the library has a number of
    > classes each of which has a lot of methods. I seem to have hit an
    > internal limit in the Visual C++ 7 compiler.
    >
    > The output I get is...
    >
    > """
    > ...found 2031 targets...
    > ...updating 4 targets...
    > vc-C++
    > ..\..\..\libs\python\my_project\bin\hello.pyd\vc7\debug\runtime-link-dyna
    > mic\test.obj
    > test.cpp
    > E:\boost-1.30.2\boost\detail\ob_compressed_pair.hpp(368) : fatal error
    > C1204: co
    > mpiler limit : internal structure overflow
    > """
    >

    > I figure I have three obvious options...
    >
    > 1. Switch to using Pythons C API directly.
    > 2. Change the way I wrap the library to reduce the number of
    > methods (most likely with extra parameters).
    > 3. Use a different compiler.
    >

    > Can anyone offer any suggestions beyond that? - options to increase
    > the VC++ internal structure sizes, for instance?

    Stephen, I suggest you post your Boost.Python questions to the
    C++-sig: http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm#cplussig

    The Boost.Python FAQ addresses your question:
    http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/v2/faq.html#c1204

    HTH,
    --
    Dave Abrahams