BoostCon 2009 Early Registration Extended to April 26th

Discussion in 'C++' started by Dave Abrahams, Apr 9, 2009.

  1. In recognition of the economic climate, and in order to make possible
    the maximum participation this year, we've extended the early
    registration deadline for BoostCon until April 26th, so BoostCon is
    still only $599. BoostCon has always been a great place to network,
    find out what is happening in the C++ community, and learn about the
    coolest C++ libraries being developed within and outside of Boost ---
    and this year will be better than ever. The official schedule is now
    live at http://www.boostcon.com/program. A few highlights of the
    "mouth-watering content" (in the words of one enrollee) are:

    * A keynote address from Andrei Alexandrescu called "Iterators Must
    Go."

    * Troy Straszheim's presentations on how high-energy physicists are
    using Boost to process massive datasets as they go "Icefishing for
    Neutrinos" and on Kamasu, his library for offloading computation to
    your machine's GPU.

    * Two hands-on sessions where we'll start recoding parts of Boost for
    C++0x, applying rvalue references, variadic templates, decltype, and
    advanced SFINAE capabilities using the latest GCC.

    * "Practical C++ Test-Driven Development with Boost.Test and Bmock,"
    by
    Asher Sterkin

    * A session on compiler construction using Boost.Spirit v2, from
    Hartmut
    Kaiser and Joel de Guzman

    The complete list of sessions covers a wide range of other Boost and
    C++-related topics. Please have a look:
    http://www.boostcon.com/program/sessions.

    The quality of BoostCon has always depended on its diverse and
    interesting participants, so bring your ideas, questions, and
    experience, and sign up now!

    http://www.boostcon.com/registration

    See you in Aspen,

    --
    Dave Abrahams
    BoostPro Computing

    [ your news-reader. If that fails, use mailto:]
    [ FAQ: http://www.comeaucomputing.com/csc/faq.html ]
    Dave Abrahams, Apr 9, 2009

  2. Dave Abrahams

    Guest

    On Apr 9, 12:41 pm, Dave Abrahams <> wrote:
    > In recognition of the economic climate, and in order to make possible
    > the maximum participation this year, we've extended the early
    > registration deadline for BoostCon until April 26th, so BoostCon is
    > still only $599. BoostCon has always been a great place to network,
    > find out what is happening in the C++ community, and learn about the
    > coolest C++ libraries being developed within and outside of Boost ---
    > and this year will be better than ever. The official schedule is now
    > live athttp://www.boostcon.com/program. A few highlights of the
    > "mouth-watering content" (in the words of one enrollee) are:
    >
    > * A keynote address from Andrei Alexandrescu called "Iterators Must
    > Go."
    >
    > * Troy Straszheim's presentations on how high-energy physicists are
    > using Boost to process massive datasets as they go "Icefishing for
    > Neutrinos" and on Kamasu, his library for offloading computation to
    > your machine's GPU.
    >
    > * Two hands-on sessions where we'll start recoding parts of Boost for
    > C++0x, applying rvalue references, variadic templates, decltype, and
    > advanced SFINAE capabilities using the latest GCC.

    Would you agree that recoding that takes advantage of C++ 1998
    should be higher priority than C++0x? For example, Boost
    Serialization doesn't use hinted inserts with (mulit)set or
    (multi)map. I believe Boost Multi Index does. In the
    performance section here --
    http://webEbenezer.net/comparison.html -- there's a subsection
    on Load/Receive tests that mentions this. I also mentioned
    this subject twice in this thread:
    http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2009/03/45712.php

    If anyone cared or even noticed wasn't clear as there was
    no response to that particular point. For some reason I
    doubt the author or anyone else bothered to improve the
    library in this way and the 1.39 version of the Serialization
    library will have the same weak performance in this area.

    Additionally and more importantly, now the C++ Middleware
    Writer has support for several boost::intrusive containers.
    Neither Boost Intrusive nor Boost Serialization have
    serialization support for any of the intrusive containers.
    The Boost Instrusive containers are superior to the
    standard containers in a number of ways, so this gap is
    big.

    While working to update parts of Boost to be able to
    take advantage of C++ 2010 (or 20110), makes sense to
    me, I think the items I mentioned should be higher
    priority than the C++0x work. It's not as cool or sexy
    though. The first item should be relatively easy to
    address, which makes it all the more surprising that as
    the releases go by it doesn't get addressed. The second
    item, though is a different story. Anyway, even if
    you are only able to address the first item by the
    time BoostCon is over, I'll be impressed. And since
    I'm able to point out two weaknesses like this with
    one library, there may be other problem areas in
    other libraries. This could be incorporated into
    the pricing of the conference: $499 gets you into
    the C++98 "fixer" and $599 gets you into the C++0x
    "fixer." :)

    Brian Wood
    Ebenezer Enterprises
    www.webEbenezer.net

    "Then Samuel took a rock and set it up between
    Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer [Rock of
    Help] and said, 'Until now the L-RD has helped us.'"

    [ your news-reader. If that fails, use mailto:]
    [ FAQ: http://www.comeaucomputing.com/csc/faq.html ]
    , Apr 10, 2009

  3. on Thu Apr 09 2009, woodbrian77-AT-gmail.com wrote:

    > Would you agree that recoding that takes advantage of C++ 1998
    > should be higher priority than C++0x?

    In general, maybe. For BoostCon, no.

    Have you submitted a ticket for that at http://svn.boost.org?

    > I believe Boost Multi Index does. In the
    > performance section here --
    > http://webEbenezer.net/comparison.html -- there's a subsection
    > on Load/Receive tests that mentions this. I also mentioned
    > this subject twice in this thread:
    > http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2009/03/45712.php
    >
    > If anyone cared or even noticed wasn't clear as there was
    > no response to that particular point.

    Different library maintainers take different approaches to responding to
    reports on the Boost list. Specific Trac tickets (especially with
    patches attached, as you seem to be able to provide) are a little harder
    to leave dangling because to make them go away you have to explicitly
    close them, so I suggest you try that approach with one ticket per
    issue.

    > For some reason I doubt the author or anyone else bothered to improve
    > the library in this way and the 1.39 version of the Serialization
    > library will have the same weak performance in this area.
    >
    > Additionally and more importantly, now the C++ Middleware
    > Writer has support for several boost::intrusive containers.
    > Neither Boost Intrusive nor Boost Serialization have
    > serialization support for any of the intrusive containers.
    > The Boost Instrusive containers are superior to the
    > standard containers in a number of ways, so this gap is
    > big.
    >
    > While working to update parts of Boost to be able to
    > take advantage of C++ 2010 (or 20110), makes sense to
    > me, I think the items I mentioned should be higher
    > priority than the C++0x work.

    A Boost bugfixing sprint sounds like a great idea, but that can happen
    in cyberspace (the way Ubuntu does it). I invite you to come to the
    Boost developers' list and kick one off. I would certainly be grateful
    for an excuse to focus on closing Boost Trac tickets. In fact, it
    sounds like a good thing to mull over at BoostCon

    At BoostCon I want to take advantage of the face-to-face time to do
    things that are a bit more educational, less critical-path, and that can
    really benefit from having a bunch of people in the same room. I think
    exploring how C++0x features interact in real C++ libraries is one of
    those.

    > It's not as cool or sexy though.

    That's an issue, too. To make it worthwhile for people to travel across
    the country to BoostCon, you need to put "cool" things on the program
    ;-).

    > The first item should be relatively easy to address, which makes it
    > all the more surprising that as the releases go by it doesn't get
    > addressed.

    Remember that addressing any given issue in a Boost library is basically
    up to one person: whoever is maintaining that library. Maintainers are
    volunteers, and each one arranges his priorities differently. But in
    the case of something posted on the -users mailing list whose thread
    sorta trailed off, I wouldn't be surprised if the issue has fallen off
    the maintainer's radar. I suggest getting it into the tracking system.

    > The second item, though is a different story. Anyway,
    > even if you are only able to address the first item by the time
    > BoostCon is over, I'll be impressed.

    Well, it's not really up to me, and I don't /think/ Robert Ramey is
    planning to come to BoostCon this year.

    > And since I'm able to point out two weaknesses like this with one
    > library, there may be other problem areas in other libraries.

    Definitely: https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/report/1

    Looks like we have 766 open issues right now :-(

    > This could be incorporated into the pricing of the conference: $499
    > gets you into the C++98 "fixer" and $599 gets you into the C++0x
    > "fixer." :)

    Yeah, not very practical. Those sessions are just two 3-hour segments
    out of a whole week of material. We're not making the conference itself
    into one big sprint. Take a look at the program:
    http://www.boostcon.com/program

    Cheers,

    David Abrahams, Apr 12, 2009