border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

mbstevens

mbstevens said:
[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
simile.

No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

Does suing as a metaphor require an imaginary lawyer, or can
you just take it to the small claims court in Oz?

As it so happens, there is just such a court down under here. Its
lists are chocker block covering cases to do with the use of the
apostrophe, similes and metaphors, the confusion between irony
and sarcasm, and so on are piled up behind... I have appeared
before it myself. I got off with a plea of being Alien.

<rofl> Visitor from Kansas, I presume.

Nikita the Spider

mbstevens said:
[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
simile.

No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

Does suing as a metaphor require an imaginary lawyer, or can
you just take it to the small claims court in Oz?

As it so happens, there is just such a court down under here. Its
lists are chocker block covering cases to do with the use of the
apostrophe, similes and metaphors, the confusion between irony
and sarcasm, and so on are piled up behind... I have appeared
before it myself. I got off with a plea of being Alien.

In the USA we would say "chock-a-block" where you have written "chocker
block". Is your version an Oz spelling or are you due to be hauled up in
front of the court for assault of an idiom? =) I'm honestly interested
in the spelling; I'm fascinated by language in general and especially
the different varieties of English we've concocted.

Cheers

dorayme

<[email protected]
t.rr.com>,
Nikita the Spider said:
In the USA we would say "chock-a-block" where you have written "chocker
block". Is your version an Oz spelling or are you due to be hauled up in
front of the court for assault of an idiom? =) I'm honestly interested
in the spelling; I'm fascinated by language in general and especially
the different varieties of English we've concocted.

Here it is often put that a full something (a container, a
cinema, whatever) "is chocker" or "is chockers". Simple as that.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
Here it is often put that a full something (a container, a
cinema, whatever) "is chocker" or "is chockers". Simple as that.

FWIW I would spell it chock-a-block, despite the use of "chockers". :)

Leonard Blaisdell

Here it is often put that a full something (a container, a
cinema, whatever) "is chocker" or "is chockers". Simple as that.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but in Oz a barbecue is a barbie. Dog poop is a barkie. A crayfish
is a yabbie. A sheep is a jumbuck, and apparently Vegemite is a spread.
Chocker seems appropriate for full. I'll file it away for future
reference.

leo

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Leonard Blaisdell
Yeah, but in Oz a barbecue is a barbie.

So? :)
Dog poop is a barkie.

Eh? That's a new one to me. Around here a barkie is a (naturally) curled
up piece of bark which can be smoked. Very cool if you're 13 or so. :)
A crayfish is a yabbie.

So? :)
A sheep is a jumbuck,

Only in one song.
and apparently Vegemite is a spread.

Awful stuff, really. Can't stand it myself, but the wife and kids like
it.

dorayme

and apparently Vegemite is a spread.

Awful stuff, really. Can't stand it myself, but the wife and kids like
it.[/QUOTE]

Too salty, Marmite is not salty enough, while Promite is just
right for one Martian bear at any rate...

Leonard Blaisdell

Mark Parnell said:
Eh? That's a new one to me. Around here a barkie is a (naturally) curled
up piece of bark which can be smoked. Very cool if you're 13 or so. :)

Hmm. I know a couple who visited Oz for a year, twenty five years ago.
One said that when their hostess answered the door on a stop, she said
"I'll get Bob! He's in the backyard frolicking among the barkies". Since
my friends saw dog poop in the yard, it's possible that they
misinterpreted.
Nevertheless! Don't you think dog poop 'ought' to be called barkies?
I've been wrongly using it for nigh on twenty years ;-)

leo

rf

Leonard Blaisdell said:
Nevertheless! Don't you think dog poop 'ought' to be called barkies?
I've been wrongly using it for nigh on twenty years ;-)

Nuggets.

They are called nuggets.

They are just left laying round until they dry out and harden. Then one
simply mows over them with the Victa and Poof, they disappear in a cloud of
dust.

Cheers
Richard.

dorayme

dorayme said:
Awful stuff, really. Can't stand it myself, but the wife and kids like
it.

Too salty, Marmite is not salty enough, while Promite is just
right for one Martian bear at any rate...[/QUOTE]

Look, on reconsideration, I may be wrong about Marmite... one has
to be very careful at alt.html. Everyone seems to check every
thing out. There might be 14 people rushing out to buy Marmite
right now...

But there was a reason I did not like it years ago? Perhaps it
was too salty too? It is slowly coming back to me... my tastes
have changed and Promite is just a bit sweeter. All these
products are god for Australians as they supply the necessary Vit
B for partial recovery from excessive alcohol the night before...

dorayme

"rf said:
Nuggets.

They are called nuggets.

They are just left laying round until they dry out and harden. Then one
simply mows over them with the Victa and Poof, they disappear in a cloud of
dust.

Too right mate!

Mark Parnell

Been lurking.

That's understandable - I mostly lurk these days too. Though it's got
much nicer in here since killfiling GG.
Going down next Sunday for a fortnight. No snow though. Might have to
inspect the pub.

That must be disappointing. ;-)

Have you met dorayme here? She's another Sydney-sider, though originally
from Mars. She uses a Mac.

dorayme, this is Richard - he used to be a regular here, but he's too
busy building a ski hut these days.

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
That's understandable - I mostly lurk these days too. Though it's got
much nicer in here since killfiling GG.

That must be disappointing. ;-)

Have you met dorayme here? She's another Sydney-sider, though originally
from Mars. She uses a Mac.

dorayme, this is Richard - he used to be a regular here, but he's too
busy building a ski hut these days.

Hi Richard... when I hear "Richard" all the mother that is in me
comes out... there was a Richard way back that everyone greatly
disrespected. Folk were warned to take no notice of anything he
said, there were histories and websites about all his failings
and trollings and on and on...

Be careful making that ski hut, it is dangerous work when there
is so little snow about, don't rug up, keep cool...

rf

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, rf <[email protected]>
declared in alt.html:

That must be disappointing. ;-)

Someone's got to do it. Don't want Packer being short of a quid now, do we?
Have you met dorayme here? She's another Sydney-sider, though originally
from Mars. She uses a Mac.

Luigi's girlfriend? Yep, noticed her.

/buys hat/
dorayme, this is Richard - he used to be a regular here, but he's too
busy building a ski hut these days.

/tips hat/ Evening ma'am. Nice Mac :)

Cheers
Richard.