border trouble

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jamslam, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    I'm having a little bit of border trouble...

    I'm desperately trying my best to avoid tables at all costs in my layout
    design for the message board I am creating. Some things just flat out will
    not work well enough in all browsers (especially MSIE... which I have come
    to hate :) )

    Anywho, here's the link to check out:

    http://www.webtrickscentral.com/wtcBB/thread.php?t=23

    If you notice, i put a border-left on the right area of the post section.
    You may say, "Then put a border-right on the left area of the post section",
    but what if the content on the right area becomes longer than that of the
    left?

    Anywho, I've tried quite a few methods, I've even been as desperate as to
    try and dynamically generate a border with javascript, fortunately it didn't
    work, good thing because I would have used it I am so frustrated with this.
    So, there are two logical methods of going about this in my head:

    1. Use a table, which is my absolute last resort. I guess if you stretched
    it, you could find some way to say that the post bit could be considered
    tabular data.

    2. Set a fixed height for the whole entire post section. Then, set the
    height of the right post section to 100%, and use a border-left. Of course
    it would expand and everything, works well. However, there are two reasons
    why I don't want to do this.

    A. I know that isn't very good practice in the first place.
    B. What if someone does not have an avatar, and the right post area
    isn't filled up at all. I am going to have a lot of extra space lying
    around, making it very messy. And I hate messy.

    So what I ask of you, is to help me find a way to solve this problem. It
    would be most greatly appreciated.

    Thank you very much, you guys have always been helpful here :)

    -jamslam
    jamslam, Jan 2, 2004

  2. jamslam

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jan 2, 2004

  3. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post <news:>
    > jamslam said:
    >
    > > http://www.webtrickscentral.com/wtcBB/thread.php?t=23

    > http://validator.w3.org/ http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    If I needed a page validated, I think I can do it myself :)

    I didn't ask for the page to be validated. I am perfectly aware of coding
    issues, and I know what needs to be fixed.

    I ask for help on the border problem, those links serve no use in my
    problem.

    Now would that not render your reply useless, and thusly, SPAM?

    If anyone can help (the keyword here), it would most definitely be
    appreciated.
    jamslam, Jan 2, 2004
  4. jamslam

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jan 2, 2004
  5. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post <news:>

    > >> http://validator.w3.org/ http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    > > If I needed a page validated, I think I can do it myself :)

    > then i think you should. its not fair of you to expect people to go
    > through your goodies fixing your errors before they can work on your
    > problem.

    My "other" problems are irrelevant to the current problem. If they had been
    relevant, I would have fixed them.

    -jamslam
    jamslam, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Leif K-Brooks, Jan 2, 2004
  7. jamslam

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    jamslam said:

    >>> If I needed a page validated, I think I can do it myself :)

    >> then i think you should. its not fair of you to expect people to go
    >> through your goodies fixing your errors before they can work on your
    >> problem.

    > My "other" problems are irrelevant to the current problem. If they had been
    > relevant, I would have fixed them.

    how do you determine that a solution doesn't work because its just not
    suitable or an error in the page is preventing it from working? or if
    the errors were fixed there wouldn't even be a problem?

    --
    brucie
    02/January/2004 06:59:21 pm kilo
    brucie, Jan 2, 2004
  8. "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > how do you determine that a solution doesn't work because its just not
    > suitable or an error in the page is preventing it from working? ...

    What does "its just not suitable" mean?

    Anders
    Anders Skelander, Jan 2, 2004
  9. jamslam

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:_WfJb.2839$>
    Anders Skelander said:

    >> how do you determine that a solution doesn't work because its just not
    >> suitable or an error in the page is preventing it from working? ...

    > What does "its just not suitable" mean?

    only works within a limited number of circumstances, support may be
    lacking for a particular device you want to support, the technique may
    conflict with other elements on the page or it just may not work at all.

    etc etc etc.

    --
    brucie
    03/January/2004 01:16:48 am kilo
    brucie, Jan 2, 2004
  10. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > jamslam wrote:
    > > If I needed a page validated, I think I can do it myself :)

    > http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you

    That's irrelevant. First of all, i'm not a "newbie designer", at least I
    don't like to consider myself that.

    And it does behave as expected, I know how it behaves, and it's doing
    exactly what it should be doing. I never once said that a method I tried
    isn't working as expected. All I need help on is the logic behind it, not
    really the coding itself.

    And, under these circumstances, I think all of you know that validation
    isn't the problem. My coding works perfectly well, there is no unexpected
    actions taking place, everything looks great in mozilla and opera. All I
    need help with is some logic.

    I have been in this newsgroup before, so I have experienced the
    cold-heartedness of a lot of you, so I am not going to last out and start
    crying.

    All I need is a little help on how I should go about doing this. Should I
    inevitable use a table, or what?

    I'm asking your opinions really, I'm sorry if I've offended you, or appear
    to be a newbie, but I assure you, I'm not, and I only mean well :)

    -jamslam
    jamslam, Jan 2, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    says...

    > "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > > in post <news:>
    > > jamslam said:
    > >
    > > > http://www.webtrickscentral.com/wtcBB/thread.php?t=23

    > > http://validator.w3.org/ http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    > >

    > If I needed a page validated, I think I can do it myself :)
    >
    > I didn't ask for the page to be validated. I am perfectly aware of coding
    > issues, and I know what needs to be fixed.

    Then fix the code, and ask again the the border problem is still
    evident. Why should people bother to help you fix a problem that may
    simply be cause by your own laziness?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 2, 2004
  12. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > > > in post <news:>

    > > > http://validator.w3.org/ http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    > > >

    > > If I needed a page validated, I think I can do it myself :)
    > >
    > > I didn't ask for the page to be validated. I am perfectly aware of

    coding
    > > issues, and I know what needs to be fixed.

    > Then fix the code, and ask again the the border problem is still
    > evident. Why should people bother to help you fix a problem that may
    > simply be cause by your own laziness?

    *sigh*

    apparently you did not read my preview reply to Leif K-Brooks.

    You simply don't understand. The borders are working as expected, I'm simply
    asking for a different approach (i feel like a broken record -_-). You and I
    both know, that errors involving the "&" character aren't going to effect
    the way borders work.

    -jamslam
    jamslam, Jan 2, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    says...

    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > >
    > > > "brucie" <> wrote in message

    > > > If I needed a page validated, I think I can do it myself :)
    > > >
    > > > I didn't ask for the page to be validated. I am perfectly aware of

    > coding
    > > > issues, and I know what needs to be fixed.

    > > Then fix the code, and ask again the the border problem is still
    > > evident. Why should people bother to help you fix a problem that may
    > > simply be cause by your own laziness?
    > >

    > *sigh*
    >
    > apparently you did not read my preview reply to Leif K-Brooks.

    What reply? Not all news servers carry all messages. Your own news
    server may not even serve *your* message back to *you*.

    I now see that you replied to Leif three minutes before I replied to
    you. I didn't receive Leif's response to which you replied.
    Considering that my client checks for new messages every 10 minutes it
    is perfectly conceivable that I replied before your message was
    downloaded.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 2, 2004
  14. jamslam

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > says...

    > > coding
    > > >
    > > > Then fix the code, and ask again the the border problem is still
    > > > evident. Why should people bother to help you fix a problem that may
    > > > simply be cause by your own laziness?
    > > >

    > > *sigh*
    > >
    > > apparently you did not read my preview reply to Leif K-Brooks.

    > What reply? Not all news servers carry all messages. Your own news
    > server may not even serve *your* message back to *you*.
    >
    > I now see that you replied to Leif three minutes before I replied to
    > you. I didn't receive Leif's response to which you replied.
    > Considering that my client checks for new messages every 10 minutes it
    > is perfectly conceivable that I replied before your message was
    > downloaded.

    No problem at all :)

    All pages are now validated XHTML 1.0 transitional. I just hadn't gotten
    around to fixing all those stupid errors.

    However, I'm having trouble validating my CSS, although I am very certain
    that it would meet validation standards.

    -jamslam
    jamslam, Jan 2, 2004
  15. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    "jamslam" <> wrote in message

    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > >
    > > > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message

    > > > coding

    may

    > > > *sigh*
    > > >
    > > > apparently you did not read my preview reply to Leif K-Brooks.

    > > What reply? Not all news servers carry all messages. Your own news
    > > server may not even serve *your* message back to *you*.
    > >
    > > I now see that you replied to Leif three minutes before I replied to
    > > you. I didn't receive Leif's response to which you replied.
    > > Considering that my client checks for new messages every 10 minutes it
    > > is perfectly conceivable that I replied before your message was
    > > downloaded.
    > >

    > No problem at all :)
    >
    > All pages are now validated XHTML 1.0 transitional. I just hadn't gotten
    > around to fixing all those stupid errors.
    >
    > However, I'm having trouble validating my CSS, although I am very certain
    > that it would meet validation standards.
    >
    > -jamslam

    Forgot to add some things.

    I just got the CSS validation to work, and by no surprise it did shoot me
    down.

    Due to the way I developed the software, a lot of the CSS values are left
    empty, thusly producing parse errors.

    The reason why I did this, is because I wanted to apply the KISS method (as
    I have learned oh so well from this newsgroup), instead of using so much
    CSS. I guess filling those empty values with inherited ones, is better than
    leaving them blank.

    I still need help with the borders :)

    -jamslam
    jamslam, Jan 2, 2004
  16. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    > Forgot to add some things.
    >
    > I just got the CSS validation to work, and by no surprise it did shoot me
    > down.
    >
    > Due to the way I developed the software, a lot of the CSS values are left
    > empty, thusly producing parse errors.
    >
    > The reason why I did this, is because I wanted to apply the KISS method

    (as
    > I have learned oh so well from this newsgroup), instead of using so much
    > CSS. I guess filling those empty values with inherited ones, is better

    than
    > leaving them blank.
    >
    > I still need help with the borders :)
    >
    > -jamslam

    Sorry for all these double posts, but there is more information that needs
    to be posted.

    I validated all my CSS, however it's still spitting out some very stange
    errors, that I see no way of fixing.

    a.. Line: 0 Context : .cat
    Parse Error - !important;

    a.. Line: 0 Context : font-family
    Parse Error - font-family: inherit;

    a.. Line: 0 Context : font-size
    Parse Error - font-size: inherit;

    a.. Line: 0 Context : color
    Parse Error - color: inherit;

    a.. Line: 0 Context : font-style
    Parse Error - font-style: inherit;

    a.. Line: 0 Context : font-weight
    Parse Error - font-weight: bold;

    a.. Line: 0 Context : font-weight
    Parse error - Unrecognized : }

    Things of that sort, which aren't making much sense to me. However, I did
    use a very crude way to get past all the errors. What I did, is that if a
    CSS value is empty, I simply set it to "inherit"... most likely, this isn't
    acceptable here, but it's the only way without having to redo my whole style
    system, which I in no way intend on doing.

    For all who wanted everything validated, there ya go. Happy?

    Any help is appreciated.

    -jamslam
    jamslam, Jan 2, 2004
  17. jamslam wrote:

    > a.. Line: 0 Context : .cat
    > Parse Error - !important;

    You have an extra semi-colon before your !important.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jan 3, 2004
  18. jamslam

    Wim Guest

    jamslam wrote:
    > http://www.webtrickscentral.com/wtcBB/thread.php?t=23
    >
    > If you notice, i put a border-left on the right area of the post
    > section. You may say, "Then put a border-right on the left area of
    > the post section", but what if the content on the right area becomes
    > longer than that of the left?

    I had to read between the lines to figure out what your problem is and
    why it has nothing to do with validating.

    I would prefer using a border-right on the left area. If the right area
    is longer than the left one, the border would not stretch, but is that
    so bad? Look at it as a separator between the info about the poster and
    the actual posting.
    Wim, Jan 4, 2004
  19. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    "Wim" <> wrote in message
    > jamslam wrote:
    > > http://www.webtrickscentral.com/wtcBB/thread.php?t=23
    > >
    > > If you notice, i put a border-left on the right area of the post
    > > section. You may say, "Then put a border-right on the left area of
    > > the post section", but what if the content on the right area becomes
    > > longer than that of the left?

    > I had to read between the lines to figure out what your problem is and
    > why it has nothing to do with validating.
    >
    > I would prefer using a border-right on the left area. If the right area
    > is longer than the left one, the border would not stretch, but is that
    > so bad? Look at it as a separator between the info about the poster and
    > the actual posting.

    Unfortunately, it looks extremely messy.

    I have a few more ideas... I am going to try basing the postbit layout on
    this:

    http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/
    jamslam, Jan 5, 2004
  20. jamslam

    jamslam Guest

    "jamslam" <> wrote in message

    > "Wim" <> wrote in message
    > > jamslam wrote:
    > > > http://www.webtrickscentral.com/wtcBB/thread.php?t=23
    > > >
    > > > If you notice, i put a border-left on the right area of the post
    > > > section. You may say, "Then put a border-right on the left area of
    > > > the post section", but what if the content on the right area becomes
    > > > longer than that of the left?

    > > I had to read between the lines to figure out what your problem is and
    > > why it has nothing to do with validating.
    > >
    > > I would prefer using a border-right on the left area. If the right area
    > > is longer than the left one, the border would not stretch, but is that
    > > so bad? Look at it as a separator between the info about the poster and
    > > the actual posting.

    > Unfortunately, it looks extremely messy.
    >
    > I have a few more ideas... I am going to try basing the postbit layout on
    > this:
    >
    > http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/

    That idea didn't work at all, but I did figure out a way!

    What I did was, specify a border-left for the right area, and a border-right
    for the left area. Then here's the trick. I put a margin-left: -1px; in the
    right area, so both borders overlap in the exact same spot, thusly giving
    the appearence that there is only one border there. Pretty cool, eh? It
    works in MSIE 6, Mozilla, and Opera... *phew*

    I just want to thank the rest of you for motivating me to validate my pages,
    seriously. :)

    -jamslam
    jamslam, Jan 5, 2004