border trouble

jamslam

I'm having a little bit of border trouble...

I'm desperately trying my best to avoid tables at all costs in my layout
design for the message board I am creating. Some things just flat out will
not work well enough in all browsers (especially MSIE... which I have come
to hate :) )

Anywho, here's the link to check out:

http://www.webtrickscentral.com/wtcBB/thread.php?t=23

If you notice, i put a border-left on the right area of the post section.
You may say, "Then put a border-right on the left area of the post section",
but what if the content on the right area becomes longer than that of the
left?

Anywho, I've tried quite a few methods, I've even been as desperate as to
try and dynamically generate a border with javascript, fortunately it didn't
work, good thing because I would have used it I am so frustrated with this.
So, there are two logical methods of going about this in my head:

1. Use a table, which is my absolute last resort. I guess if you stretched
it, you could find some way to say that the post bit could be considered
tabular data.

2. Set a fixed height for the whole entire post section. Then, set the
height of the right post section to 100%, and use a border-left. Of course
it would expand and everything, works well. However, there are two reasons
why I don't want to do this.

A. I know that isn't very good practice in the first place.
B. What if someone does not have an avatar, and the right post area
isn't filled up at all. I am going to have a lot of extra space lying
around, making it very messy. And I hate messy.

So what I ask of you, is to help me find a way to solve this problem. It
would be most greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much, you guys have always been helpful here :)

-jamslam

jamslam

brucie said:
If I needed a page validated, I think I can do it myself :)

I didn't ask for the page to be validated. I am perfectly aware of coding
issues, and I know what needs to be fixed.

I ask for help on the border problem, those links serve no use in my
problem.

Now would that not render your reply useless, and thusly, SPAM?

If anyone can help (the keyword here), it would most definitely be
appreciated.

brucie

If I needed a page validated, I think I can do it myself :)

then i think you should. its not fair of you to expect people to go
through your goodies fixing your errors before they can work on your
problem.

jamslam

brucie said:
then i think you should. its not fair of you to expect people to go
through your goodies fixing your errors before they can work on your
problem.
My "other" problems are irrelevant to the current problem. If they had been
relevant, I would have fixed them.

-jamslam

brucie

My "other" problems are irrelevant to the current problem. If they had been
relevant, I would have fixed them.

how do you determine that a solution doesn't work because its just not
suitable or an error in the page is preventing it from working? or if
the errors were fixed there wouldn't even be a problem?

Anders Skelander

brucie said:
how do you determine that a solution doesn't work because its just not
suitable or an error in the page is preventing it from working? ...

What does "its just not suitable" mean?

Anders

brucie

What does "its just not suitable" mean?

only works within a limited number of circumstances, support may be
lacking for a particular device you want to support, the technique may
conflict with other elements on the page or it just may not work at all.

etc etc etc.

jamslam

Leif K-Brooks said:

That's irrelevant. First of all, i'm not a "newbie designer", at least I
don't like to consider myself that.

And it does behave as expected, I know how it behaves, and it's doing
exactly what it should be doing. I never once said that a method I tried
isn't working as expected. All I need help on is the logic behind it, not
really the coding itself.

And, under these circumstances, I think all of you know that validation
isn't the problem. My coding works perfectly well, there is no unexpected
actions taking place, everything looks great in mozilla and opera. All I
need help with is some logic.

I have been in this newsgroup before, so I have experienced the
cold-heartedness of a lot of you, so I am not going to last out and start
crying.

All I need is a little help on how I should go about doing this. Should I
inevitable use a table, or what?

I'm asking your opinions really, I'm sorry if I've offended you, or appear
to be a newbie, but I assure you, I'm not, and I only mean well :)

-jamslam

Hywel Jenkins

If I needed a page validated, I think I can do it myself :)

I didn't ask for the page to be validated. I am perfectly aware of coding
issues, and I know what needs to be fixed.

Then fix the code, and ask again the the border problem is still
evident. Why should people bother to help you fix a problem that may
simply be cause by your own laziness?

jamslam

Hywel Jenkins said:
Then fix the code, and ask again the the border problem is still
evident. Why should people bother to help you fix a problem that may
simply be cause by your own laziness?
*sigh*

apparently you did not read my preview reply to Leif K-Brooks.

You simply don't understand. The borders are working as expected, I'm simply
asking for a different approach (i feel like a broken record -_-). You and I
both know, that errors involving the "&" character aren't going to effect
the way borders work.

-jamslam

Hywel Jenkins

*sigh*

apparently you did not read my preview reply to Leif K-Brooks.

What reply? Not all news servers carry all messages. Your own news
server may not even serve *your* message back to *you*.

I now see that you replied to Leif three minutes before I replied to
you. I didn't receive Leif's response to which you replied.
Considering that my client checks for new messages every 10 minutes it
is perfectly conceivable that I replied before your message was
downloaded.

jamslam

Hywel Jenkins said:
What reply? Not all news servers carry all messages. Your own news
server may not even serve *your* message back to *you*.

I now see that you replied to Leif three minutes before I replied to
you. I didn't receive Leif's response to which you replied.
Considering that my client checks for new messages every 10 minutes it
is perfectly conceivable that I replied before your message was
downloaded.
No problem at all :)

All pages are now validated XHTML 1.0 transitional. I just hadn't gotten
around to fixing all those stupid errors.

However, I'm having trouble validating my CSS, although I am very certain
that it would meet validation standards.

-jamslam

jamslam

jamslam said:
No problem at all :)

All pages are now validated XHTML 1.0 transitional. I just hadn't gotten
around to fixing all those stupid errors.

However, I'm having trouble validating my CSS, although I am very certain
that it would meet validation standards.

-jamslam
Forgot to add some things.

I just got the CSS validation to work, and by no surprise it did shoot me
down.

Due to the way I developed the software, a lot of the CSS values are left
empty, thusly producing parse errors.

The reason why I did this, is because I wanted to apply the KISS method (as
I have learned oh so well from this newsgroup), instead of using so much
CSS. I guess filling those empty values with inherited ones, is better than
leaving them blank.

I still need help with the borders :)

-jamslam

jamslam

Forgot to add some things.

I just got the CSS validation to work, and by no surprise it did shoot me
down.

Due to the way I developed the software, a lot of the CSS values are left
empty, thusly producing parse errors.

The reason why I did this, is because I wanted to apply the KISS method (as
I have learned oh so well from this newsgroup), instead of using so much
CSS. I guess filling those empty values with inherited ones, is better than
leaving them blank.

I still need help with the borders :)

-jamslam

Sorry for all these double posts, but there is more information that needs
to be posted.

I validated all my CSS, however it's still spitting out some very stange
errors, that I see no way of fixing.

a.. Line: 0 Context : .cat
Parse Error - !important;

a.. Line: 0 Context : font-family
Parse Error - font-family: inherit;

a.. Line: 0 Context : font-size
Parse Error - font-size: inherit;

a.. Line: 0 Context : color
Parse Error - color: inherit;

a.. Line: 0 Context : font-style
Parse Error - font-style: inherit;

a.. Line: 0 Context : font-weight
Parse Error - font-weight: bold;

a.. Line: 0 Context : font-weight
Parse error - Unrecognized : }

Things of that sort, which aren't making much sense to me. However, I did
use a very crude way to get past all the errors. What I did, is that if a
CSS value is empty, I simply set it to "inherit"... most likely, this isn't
acceptable here, but it's the only way without having to redo my whole style
system, which I in no way intend on doing.

For all who wanted everything validated, there ya go. Happy?

Any help is appreciated.

-jamslam

Wim

jamslam said:
http://www.webtrickscentral.com/wtcBB/thread.php?t=23

If you notice, i put a border-left on the right area of the post
section. You may say, "Then put a border-right on the left area of
the post section", but what if the content on the right area becomes
longer than that of the left?

I had to read between the lines to figure out what your problem is and
why it has nothing to do with validating.

I would prefer using a border-right on the left area. If the right area
is longer than the left one, the border would not stretch, but is that
so bad? Look at it as a separator between the info about the poster and
the actual posting.

jamslam

Wim said:
I had to read between the lines to figure out what your problem is and
why it has nothing to do with validating.

I would prefer using a border-right on the left area. If the right area
is longer than the left one, the border would not stretch, but is that
so bad? Look at it as a separator between the info about the poster and
the actual posting.

Unfortunately, it looks extremely messy.

I have a few more ideas... I am going to try basing the postbit layout on
this:

http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/

jamslam

jamslam said:
Unfortunately, it looks extremely messy.

I have a few more ideas... I am going to try basing the postbit layout on
this:

http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/

That idea didn't work at all, but I did figure out a way!

What I did was, specify a border-left for the right area, and a border-right
for the left area. Then here's the trick. I put a margin-left: -1px; in the
right area, so both borders overlap in the exact same spot, thusly giving
the appearence that there is only one border there. Pretty cool, eh? It
works in MSIE 6, Mozilla, and Opera... *phew*

I just want to thank the rest of you for motivating me to validate my pages,
seriously. :)

-jamslam