    copy of something but i wanna get better in python skills. Don´t you
    know what I should do?

    ---sorry for my english, I ´m from czech rep...
    Necronymouse, Nov 30, 2009

  2. Necronymouse

    MRAB Guest

    Necronymouse wrote:
    > Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not
    > with python but I have a little problem, when i want to write
    > something I realise that somebody had alredy written it! So i don´t
    > want to make a copy of something but i wanna get better in python
    > skills. Don´t you know what I should do?

    Choose a project that you find interesting. It doesn't matter if someone
    has already done something similar because you'll learn more by doing.

    When you have something reasonable, compare it to the one that already
    exists. Your approach might be better, but if it's not then you can
    still see why it isn't and how you could improve.

    This way, when you do something that no-one else has done before, you'll
    have a better understanding of the language and how best to design and
    implement your project.
    MRAB, Nov 30, 2009

  3. On Nov 30, 2:14 pm, Necronymouse <> wrote:
    > Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not with
    > python but I have a little problem, when i want to write something I
    > realise that somebody had alredy written it! So i don´t want to make a
    > copy of something but i wanna get better in python skills. Don´t you
    > know what I should do?

    Generally, lower-level stuff is already written, but the web apps and
    desktop apps that use those lower-level apps need to be written.

    I suggest you pick up web dev or app dev in Python. There are a
    variety of frameworks. Think of an app you'd like to see, find a
    framework, and have fun.
    Jonathan Gardner, Nov 30, 2009
  4. Necronymouse

    Tomasz Rola Guest

    Necronymouse wrote:
    > Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not
    > with python but I have a little problem, when i want to write
    > something I realise that somebody had alredy written it! So i don´t
    > want to make a copy of something but i wanna get better in python
    > skills. Don´t you know what I should do?

    In other words, you would like to be creative? If this is the case, you
    must let your head out of the box. People coding for too long have the
    tendency to have a box (say, a cube) on their heads. I think there is
    plenty of ideas waiting for someone to turn them into code. Look out the
    window. Read a book. Repeat.

    Regards,
    Tomasz Rola

    --
    ** A C programmer asked whether computer had Buddha's nature. **
    ** As the answer, master did "rm -rif" on the programmer's home **
    Tomasz Rola, Nov 30, 2009
  5. On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Necronymouse <> wrote:
    > Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not with
    > python but I have a little problem, when i want to write something I
    > realise that somebody had alredy written it! So i don´t want to make a
    > copy of something but i wanna get better in python skills. Don´t you
    > know what I should do?
    >

    > ---sorry for my english, I ´m from czech rep...

    I'd find a big project and contribute to it. There's a lot more to
    being a developer than writing code, and its hard to learn
    much about that side of things by working on your own projects
    all the time. Plus, it can be very satisfying to make a widely
    used piece of software better.

    Geremy Condra
    geremy condra, Nov 30, 2009
  6. Necronymouse

    Stef Mientki Guest

    Necronymouse wrote:
    > Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not with
    > python but I have a little problem, when i want to write something I
    > realise that somebody had alredy written it! So i don´t want to make a
    > copy of something but i wanna get better in python skills. Don´t you
    > know what I should do?
    >

    > ---sorry for my english, I ´m from czech rep...

    Well I thought that after 2 years you would know every detail of a
    language ;-)

    A few ideas ( or better said the things that I'm still missing, and I
    guess every one can name a few different ones )
    - PyJamas needs a lot of extensions
    - Simultanuous recording of camera and sound (and preferable other
    signals) is completely missing
    - Rich editor or ( embedding of open office)
    - a system-wide mind mapper
    - graphical design package a la LabView

    There's also a Python site, were projects are submitted that needs
    something ( some even pay a little),
    but I can't remember where it is :-(

    cheers,
    Stef
    Stef Mientki, Nov 30, 2009
  7. Necronymouse

    John Bokma Guest

    Stef Mientki <> wrote:

    > There's also a Python site, were projects are submitted that needs
    > something ( some even pay a little),
    > but I can't remember where it is :-(

    OP: A Python program to find it :D

    John
    John Bokma, Dec 1, 2009
  8. Necronymouse

    Stef Mientki Guest

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Stef Mientki <> wrote:
    >

    >> There's also a Python site, were projects are submitted that needs
    >> something ( some even pay a little),
    >> but I can't remember where it is :-(
    >>

    > OP: A Python program to find it :D

    that was the mind mapper I mentioned :)

    Stef

    Stef Mientki, Dec 1, 2009
  9. 2009/11/30 Stef Mientki <>:
    > Necronymouse wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not with
    >> python but I have a little problem, when i want to write something I
    >> realise that somebody had alredy written it! So i don´t want to make a
    >> copy of something but i wanna get better in python skills. Don´t you
    >> know what I should do?
    >>

    >> ---sorry for my english, I ´m from czech rep...
    >>

    > Well I thought that after 2 years you would know every detail of a language
    > ;-)
    >
    > A few ideas ( or better said the things that I'm still missing, and I guess
    > every one can name a  few different ones )
    > - PyJamas needs a lot of extensions
    > - Simultanuous recording of  camera and sound (and preferable other signals)
    > is completely missing
    > - Rich editor or ( embedding of open office)
    > - a system-wide mind mapper
    > - graphical design package a la LabView

    I had have a project in mind for several months, a compiler for
    Modelica language in python, there is actually two main approach,
    openmodelica and jmodelica, both free ( i don't remember the exactly
    licences), openmodelica is written in C++ and jmodelica has a
    front-end for python, but its core is java based. I had started a
    gtkmodelica project, in code google, with c++ and spirit library( i
    didn't find at the moment a good library like spirit in python), but
    developing in c++ is quite slow (but is really nice), and recently I
    found pyparsing, I think is a good tool for the parser, and i create a
    repo in github (is empty right now), i wish i could have the enough
    time right now, but i got a lot of work right now.

    A project like this has a lot of great challenges: parsing,
    differential equation solving, a lot about language semantics, the
    graphical tool could be like labview, simulink, or maplesim ( I love
    flowcanvas library for gtk in c++, but it is quite old right now),
    code generation (to use hardware in the loop), real time plotting,
    etc... it could be a great project.

    I'm using right now some python classes that works as wrapper for
    openmodelica, and i use numpy for optimization purpose, and it works
    great, but a more natural mix with a native python tool would be just
    fantastic.

    http://github.com/jorgeecardona/pymodelica
    http://drobilla.net/software/flowcanvas/
    http://code.google.com/p/gtkmodelica/
    http://www.jmodelica.org/
    http://www.ida.liu.se/~pelab/modelica/OpenModelica.html

    > There's also a Python site, were projects are submitted that needs something
    > ( some even pay a little),
    > but I can't remember where it is :-(
    >
    > cheers,
    > Stef

    Jorge Eduardo Cardona

    jorgeecardona.blogspot.com
    Linux registered user #391186
    Registered machine #291871
    Jorge Cardona, Dec 1, 2009
  10. Necronymouse

    Bram Mertens Guest

    Ben Finney wrote:
    > geremy condra <> writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Necronymouse <> wrote:
    >>> Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not
    >>> with python but I have a little problem, when i want to write
    >>> something I realise that somebody had alredy written it!

    > That's great news: it means you can learn by example, and also learn the
    > more important skills of collaborating with other developers.
    >
    >> I'd find a big project and contribute to it. There's a lot more to
    >> being a developer than writing code, and its hard to learn much about
    >> that side of things by working on your own projects all the time.
    >> Plus, it can be very satisfying to make a widely used piece of
    >> software better.

    > This is good advice.
    >
    > I would also say that it can be very satisfying contributing on a
    > *small* project: there is usually less communication overhead since
    > there are fewer people that need to communicate (the principles explored
    > in “The Mythical Man-Monthâ€). On a small project, too, you can often
    > have a bigger impact which for many people is more satisfying.
    >
    > So, in general: when you realise someone has already written something
    > you want to use, then start using it! You will quickly find that it
    > doesn't quite do everything you want, so that's your opportunity to make
    > improvements and start working with the existing developers.

    How about http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=python ?

    Pick a project you like I'd be surprised if you'd be turned down when
    offering help to any of these.
    Bram Mertens, Dec 1, 2009
  11. On Nov 30, 11:52 pm, Stef Mientki <> wrote:
    > Well I thought that after 2 years you would know every detail of a
    > language ;-)

    Ouch, I must be especially stupid then!

    ;-)

    Floris
    Floris Bruynooghe, Dec 1, 2009
  12. Necronymouse

    Necronymouse Guest

    Thanks for reaction, I will prohably choose some project as you
    said...
    Necronymouse, Dec 1, 2009
  13. Necronymouse

    Stef Mientki Guest

    Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
    > On Nov 30, 11:52 pm, Stef Mientki <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well I thought that after 2 years you would know every detail of a
    >> language ;-)
    >>

    > Ouch, I must be especially stupid then!
    >
    > ;-)

    Sorry if I insulted you Floris!
    btw, I'm too still learning Python after I started 2 years ago.

    cheers,
    Stef

    Stef Mientki, Dec 1, 2009
  14. Necronymouse

    r0g Guest

    Necronymouse wrote:
    > Thanks for reaction, I will prohably choose some project as you
    > said...

    If you want to dip your toe in waters of open source contribution it
    looks like Gitso could use a little help pushing out their 0.6 release
    (which I just happen to quite want but don't have time to get involved
    in right now ;)

    Roger.
    r0g, Dec 3, 2009
  15. Necronymouse

    Anssi Saari Guest

    Necronymouse <> writes:

    > Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not with
    > python but I have a little problem, when i want to write something I
    > realise that somebody had alredy written it! So i don´t want to make a
    > copy of something but i wanna get better in python skills. Don´t you
    > know what I should do?

    If I may propose something, I'm pretty annoyed that it's so hard to
    get contact and calendar data out of my Nokia phone. However, there's
    Python available for Symbian phones and the implementation is supposed
    to have access to that data on the phone... So a calendar and contacts
    sync tool would be a nice thing.
    Anssi Saari, Dec 3, 2009
  16. Anssi Saari wrote:
    > Necronymouse <> writes:
    >
    >> Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not with
    >> python but I have a little problem, when i want to write something I
    >> realise that somebody had alredy written it! So i don´t want to make a
    >> copy of something but i wanna get better in python skills. Don´t you
    >> know what I should do?

    > If I may propose something, I'm pretty annoyed that it's so hard to
    > get contact and calendar data out of my Nokia phone. However, there's
    > Python available for Symbian phones and the implementation is supposed
    > to have access to that data on the phone... So a calendar and contacts
    > sync tool would be a nice thing.

    Also take into account, a lot of open source projects out there would
    not mind help! I host two (public) open source projects, and would love
    to have more development help from people interested in them!

    Find a project which you would find interesting, then ask them if you
    can join. You would not get to do something from scratch, but you would
    be able to help further develop the project, perhaps even extend it in
    some way you want to.
    Ognjen Bezanov, Dec 3, 2009