    I've used 3.1 and 4.52, so why should i go back to command line with 5.5?
    are there any other C++ compilers with an IDE?

    remove *batSPAM* to e-mail me
    Developwebsites, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Developwebsites

    tom_usenet Guest

    On 07 Aug 2003 02:26:23 GMT, atSPAM
    (Developwebsites) wrote:

    >do they have 5.5 with an IDE?
    >I've used 3.1 and 4.52, so why should i go back to command line with 5.5?
    >are there any other C++ compilers with an IDE?

    Borland's 5.5 compiler is used by products like Borland C++ Builder,
    which includes a full IDE.

    See also (on Windows), Microsoft Visual C++.NET 2003 and Metroworks
    Codewarrior.

    Tom
    tom_usenet, Aug 7, 2003

  3. On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:37:57 +0000
    zonemen <> wrote:

    > I just downloaded Borland 5.5 Compiler and in the bin folder when I
    > open bcc32.exe and it just straight away goes off once i click on
    > it. It happens with the others as well, except for fconvert.exe. How
    > do I compile??
    >
    > I have Windows XP

    Find a borland newsgroup but prior to doing that learn how to use the
    command line (bcc32.exe is after all a command line app) and read the
    docs that came with your compiler.
    Matthew Burgess, Aug 7, 2003
  4. "zonemen" <> wrote in message

    > I just downloaded Borland 5.5 Compiler and in the bin folder when I
    > open bcc32.exe and it just straight away goes off once i click on
    > it. It happens with the others as well, except for fconvert.exe. How
    > do I compile??

    Read this:

    "Using the Borland 5.5 Compiler and command-line tools"

    And then read this:

    "Welcome to comp.lang.c++!"
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    --
    Russell Hanneken
    Russell Hanneken, Aug 7, 2003
  5. (Shane Beasley) wrote in message news:<>...

    > > are there any other C++ compilers with an IDE?

    > On Intel x86-based machines and similar, you've basically got Borland
    > C++ Builder and Microsoft Visual C++. DJGPP includes an MS-DOS port of
    > GCC and other GNU tools as well as an IDE called RHIDE. Smaller
    > compilers (so as to be unknown to me, anyway) may come with IDEs as
    > well.

    Oops; Metrowerks CodeWarrior also comes with an IDE. I mistakenly
    thought (after very cursory searching on metrowerks.com) that they had
    dropped the IBM PC platform to concentrate on the Mac, but I guess I
    was wrong.

    And doubly sorry to sometime poster Howard Hinnant for discounting his
    product. :)

    - Shane
    Shane Beasley, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Developwebsites wrote:
    > do they have 5.5 with an IDE?
    > I've used 3.1 and 4.52, so why should i go back to command line with 5.5?
    > are there any other C++ compilers with an IDE?

    Dev-C++, http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html. It uses the Mingw port of
    gcc.

    --
    "Codito ergo sum"
    Roel Schroeven
    Roel Schroeven, Aug 7, 2003
  7. Developwebsites

    Razmig K Guest

    Borland 5.5 compiler, flawed

    zonemen <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I just downloaded Borland 5.5 Compiler and in the bin folder when I
    > open bcc32.exe and it just straight away goes off once i click on
    > it. It happens with the others as well, except for fconvert.exe. How
    > do I compile??
    >
    > I have Windows XP

    Before considering a serious use of Borland's C++ compilers please
    note the following.

    Borland C++ compilers aren't %100 conformant with the ISO C++
    standard.
    For example, the following obvious code won't compile on BCC32 5.5 nor
    BCC32 5.6, though it's %100 compliant with the standard.

    #include<iostream>
    #include<string>

    using namespace std ;

    struct employee {
    string name ;
    string surname ;
    } ;

    int main ()
    {
    employee e = { "Razmig", "K" } ;
    cout << e.name << " " << e.surname << '\n' ;
    }

    Regards,
    //rk
    Razmig K, Aug 8, 2003
  8. Re: Borland 5.5 compiler, flawed

    Razmig K wrote:

    > Before considering a serious use of Borland's C++ compilers please
    > note the following.
    >
    > Borland C++ compilers aren't %100 conformant with the ISO C++
    > standard.
    > For example, the following obvious code won't compile on BCC32 5.5 nor
    > BCC32 5.6, though it's %100 compliant with the standard.
    >
    > #include<iostream>
    > #include<string>
    >
    > using namespace std ;
    >
    > struct employee {
    > string name ;
    > string surname ;
    > } ;
    >
    > int main ()
    > {
    > employee e = { "Razmig", "K" } ;
    > cout << e.name << " " << e.surname << '\n' ;
    > }

    Presently none compiler can claim 100% C++ standard compliance. Every
    one has its own strengths and weaknesses.

    As it concerns Borland C++ those incompatibilities are not numerous and
    most of them I ever fell into actually enforce better programming style
    and it may even apply to the posted example. The struct 'employee'
    containing non-POD members is not trivial. It is unlikely that all
    employees of an organization will be known at compile time and
    constructing dynamically such an object without relevant constructor in
    C++ is ugly. So defining a constructor for 'employee' will help compile
    and ensure better functionality of the entire program.

    Regards,
    Janusz
    Janusz Szpilewski, Aug 8, 2003