Borland 5.5 compiler

Developwebsites

do they have 5.5 with an IDE?
I've used 3.1 and 4.52, so why should i go back to command line with 5.5?
are there any other C++ compilers with an IDE?

tom_usenet

do they have 5.5 with an IDE?
I've used 3.1 and 4.52, so why should i go back to command line with 5.5?
are there any other C++ compilers with an IDE?

Borland's 5.5 compiler is used by products like Borland C++ Builder,
which includes a full IDE.

See also (on Windows), Microsoft Visual C++.NET 2003 and Metroworks
Codewarrior.

Tom

Matthew Burgess

I just downloaded Borland 5.5 Compiler and in the bin folder when I
open bcc32.exe and it just straight away goes off once i click on
it. It happens with the others as well, except for fconvert.exe. How
do I compile??

I have Windows XP

Find a borland newsgroup but prior to doing that learn how to use the
command line (bcc32.exe is after all a command line app) and read the
docs that came with your compiler.

Russell Hanneken

Shane Beasley

On Intel x86-based machines and similar, you've basically got Borland
C++ Builder and Microsoft Visual C++. DJGPP includes an MS-DOS port of
GCC and other GNU tools as well as an IDE called RHIDE. Smaller
compilers (so as to be unknown to me, anyway) may come with IDEs as
well.

Oops; Metrowerks CodeWarrior also comes with an IDE. I mistakenly
thought (after very cursory searching on metrowerks.com) that they had
dropped the IBM PC platform to concentrate on the Mac, but I guess I
was wrong.

And doubly sorry to sometime poster Howard Hinnant for discounting his
product. :)

- Shane

Razmig K

zonemen said:
I just downloaded Borland 5.5 Compiler and in the bin folder when I
open bcc32.exe and it just straight away goes off once i click on
it. It happens with the others as well, except for fconvert.exe. How
do I compile??

I have Windows XP

Before considering a serious use of Borland's C++ compilers please
note the following.

Borland C++ compilers aren't %100 conformant with the ISO C++
standard.
For example, the following obvious code won't compile on BCC32 5.5 nor
BCC32 5.6, though it's %100 compliant with the standard.

#include<iostream>
#include<string>

using namespace std ;

struct employee {
string name ;
string surname ;
} ;

int main ()
{
employee e = { "Razmig", "K" } ;
cout << e.name << " " << e.surname << '\n' ;
}

Regards,
//rk

}

Presently none compiler can claim 100% C++ standard compliance. Every
one has its own strengths and weaknesses.

As it concerns Borland C++ those incompatibilities are not numerous and
most of them I ever fell into actually enforce better programming style
and it may even apply to the posted example. The struct 'employee'
containing non-POD members is not trivial. It is unlikely that all
employees of an organization will be known at compile time and
constructing dynamically such an object without relevant constructor in
C++ is ugly. So defining a constructor for 'employee' will help compile
and ensure better functionality of the entire program.

Regards,
Janusz