borland c++ 5.01?

Christo

hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told to
obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)

this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.

it is simply called borland c++ 5.01

can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy or a copy that
needs registering or someething, i can only find c++ builder which is
totally different from the program i have seen in the lectures at uni

anyone plz help.

cheers

christo

Victor Bazarov

Christo said:
hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told to
obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)

this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.

it is simply called borland c++ 5.01

can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy or a copy that
needs registering or someething, i can only find c++ builder which is
totally different from the program i have seen in the lectures at uni

anyone plz help.

Contact Borland. I bet they can help.

Mike Wahler

Christo said:
hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told to
obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)

this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.

it is simply called borland c++ 5.01

can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy

Where else? www.borland.com

(go to 'site map' and look around, it's not that hard to find).

And I seem to recall that the latest 'freebie' version is 5.5
(but perhaps 5.01 is still available there).

-Mike

Christo

Mike Wahler said:
Where else? www.borland.com

(go to 'site map' and look around, it's not that hard to find).

And I seem to recall that the latest 'freebie' version is 5.5
(but perhaps 5.01 is still available there).

-Mike

isnt that just the compiler?

David Lindauer

Christo said:
hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told to
obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)

this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.

it is simply called borland c++ 5.01

can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy or a copy that
needs registering or someething, i can only find c++ builder which is
totally different from the program i have seen in the lectures at uni

somewhere on borland's site is C++5.5, which is a free command line toolset
provided by borland. It is actually more compliant with current C++ standards
that 5.01, and also is more compliant as a win32 build platform. I'm not sure
how you would get 5.01 at this point; I don't know that borland would continue
to sell it since they are concentrating on C++ builder. Maybe second hand?

David

Adrian

Christo said:
hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told to
obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)

this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.

it is simply called borland c++ 5.01

can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy or a copy that
needs registering or someething, i can only find c++ builder which is
totally different from the program i have seen in the lectures at uni

I dont think you can get 5.01 anymore, but borland do offer a free
command line compiler that is pretty much the same one that ships with
c++Builder without the VCL

Its better then 5.01 imho, because it supports much more of the STL.

www.borland.com and have a look around

Adrian

Duane Hebert

Christo said:
hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told to
obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)

this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.

it is simply called borland c++ 5.01

can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy or a copy that
needs registering or someething, i can only find c++ builder which is
totally different from the program i have seen in the lectures at uni

I don't think that you can get this version directly. Around BCB4
they used to include it on a free CD with a purchase.

You can download the personal edition of CBX for free.
The IDE is a bit buggy. It only generates 32 bit win32 apps
though while BCC 5.01(2) will generate 16 bit apps. It
doesn't currently have any tools for GUI generation.

BCC is a fairly old program with minimal support for
STL etc. If this is of no concern, Borland has a "museum"
section on the page with older products for free. Not sure
if this is one.

You can also download the beta version of MSVC2005.net for
free.

Doesn't your school's store sell the products that you need
for your assignments?

Christo

Duane Hebert said:
I don't think that you can get this version directly. Around BCB4
they used to include it on a free CD with a purchase.

You can download the personal edition of CBX for free.
The IDE is a bit buggy. It only generates 32 bit win32 apps
though while BCC 5.01(2) will generate 16 bit apps. It
doesn't currently have any tools for GUI generation.

BCC is a fairly old program with minimal support for
STL etc. If this is of no concern, Borland has a "museum"
section on the page with older products for free. Not sure
if this is one.

You can also download the beta version of MSVC2005.net for
free.

Doesn't your school's store sell the products that you need
for your assignments?

nope they dont sell it... just lots of books... lots and lots of books

anyhow i was at uni yesterday and someone managed to get it from a warez
site somewhere, luckily i had my 128mb usb pen with me and since the prog
was only 80 mb... got it sorted.

Thanks for the help!

i did try the command line compiler but it is easier through a gui

cheers

chris

Duane Hebert

I'm sure the books are inexpensive said:
i did try the command line compiler but it is easier through a gui

CBX uses the same compiler but with an IDE. The personal edition
is free. The problem with BCC5.0x is that it's fairly dated and
doesn't support STL and such very well. I depends on what
you need though. When I was doing my BS, the programming classes
didn't address standard containers or templates at all.

Major_Small

Christo said:
isnt that just the compiler?

no, it includes basically everything you'll need to compile and run
your programs... you'll also want to reference

when you're setting it up so you'll know what you're doing...

here's what's included
(source:http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20997,00.html):

BCC32.EXE C++ compiler (32-bit), command-line version
BPR2MAK.EXE Converts project file from XML to MAKE file format for use
with command-line tools
BRC32.EXE Resource compiler (32-bit), command-line version
BRCC32.EXE Resource shell (32-bit)
CPP32.EXE C preprocessor (32-bit), command-line version
GREP.EXE File search utility
ILINK32.EXE Incremental linker (32-bit), command-line version
IMPDEF.EXE Utility used when building apps with Libraries
IMPLIB.EXE Utility used when building apps with Libraries
MAKE.EXE Make utility
RLINK32.DLL Resource linker (32-bit)
TDUMP.EXE File dump utility
TLIB.EXE Utility for maintaining static-link libraries
TLIBIMP.EXE (Type Library Import) tool. Takes existing type libraries
and creates C++Builder Interface files. Incorporated into the Type
Library editor.
TOUCH.EXE Change files stamps to current date/time
TRIGRAPH.EXE Converts 3-character trigraph sequences into single
characters
VCTOBPR.EXE Converts Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 and 6.0 project (.DSP)
and workspace (.DSW) files to their equivalent Borland C++Builder
files