    anyone plz help.

    cheers

    christo

    Christo, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Christo wrote:
    > hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told to
    > obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)
    >
    > this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.
    >
    > it is simply called borland c++ 5.01
    >
    > can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy or a copy that
    > needs registering or someething, i can only find c++ builder which is
    > totally different from the program i have seen in the lectures at uni
    >
    > anyone plz help.

    Contact Borland. I bet they can help.

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Christo

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Christo" <> wrote in message
    > hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told

    > obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)
    >
    > this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.
    >
    > it is simply called borland c++ 5.01
    >
    > can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy

    Where else? www.borland.com

    (go to 'site map' and look around, it's not that hard to find).

    And I seem to recall that the latest 'freebie' version is 5.5
    (but perhaps 5.01 is still available there).

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Christo

    Christo Guest

    "Mike Wahler" <> wrote in message
    > "Christo" <> wrote in message
    >> hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told

    >> obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)
    >>
    >> this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development
    >> environment.
    >>
    >> it is simply called borland c++ 5.01
    >>
    >> can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy

    > Where else? www.borland.com
    >
    > (go to 'site map' and look around, it's not that hard to find).
    >
    > And I seem to recall that the latest 'freebie' version is 5.5
    > (but perhaps 5.01 is still available there).
    >
    > -Mike

    isnt that just the compiler?

    Christo, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Christo wrote:

    > hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told to
    > obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)
    >
    > this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.
    >
    > it is simply called borland c++ 5.01
    >
    > can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy or a copy that
    > needs registering or someething, i can only find c++ builder which is
    > totally different from the program i have seen in the lectures at uni

    somewhere on borland's site is C++5.5, which is a free command line toolset
    provided by borland. It is actually more compliant with current C++ standards
    that 5.01, and also is more compliant as a win32 build platform. I'm not sure
    how you would get 5.01 at this point; I don't know that borland would continue
    to sell it since they are concentrating on C++ builder. Maybe second hand?

    David

    David Lindauer, Oct 21, 2004
  6. Christo

    Adrian Guest

    Christo wrote:
    > hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told to
    > obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)
    >
    > this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.
    >
    > it is simply called borland c++ 5.01
    >
    > can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy or a copy that
    > needs registering or someething, i can only find c++ builder which is
    > totally different from the program i have seen in the lectures at uni

    I dont think you can get 5.01 anymore, but borland do offer a free
    command line compiler that is pretty much the same one that ships with
    c++Builder without the VCL

    Its better then 5.01 imho, because it supports much more of the STL.

    www.borland.com and have a look around

    Adrian

    Adrian, Oct 21, 2004
  7. Christo

    Duane Hebert Guest

    "Christo" <> wrote in message news:...
    > hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told to
    > obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)
    >
    > this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development environment.
    >
    > it is simply called borland c++ 5.01
    >
    > can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy or a copy that
    > needs registering or someething, i can only find c++ builder which is
    > totally different from the program i have seen in the lectures at uni

    I don't think that you can get this version directly. Around BCB4
    they used to include it on a free CD with a purchase.

    You can download the personal edition of CBX for free.
    The IDE is a bit buggy. It only generates 32 bit win32 apps
    though while BCC 5.01(2) will generate 16 bit apps. It
    doesn't currently have any tools for GUI generation.

    BCC is a fairly old program with minimal support for
    STL etc. If this is of no concern, Borland has a "museum"
    section on the page with older products for free. Not sure
    if this is one.

    You can also download the beta version of MSVC2005.net for
    free.

    Doesn't your school's store sell the products that you need
    for your assignments?

    Duane Hebert, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Christo

    Christo Guest

    "Duane Hebert" <> wrote in message

    > "Christo" <> wrote in message
    >> hey im a student about to start a course in c++ at uni, we have been told
    >> obtain a copy of borland c++ 5.01 (not c++ builder)
    >>
    >> this is just a program with a compiler/linker and development
    >> environment.
    >>
    >> it is simply called borland c++ 5.01
    >>
    >> can anyone tell me where i can download either a free copy or a copy that
    >> needs registering or someething, i can only find c++ builder which is
    >> totally different from the program i have seen in the lectures at uni

    > I don't think that you can get this version directly. Around BCB4
    > they used to include it on a free CD with a purchase.
    >
    > You can download the personal edition of CBX for free.
    > The IDE is a bit buggy. It only generates 32 bit win32 apps
    > though while BCC 5.01(2) will generate 16 bit apps. It
    > doesn't currently have any tools for GUI generation.
    >
    > BCC is a fairly old program with minimal support for
    > STL etc. If this is of no concern, Borland has a "museum"
    > section on the page with older products for free. Not sure
    > if this is one.
    >
    > You can also download the beta version of MSVC2005.net for
    > free.
    >
    > Doesn't your school's store sell the products that you need
    > for your assignments?

    nope they dont sell it... just lots of books... lots and lots of books

    anyhow i was at uni yesterday and someone managed to get it from a warez
    site somewhere, luckily i had my 128mb usb pen with me and since the prog
    was only 80 mb... got it sorted.

    Thanks for the help!

    i did try the command line compiler but it is easier through a gui

    cheers

    chris

    Christo, Oct 23, 2004
  9. Christo

    Duane Hebert Guest

    "Christo" <> wrote in message news:...

    > nope they dont sell it... just lots of books... lots and lots of books

    I'm sure the books are inexpensive <g>

    > i did try the command line compiler but it is easier through a gui

    CBX uses the same compiler but with an IDE. The personal edition
    is free. The problem with BCC5.0x is that it's fairly dated and
    doesn't support STL and such very well. I depends on what
    you need though. When I was doing my BS, the programming classes
    didn't address standard containers or templates at all.

    Duane Hebert, Oct 24, 2004
  10. Christo

    Major_Small Guest

    more than just a compiler...

    "Christo" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > isnt that just the compiler?

    no, it includes basically everything you'll need to compile and run
    your programs... you'll also want to reference

    when you're setting it up so you'll know what you're doing...

    here's what's included
    (source:http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20997,00.html):

    BCC32.EXE C++ compiler (32-bit), command-line version
    BPR2MAK.EXE Converts project file from XML to MAKE file format for use
    with command-line tools
    BRC32.EXE Resource compiler (32-bit), command-line version
    BRCC32.EXE Resource shell (32-bit)
    CPP32.EXE C preprocessor (32-bit), command-line version
    GREP.EXE File search utility
    ILINK32.EXE Incremental linker (32-bit), command-line version
    IMPDEF.EXE Utility used when building apps with Libraries
    IMPLIB.EXE Utility used when building apps with Libraries
    MAKE.EXE Make utility
    RLINK32.DLL Resource linker (32-bit)
    TDUMP.EXE File dump utility
    TLIB.EXE Utility for maintaining static-link libraries
    TLIBIMP.EXE (Type Library Import) tool. Takes existing type libraries
    and creates C++Builder Interface files. Incorporated into the Type
    Library editor.
    TOUCH.EXE Change files stamps to current date/time
    TRIGRAPH.EXE Converts 3-character trigraph sequences into single
    characters
    VCTOBPR.EXE Converts Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 and 6.0 project (.DSP)
    and workspace (.DSW) files to their equivalent Borland C++Builder
    files

    Major_Small, Oct 27, 2004