Borland vs. Bloodshed

Developwebsites

[it would appear there is no activity on the Borland boards
so I am posting here]

I have tried out these C++ compilers:
Watcom 11.0c - simply does not work.
now they bundled fortran with c++ but it just
doesnt install on my pc.

digi-mars DOS - good, fast, small.
however, no IDE, no editor, etc.

borland command line tools 5.5 - installed but
gives errors on programs which compile fine in 4.52. WHY?

borland 4.52 - a fine compiler with an IDE. console window stays up
when program ends(unlike bloodshed); however, the DOS
console window does not include copy/paste so how do i print
the output? also, the exe files dont run in DOS box within windows,
the console pops-up. contantly gives me GPF errors and crashes the system.

bloodshed dev-c++ - my fave at the moment. DOS console with copy/paste
pop-ups, however, it disappears when execution stops. the program could
be run within a DOS box.

what I would prefer is a DOS C++ compiler with an IDE, like the Turbo C v2.0,
is there one?

osmium

Developwebsites said:
borland command line tools 5.5 - installed but
gives errors on programs which compile fine in 4.52. WHY?

I would expect problems induced by the introduction of namespaces. Try
adding

using namespace std:

before any code. Another possible problem is that the preferred spelling of
the names of the include files have changed. Sample:

<math.h> becomes <cmath>.

White Wolf

Developwebsites wrote:
[SNIP]
borland command line tools 5.5 - installed but
gives errors on programs which compile fine in 4.52. WHY?
42.

borland 4.52 - a fine compiler with an IDE. console window stays up
the console pops-up. contantly gives me GPF errors and crashes the
system.

May I suggest you contact Borland support to solve problems with your
Borland SW?
bloodshed dev-c++ - my fave at the moment. DOS console with
copy/paste pop-ups, however, it disappears when execution stops. the
program could be run within a DOS box.

[OT]

#include <cstdlib>

typedef int absolutely_surely_never_ever_void;
absolutely_surely_never_ever_void main() {

std::system("pause");
}
what I would prefer is a DOS C++ compiler with an IDE, like the Turbo
C v2.0, is there one?

gcc with Emacs. gcc with Eclipse. etc. But those will *not* make DOS
programs. They will make 32bit console programs.