    cannot see that what is said about other bugs applies to this.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 17, 2008

  2. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 16 Mar 2008, dorayme wrote:

    > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/IEBottomMarginProblem/ie7_margin_prob
    > lem.html> shows a bottom margin in Firefox and Safari but not in
    > Internet Explorer 7.
    >
    > Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a reference to it and to
    > any recommended fix please?
    >
    > I have been unable to locate any specific reference to this and
    > cannot see that what is said about other bugs applies to this.

    404.

    However, I have experienced bottom-margin probs in ie7 and usually resort
    to padding or margining a bottom div, etc.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.com/
    Neredbojias, Mar 17, 2008

  3. dorayme

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/IEBottomMarginProblem/ie7_margin_prob
    > lem.html> shows a bottom margin in Firefox and Safari but not in
    > Internet Explorer 7.

    About 1em of bottom margin in Firefox, Safari, IE7, Opera. A much bigger
    margin in IE6.

    What exactly were you expecting? Screenshot?

    > Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a reference to it and to
    > any recommended fix please?

    Dunno, can't see any problem.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Mar 17, 2008
  4. dorayme

    rf Guest

    rf, Mar 17, 2008
  5. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 16 Mar 2008, rf wrote:

    > "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    >> On 16 Mar 2008, dorayme wrote:
    >>
    >>> <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/IEBottomMarginProblem/ie7_margin_prob
    >>> lem.html>

    >> 404.

    > There is a little bit of the URL on a subsequent line.

    Yup, that was it. I "selected" it but it must have cut off anyway
    because of the lf, rf (yuk yuk). Anyway, didn't you see the lack of
    bottom margin in ie7?

    dorayme, the way to "fix" it (more or less) is just add an empty div
    (<div></div>) below the existing div.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.com/
    Neredbojias, Mar 17, 2008
  6. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A63E159CC95Fneredbojiasnano@85.214.90.236>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > On 16 Mar 2008, rf wrote:
    >

    > > "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message

    > >> 404.

    > > There is a little bit of the URL on a subsequent line.

    > Yup, that was it. I "selected" it but it must have cut off anyway
    > because of the lf, rf (yuk yuk). Anyway, didn't you see the lack of
    > bottom margin in ie7?
    >
    > dorayme, the way to "fix" it (more or less) is just add an empty div
    > (<div></div>) below the existing div.

    When I first heard about it from a friend (who has ie7), I added
    exactly this to the live site where this test case is derived
    from. I made a simple example for this ng because the actual site
    has some floats and other things that might confuse. I gave the
    thing a small height and had it in a conditional for ie7's eyes
    only. And I got the report back that that had fixed it well
    enough.

    But you know I am totally neurotic and worry that people might
    laugh at the inelegance of this and perhaps there might be better
    and like that... <g>

    And Richard's report is worrying me further.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 17, 2008
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1ImDj.26614$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/IEBottomMarginProblem/ie7_margin_prob
    > > lem.html> shows a bottom margin in Firefox and Safari but not in
    > > Internet Explorer 7.

    > About 1em of bottom margin in Firefox, Safari, IE7, Opera. A much bigger
    > margin in IE6.
    >
    > What exactly were you expecting? Screenshot?
    >

    > > Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a reference to it and to
    > > any recommended fix please?

    > Dunno, can't see any problem.

    Thanks for this Richard, this is information for me. I was
    relying on a report from a friend elsewhere in this city because
    I have not got IE 7. I must get this browser, update my winbox
    and so on.

    In browsershot facilities I cannot get to see if there is
    problem because it depends on scrolling a longer than viewport
    page and seeing a margin at the bottom.

    I have been unable to travel to where there are ie7s galore -
    this past week or so - sick as a dog.

    I have just seen Boji's post now and he says he sees the problem.
    So I am a bit puzzled. Are there different versions of IE 7? Are
    they affected by different winboxes with different OSs, XP,
    Vista... I dunno?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 17, 2008
  8. dorayme

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns9A63E159CC95Fneredbojiasnano@85.214.90.236>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 16 Mar 2008, rf wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message

    >> > There is a little bit of the URL on a subsequent line.

    >> Yup, that was it. I "selected" it but it must have cut off anyway
    >> because of the lf, rf (yuk yuk). Anyway, didn't you see the lack of
    >> bottom margin in ie7?
    >>
    >> dorayme, the way to "fix" it (more or less) is just add an empty div
    >> (<div></div>) below the existing div.

    > When I first heard about it from a friend (who has ie7), I added
    > exactly this to the live site where this test case is derived
    > from. I made a simple example for this ng because the actual site
    > has some floats and other things that might confuse. I gave the
    > thing a small height and had it in a conditional for ie7's eyes
    > only. And I got the report back that that had fixed it well
    > enough.
    >
    > But you know I am totally neurotic and worry that people might
    > laugh at the inelegance of this and perhaps there might be better
    > and like that... <g>
    >
    > And Richard's report is worrying me further.

    I really do think I saw a margin however I now don't see one.

    Time for a quiet ale perhaps ;-)

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Mar 17, 2008
  9. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 16 Mar 2008, dorayme wrote:

    >> dorayme, the way to "fix" it (more or less) is just add an empty div
    >> (<div></div>) below the existing div.

    > When I first heard about it from a friend (who has ie7), I added
    > exactly this to the live site where this test case is derived
    > from. I made a simple example for this ng because the actual site
    > has some floats and other things that might confuse. I gave the
    > thing a small height and had it in a conditional for ie7's eyes
    > only. And I got the report back that that had fixed it well
    > enough.
    >
    > But you know I am totally neurotic and worry that people might
    > laugh at the inelegance of this and perhaps there might be better
    > and like that... <g>

    There might be, I dunno. Surprised me that padding-bottom didn't work,
    either. Anyway, I'm sure they'll have all these problems fixed in ie8...

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.com/
    Neredbojias, Mar 17, 2008
  10. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A63EEE5F3628neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > On 16 Mar 2008, dorayme wrote:
    >
    > >> dorayme, the way to "fix" it (more or less) is just add an empty div
    > >> (<div></div>) below the existing div.

    > > When I first heard about it from a friend (who has ie7), I added
    > > exactly this to the live site where this test case is derived
    > > from. I made a simple example for this ng because the actual site
    > > has some floats and other things that might confuse.

    > ...Surprised me that padding-bottom didn't work,
    > either. Anyway, I'm sure they'll have all these problems fixed in ie8...

    You saying that a 100px padding-bottom on the wrapper does not
    *show up* in IE7 with a page like: <http://tinyurl.com/2hlmhx>?
    This is serious!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 17, 2008
  11. dorayme

    Els Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > You saying that a 100px padding-bottom on the wrapper does not
    > *show up* in IE7 with a page like: <http://tinyurl.com/2hlmhx>?
    > This is serious!

    It's (apparently) how IE treats margins that surpass the body
    element's bounderaries (even setting a border on body doesn't help).
    Thanks for noticing btw, I was just working on a new template for a
    client and hadn't seen the absense of exactly the same bottom margin
    on the outermost container within body.

    Now solved with setting a bottom padding on body instead of bottom
    margin on said div.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Mar 17, 2008
  12. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1pqka0c0mmjcx.19m92zxeoq3c8$>,
    Els <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > You saying that a 100px padding-bottom on the wrapper does not
    > > *show up* in IE7 with a page like: <http://tinyurl.com/2hlmhx>?
    > > This is serious!

    > It's (apparently) how IE treats margins that surpass the body
    > element's bounderaries (even setting a border on body doesn't help).
    > Thanks for noticing btw, I was just working on a new template for a
    > client and hadn't seen the absense of exactly the same bottom margin
    > on the outermost container within body.
    >
    > Now solved with setting a bottom padding on body instead of bottom
    > margin on said div.

    Actually, Els, this is a more elegant solution for IE7 than my
    temporary kludge of a heighted empty transparent div. I want the
    background on body to be seen; and it will be on this padding
    tactic.

    I have sent $10 (US) to Bill Gates to speed up development of IE8
    and 9 <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 17, 2008
  13. dorayme

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Mar 16, 11:16 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/IEBottomMarginProblem/ie7_margin_prob
    > lem.html> shows a bottom margin in Firefox and Safari but not in
    > Internet Explorer 7.
    >
    > Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a reference to it and to
    > any recommended fix please?
    >
    > I have been unable to locate any specific reference to this and
    > cannot see that what is said about other bugs applies to this.

    See http://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot001.jpg for a screen capture
    of the bottom of your page on Firefox scrolled down as far as
    possible. Then see http://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot002.jpg for a
    screen shot of your page on the ATT/Yahoo DSL browser(a slight
    modification of IE7, mainly a special ho9me page). There is a
    difference. I will take these two screen shots down in a few days.
    cwdjrxyz, Mar 17, 2008
  14. dorayme

    Els Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > In article <1pqka0c0mmjcx.19m92zxeoq3c8$>,
    > Els <> wrote:
    >
    >> It's (apparently) how IE treats margins that surpass the body
    >> element's bounderaries (even setting a border on body doesn't help).
    >> Thanks for noticing btw, I was just working on a new template for a
    >> client and hadn't seen the absense of exactly the same bottom margin
    >> on the outermost container within body.
    >>
    >> Now solved with setting a bottom padding on body instead of bottom
    >> margin on said div.

    > Actually, Els, this is a more elegant solution for IE7 than my
    > temporary kludge of a heighted empty transparent div. I want the
    > background on body to be seen; and it will be on this padding
    > tactic.

    You just need to think inside the box ;-)

    > I have sent $10 (US) to Bill Gates to speed up development of IE8
    > and 9 <g>

    A $10 well spent :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Mar 17, 2008
  15. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <

    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On Mar 16, 11:16 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/IEBottomMarginProblem/ie7_margin_prob
    > > lem.html> shows a bottom margin in Firefox and Safari but not in
    > > Internet Explorer 7.
    > >
    > > Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a reference to it and to
    > > any recommended fix please?
    > >
    > > I have been unable to locate any specific reference to this and
    > > cannot see that what is said about other bugs applies to this.

    > See http://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot001.jpg for a screen capture
    > of the bottom of your page on Firefox scrolled down as far as
    > possible. Then see http://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot002.jpg for a
    > screen shot of your page on the ATT/Yahoo DSL browser(a slight
    > modification of IE7, mainly a special ho9me page). There is a
    > difference. I will take these two screen shots down in a few days.

    I better be quick then!

    OK, thanks cwdjrxyz, this is food for thought indeed.

    It makes me think a padding-bottom on body (see Els' reply) might
    need to be applied not just for IE's eyes only.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 17, 2008
  16. dorayme

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Mar 17, 2:50 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    >

    > >,

    > cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > > On Mar 16, 11:16 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/IEBottomMarginProblem/ie7_margin_prob
    > > > lem.html> shows a bottom margin in Firefox and Safari but not in
    > > > Internet Explorer 7.

    > > > Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a reference to it and to
    > > > any recommended fix please?

    > > > I have been unable to locate any specific reference to this and
    > > > cannot see that what is said about other bugs applies to this.

    > > Seehttp://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot001.jpgfor a screen capture
    > > of the bottom of your page on Firefox scrolled down as far as
    > > possible. Then seehttp://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot002.jpgfor a
    > > screen shot of your page on the ATT/Yahoo DSL browser(a slight
    > > modification of IE7, mainly a special ho9me page). There is a
    > > difference. I will take these two screen shots down in a few days.

    > I better be quick then!
    >
    > OK, thanks cwdjrxyz, this is food for thought indeed.
    >
    > It makes me think a padding-bottom on body (see Els' reply) might
    > need to be applied not just for IE's eyes only.

    I checked on most recent versions of Seamonkey, Opera, and Safari for
    Windows. They all appear about the same as shown in the screen shot
    for Firefox. At least for most recent browser that are commonly used,
    IE7 seems to do things in a different way, as often was the case for
    earlier IE browsers. I would not say IE7 is wrong without reading all
    of the W3C specs that might apply, but I would give very good odds
    that they are wrong if I were making a bet.
    cwdjrxyz, Mar 17, 2008
  17. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On Mar 17, 2:50 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <
    > >

    > > >,

    > > cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > I checked on most recent versions of Seamonkey, Opera, and Safari for
    > Windows. They all appear about the same as shown in the screen shot
    > for Firefox. At least for most recent browser that are commonly used,
    > IE7 seems to do things in a different way, as often was the case for
    > earlier IE browsers. I would not say IE7 is wrong without reading all
    > of the W3C specs that might apply, but I would give very good odds
    > that they are wrong if I were making a bet.

    I took another look at your screenshots and I see that you are
    confirming what I have suspected and I will leave the padding on
    body for IE 7 eyes only. IE 6 does not exhibit the problem. How
    about that. A development of the fault ridden IE6 does not even
    get right what it got right!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 17, 2008
  18. Neredbojias wrote:

    >Anyway, I'm sure they'll have all these problems fixed in ie8...

    And you still believe in the Easter Bunny too, right?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 17, 2008
  19. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 17 Mar 2008, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >>Anyway, I'm sure they'll have all these problems fixed in ie8...
    >>

    > And you still believe in the Easter Bunny too, right?

    Does appreciating the merits of spring hassenpfeffer count?

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.com/
    Neredbojias, Mar 17, 2008
  20. dorayme

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Mar 17, 3:51 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    > m>,
    >

    > cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > > On Mar 17, 2:50 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <

    > > I checked on most recent versions of Seamonkey, Opera, and Safari for
    > > Windows. They all appear about the same as shown in the screen shot
    > > for Firefox. At least for most recent browser that are commonly used,
    > > IE7 seems to do things in a different way, as often was the case for
    > > earlier IE browsers. I would not say IE7 is wrong without reading all
    > > of the W3C specs that might apply, but I would give very good odds
    > > that they are wrong if I were making a bet.

    > I took another look at your screenshots and I see that you are
    > confirming what I have suspected and I will leave the padding on
    > body for IE 7 eyes only. IE 6 does not exhibit the problem. How
    > about that. A development of the fault ridden IE6 does not even
    > get right what it got right!

    If you are very fussy about how the page on IE7 looks at the bottom,
    you likely could correct with Microsoft conditional comments. See my
    demo page at http://www.cwdjr.net/test/UncleBill.html . I tested this
    on all of the browsers I have to make certain it works.
    cwdjrxyz, Mar 17, 2008