bounded buffer

Larry

Hi,

I am writing a little application to capture audio data from a wavein
device and broadcast it to the

internet over http protocol. My application is basically divided into two
segments:

Capturing Thread:
-> waveCapture // waveCapture.h (class)
-> mp3Encoding // mp3Encoder.h (class)

Broadcasting Thread:
-> httpServer // httpServer (class)

So in a nutshell, the capturing thread is the "Producer" and the
broadcasting thread is the "Consumer".

In order to link them I need to code a buffer. The producer will put data on
it whereas the consumer will

retrieve data from it.

I would like to post some code about the server (barebones) so I can get to
the main point later on:

unsigned int __stdcall handleClient(void* a)
{
Socket* s = (Socket*) a;
while(1)
{
string r = s->ReceiveLine();
if (r.empty())
break;

s->SendLine("Hello, I am the server!");
break;
}

// Disconnect
s->close();

delete s;
return 0;
}

int main()
{
// Server: set up
SocketServer in(8000,5);

while(1)
{
// Server: wait for incoming connections
Socket* s=in.Accept();
cout << "a client connected..." << endl;

// Server: spawn a new thread to deal with the client
unsigned int ret;
_beginthreadex(0,0,handleClient,s,0,&ret);
}

system("pause");
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

As you can see, the server waits for incoming connections and spawns a
thread to deal with a single client each time it connects.

Now, in the handleClient() thread I should retrieve data from the buffer
(being written by the "producer") and send it to the client...

Here comes the pain! Since I have to deal with several connections at the
same time I don't know if they should read from one single buffer or
something else...for instance the producer should write to severl instances
of the buffer...

any idea how I should work this out?

thanks

Larry

// all code are in the server
// all locks are omitted
struct Buffer
{ ... };

list<Buffer*> clients;

unsigned int copyBuffer(void*)
{
while (1)
{
// read data from producer
// copy data to every client in the list

wow that seems a great step into the right direction! Yet, why you think I
should prefer <list> over <vector> ??

Also, I'm in two minds whether I should delete the chunk from the buffer
after reading it or just read it and let the "Producer" overwrite it
eventually. (is this circular buffer?)

so that when a client connects a new buffer is being pushed_back into the
vector...then the producer will write to all the buffers in vector.

Larry

Maybe a circular buffer is better, maybe...

Do you think the following could be fine approach?

// declare
typedef unsigned int regkey;
typedef struct {...} buffer;

// global buffer
std::map<regkey, buffer> clients

// a client connect (add consumer)
clients.insert(makepair(regkey, buffer));

// a client disconnect (remove comsumer)
clients.remove(regkey);

// Producer writes to every element in the map(clients)
(...)

thanks