Boxed Perl or ActiveState Perl?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Vittorio, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Vittorio

    Vittorio Guest

    On my dual-boot (linux debian testing & windows xp) box under linux I
    have installed debian testing and the deb perl 5.6 packages boxed with
    the debian distribution.

    Now, using perl both under linux and win xp I've installed activestate
    perl 5.8 under M$ win and it looks great!

    The same activestate site offer a debianized perl-5.8 package which is
    installed under usr/local/bin.

    In the opinion of more experienced users than I am is there any
    advantage for me to install activestate perl instead of the standard deb
    packages?

    Can both versions of perl coexist?

    If I install activestate perl, could I eliminate the boxed debian perl
    packages (to avoid duplication, of course) or they're essential for the
    installation?

    Ciao

    Vittorio
    Vittorio, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Vittorio

    gnari Guest

    "Vittorio" <> wrote in message
    > On my dual-boot (linux debian testing & windows xp) box under linux I
    > have installed debian testing and the deb perl 5.6 packages boxed with
    > the debian distribution.
    >
    > Now, using perl both under linux and win xp I've installed activestate
    > perl 5.8 under M$ win and it looks great!
    >
    > The same activestate site offer a debianized perl-5.8 package which is
    > installed under usr/local/bin.
    >
    > In the opinion of more experienced users than I am is there any
    > advantage for me to install activestate perl instead of the standard deb
    > packages?

    I believe that debian testing is using perl 5.8, so probably the easiest
    would be
    # apt-get install perl
    which will upgrade your perl to the current testing version along with
    all dependencies

    > Can both versions of perl coexist?

    yes

    > If I install activestate perl, could I eliminate the boxed debian perl
    > packages (to avoid duplication, of course) or they're essential for the
    > installation?

    perl is used by many debian administration tools, but I have no idea if
    they would happily use a /usr/local one instead of the debian one.

    but as one of debian's strong points is its package system and
    painless upgrading process, I would stick with their packages.

    gnari
    gnari, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Vittorio

    Bart Lateur Guest

    gnari wrote:

    >perl is used by many debian administration tools, but I have no idea if
    >they would happily use a /usr/local one instead of the debian one.

    Dunno about Debian but...

    In general, it's considered a bad idea to replace the perl that is used
    by the system, by a custom one. Leave it there. If you don't like it
    (because it's buggy, unextensible, whatever..) *add* a different
    distribution on a different location. You're still free to choose for
    your scripts which one to use, by changing the shebang line.

    --
    Bart.
    Bart Lateur, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Vittorio

    GreenLight Guest

    Vittorio <> wrote in message news:<3hSac.965$>...
    > On my dual-boot (linux debian testing & windows xp) box under linux I
    > have installed debian testing and the deb perl 5.6 packages boxed with
    > the debian distribution.
    >
    > Now, using perl both under linux and win xp I've installed activestate
    > perl 5.8 under M$ win and it looks great!
    >
    > The same activestate site offer a debianized perl-5.8 package which is
    > installed under usr/local/bin.
    >
    > In the opinion of more experienced users than I am is there any
    > advantage for me to install activestate perl instead of the standard deb
    > packages?

    With ActiveState on Win32, they have the ppm tool which simplifies
    package installation (no need to compile modules locally):
    ppm install File-Slurp
    Maybe they have the same thing for Debian. That would be one benefit
    to switching, IMHO.

    > Can both versions of perl coexist?
    >
    > If I install activestate perl, could I eliminate the boxed debian perl
    > packages (to avoid duplication, of course) or they're essential for the
    > installation?

    I don't know anything about Debian (I use *BSD), so I cannot help you
    there.

    --
    my real address is perl - at - milbaugh - dot - com
    GreenLight, Apr 2, 2004