    I'am using xt to convert my xml with an xsl to html.
    When i use <br /> in my xsl document in turns into <br> in the html.
    So, How am I get <br/> TAG in output(html) like xhtml?
    loveNUNO, Nov 10, 2003

  2. loveNUNO

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of "Oliver M. Haynold" <> wrote:

    > Correct me if I'm wrong,

    Consider yourself corrected.

    > but HTML 4.01 has a SHORTTAG YES clause in its
    > SGML Declaration.

    Yes. That's a bug in the spec (if we accept the premise that the spec
    relates to the Real World).

    > Doesn't that mean that constructs like <br/> _are_
    > allowed,

    Sometimes.

    > and that a browser that doesn't read them just isn't fully
    > conformant?

    A browser that fails to display a ">" after the <br> is not fully conformant.
    At least in those places where it's technically legal.

    --
    Nick Kew

    In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html
    Nick Kew, Nov 13, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    Oliver M. Haynold <> wrote:
    % On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:08:45 +0100, Patrick TJ McPhee wrote:
    % > Except that <br> is valid in HTML, while <br/> is not.
    %
    % Correct me if I'm wrong, but HTML 4.01 has a SHORTTAG YES clause in its
    % SGML Declaration. Doesn't that mean that constructs like <br/> _are_
    % allowed, and that a browser that doesn't read them just isn't fully
    % conformant?

    Let me reword my previous statement. <br> does not mean the same thing
    as <br/> in HTML. <br/> does not mean the same thing in xHTML as it
    does in HTML.

    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    East York Canada
    Patrick TJ McPhee, Nov 13, 2003
  4. In article <gIeub.226716$HS4.1974234@attbi_s01>,
    Bob Foster <> wrote:
    % "Patrick TJ McPhee" <> wrote in message
    % news:bp0agr$2ib$...
    % > In article <>,
    % > Oliver M. Haynold <> wrote:
    % > % On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:08:45 +0100, Patrick TJ McPhee wrote:
    % > % > Except that <br> is valid in HTML, while <br/> is not.
    % > %
    % > % Correct me if I'm wrong, but HTML 4.01 has a SHORTTAG YES clause in its
    % > % SGML Declaration. Doesn't that mean that constructs like <br/> _are_
    % > % allowed, and that a browser that doesn't read them just isn't fully
    % > % conformant?
    % >
    % > Let me reword my previous statement. <br> does not mean the same thing
    % > as <br/> in HTML. <br/> does not mean the same thing in xHTML as it
    % > does in HTML.
    %
    % Don't just leave us hanging. What's the diff?
    %
    % I don't know of any modern browser that a) doesn't accept <br/> or b)
    % appears to treat it different than <br>, but maybe there's some subtlety I'm
    % missing wrt b.

    There's no subtlety here. As has been pointed out, <br/> in HTML is the
    same as <br>>. It may be that there's no browser which gets it right,
    but that's just saying that nobody really gives a shit about standards,
    and that it doesn't matter whether you adhere to them, so long as it works.
    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    East York Canada
    Patrick TJ McPhee, Nov 18, 2003
  5. loveNUNO

    Bob Foster Guest

    > In article <gIeub.226716$HS4.1974234@attbi_s01>,
    > Bob Foster <> wrote:
    > % "Patrick TJ McPhee" <> wrote in message
    > % news:bp0agr$2ib$...
    > % > In article <>,
    > % > Oliver M. Haynold <> wrote:
    > % > % On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:08:45 +0100, Patrick TJ McPhee wrote:
    > % > % > Except that <br> is valid in HTML, while <br/> is not.
    > % > %
    > % > % Correct me if I'm wrong, but HTML 4.01 has a SHORTTAG YES clause in

    its
    > % > % SGML Declaration. Doesn't that mean that constructs like <br/> _are_
    > % > % allowed, and that a browser that doesn't read them just isn't fully
    > % > % conformant?
    > % >
    > % > Let me reword my previous statement. <br> does not mean the same thing
    > % > as <br/> in HTML. <br/> does not mean the same thing in xHTML as it
    > % > does in HTML.
    > %
    > % Don't just leave us hanging. What's the diff?
    > %
    > % I don't know of any modern browser that a) doesn't accept <br/> or b)
    > % appears to treat it different than <br>, but maybe there's some subtlety

    I'm
    > % missing wrt b.
    >
    > There's no subtlety here. As has been pointed out, <br/> in HTML is the
    > same as <br>>. It may be that there's no browser which gets it right,
    > but that's just saying that nobody really gives a shit about standards,
    > and that it doesn't matter whether you adhere to them, so long as it

    works.

    If one gave a shit about standards one would not write, in two consecutive
    postings:

    Bob Foster
    Bob Foster, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Bob Foster wrote:
    > If one gave a shit about standards one would not write, in two consecutive
    > postings:

    Could you please read and quote properly? What Patrick did write was:

    > "Patrick TJ McPhee" <> wrote in message
    >>As has been pointed out, <br/> in HTML is the
    >>same as <br>>.

    Note the '>>' after '<br'. So when rendered, the second should be a line
    break and a '>' character and not a line break only.

    --
    Johannes Koch
    (Te Deum, 4th cent.)
    Johannes Koch, Nov 20, 2003
  7. loveNUNO

    Bob Foster Guest

    I do my best. If I misquoted, I apologize. The "give a shit" in his response
    kinda set me off.

    Bob

    Bob Foster, Nov 21, 2003
  8. In article <P2pvb.202849$275.751333@attbi_s53>,
    Bob Foster <> wrote:
    % I do my best. If I misquoted, I apologize. The "give a shit" in his response
    % kinda set me off.

    I'm sorry if I distressed you. I was giving my opionion of the `it
    works, so what's the problem?' line of reasoning -- it really depends on
    your attitude towards standards compliance.
    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    East York Canada
    Patrick TJ McPhee, Nov 21, 2003