Brand New to Java and J2EE - Need Help Getting Started

JAF

I have applied to a firm for a position as a Business Analyst. Many
of the projects I will be working on use J2EE. In order to work
better with the developers, I want to learn about J2EE. (I do have a
programming background, just nmot in Java and related software.)

Several questions arise:

1. Is this a good idea, i.e. to learn some about Java and J2EE to be
able to talk intelligently to the developers?

I went to the Sun web site and found a tutorial on J2EE which
suggested I first learn about Java. To do this I was directed to a
download page for the SDK of various versions of Java. None of the
pages work.

2. Is this a good set of tutorials?

If so I followed Sun's links to be able to download, and when I click
on the download for different SDK's, I get a fatal error page on the
Sun web site.

What is going on here?

Thanks for your help.

Rhino

JAF said:
I have applied to a firm for a position as a Business Analyst. Many
of the projects I will be working on use J2EE. In order to work
better with the developers, I want to learn about J2EE. (I do have a
programming background, just nmot in Java and related software.)

Several questions arise:

1. Is this a good idea, i.e. to learn some about Java and J2EE to be
able to talk intelligently to the developers?
Of course it is. It has ALWAYS been a good idea to know something about the
tools you are going to be working with.
I went to the Sun web site and found a tutorial on J2EE which
suggested I first learn about Java. To do this I was directed to a
download page for the SDK of various versions of Java. None of the
pages work.
Thousands of people download the SDKs every month. I've done it myself
several times, although not for several months.
2. Is this a good set of tutorials?
I don't recall looking at the J2EE tutorials so I can't say. Others here
should have a better idea. They will also be able to suggest various
alternative websites and books. Java is mature enough now to have a fair bit
of literature. Some of the published books are quite good.
If so I followed Sun's links to be able to download, and when I click
on the download for different SDK's, I get a fatal error page on the
Sun web site.

What is going on here?

If it's not working now, it may be because of a temporary server problem at
Sun's site. Or perhaps you are doing something wrong?

Give it a few hours and try again. If it still doesn't work, send in an
error report to Sun and wait a few more hours. Or get some help from someone
who has used the site recently. Perhaps you just need to turn on cookies
before your download will work. I vaguely remember having to do that several
years to use the Sun site.

JAF

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:47:38 -0500, "Rhino"

snip

Thanks for your post. The site at Sun is now working. Since it was
the first time I went there, and since the error message was "Fatal
Error" and not much else, I did not know if it was a temporary thing
or not.

I did get the SDK ok and it is working on my computer.

One other question, while I have you.

What should I look at to learn about Java's ablity to handle
relational databases? I do a lot of design work based on business
problems, and I ahve always found the relational model to work well
for business data.

Where can I learn about using Java to handle this?

Thanks
Best regards,

JAF
http://www.bscinc.net