Branding a site

Guest

Hi There
I want to create an asp.net application that other companies can brand. So for example a customer would put a link to my site on their web page, my site would then have to know where the user came from and then brand the site so that it looks like my site is actually an extension of my customers own site. How can I do this? If each of my customers registered their own domain name that pointed to my server could I tell what domain name a user used to get to my site? Thanks in advance.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You could use the Request.RawURL method.
Here's more info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...frlrfsystemwebhttprequestclassrawurltopic.asp

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

Charlie Dison said:
Hi There,
I want to create an asp.net application that other companies can
brand. So for example a customer would put a link to my site on their web
page, my site would then have to know where the user came from and then
brand the site so that it looks like my site is actually an extension of my
customers own site. How can I do this? If each of my customers registered
their own domain name that pointed to my server could I tell what domain
name a user used to get to my site? Thanks in advance.

bruce barker

have them pass their site id in the link.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Charlie Dison said:
Hi There,
I want to create an asp.net application that other companies can
brand. So for example a customer would put a link to my site on their web
page, my site would then have to know where the user came from and then
brand the site so that it looks like my site is actually an extension of my
customers own site. How can I do this? If each of my customers registered
their own domain name that pointed to my server could I tell what domain
name a user used to get to my site? Thanks in advance.

Guest

Thanks for the response Bruce

I'm sure this approach would be fool prof. What if the user later keys in the url without the parameter.

Guest

Thanks for the link. Is there a way to specify a customer id when registering a domain name on the internet? I assume that when I register a domain I specify what ip address the domain resolves to. Can I specify a customer Id in there as well

For example: I setup my domain registration www.greatsite.com to resolve to x.x.x.x/customer
and www.anothersite.com to x.x.x.x/customer

In this way regardless of how the site gets bookmarked I will always have the customer id when a user returns to that domain.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Charlie,

In addition to Steve's suggestion on "RawUrl", I think the UrlReWrite
feature of the ASP.NET is also helpful.
Here are some tech articles and reference on it:

#URL Rewriting in ASP.NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/urlrewriting.asp?frame=t
rue#urlrewriting_topic2

#URL Rewriting with ASP.NET
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/URLRewriter.asp

#Personal .NET Portal
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/AspNetPortalArticle.asp

Also, I think you can search in the newsgroup for some former threads which
discussing on the similar problem. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Yes you can set up your registration that way.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

For example: I setup my domain registration www.greatsite.com to resolve to x.x.x.x/customer1