Branding a site

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZSBEaXNvbg==?=, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Hi There
    I want to create an asp.net application that other companies can brand. So for example a customer would put a link to my site on their web page, my site would then have to know where the user came from and then brand the site so that it looks like my site is actually an extension of my customers own site. How can I do this? If each of my customers registered their own domain name that pointed to my server could I tell what domain name a user used to get to my site? Thanks in advance.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZSBEaXNvbg==?=, Apr 20, 2004

  2. You could use the Request.RawURL method.
    Here's more info:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...frlrfsystemwebhttprequestclassrawurltopic.asp

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Apr 20, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZSBEaXNvbg==?=

    bruce barker Guest

    have them pass their site id in the link.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Thanks for the response Bruce

    I'm sure this approach would be fool prof. What if the user later keys in the url without the parameter.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZSBEaXNvbg==?=, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Thanks for the link. Is there a way to specify a customer id when registering a domain name on the internet? I assume that when I register a domain I specify what ip address the domain resolves to. Can I specify a customer Id in there as well

    For example: I setup my domain registration www.greatsite.com to resolve to x.x.x.x/customer
    and www.anothersite.com to x.x.x.x/customer

    In this way regardless of how the site gets bookmarked I will always have the customer id when a user returns to that domain.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZSBEaXNvbg==?=, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Hi Charlie,

    In addition to Steve's suggestion on "RawUrl", I think the UrlReWrite
    feature of the ASP.NET is also helpful.
    Here are some tech articles and reference on it:

    #URL Rewriting in ASP.NET
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/urlrewriting.asp?frame=t
    rue#urlrewriting_topic2

    #URL Rewriting with ASP.NET
    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/URLRewriter.asp

    #Personal .NET Portal
    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/AspNetPortalArticle.asp

    Also, I think you can search in the newsgroup for some former threads which
    discussing on the similar problem. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Apr 20, 2004
  7. Thank You. This will be helpful.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZSBEaXNvbg==?=, Apr 20, 2004
  8. Yes you can set up your registration that way.

    --

    > Thanks for the link. Is there a way to specify a customer id when

    registering a domain name on the internet? I assume that when I register a
    domain I specify what ip address the domain resolves to. Can I specify a
    customer Id in there as well?

    > For example: I setup my domain registration www.greatsite.com to resolve

    to x.x.x.x/customer1

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Apr 20, 2004