    Cheers, www.3DProgrammer.com
    Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

    20% of the world is real.
    Brandon J. Van Every, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Brandon J. Van Every

    Andrew Dalke Guest

    Brandon J. Van Every:
    > type-treatment. To those of you who took my Ruby questions at face value,
    > and answered them perfunctorily, thanks! I got the information I wanted

    and
    > the conclusions haven't surprised me.

    I do not think you know the meaning of the word perfunctorily

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=perfunctorily says
    > 1. Done routinely and with little interest or care: The operator
    > answered the phone with a perfunctory greeting.
    > 2. Acting with indifference; showing little interest or care.

    But I don't care any more.

    You're welcome.

    Andrew
    Andrew Dalke, Aug 19, 2003

  3. Brandon J. Van Every

    Paul M Guest

    Trolling levels

    Fredrik Lundh wrote:

    > that's a very limited definition. I prefer this one:
    >
    > "An internet troll is someone who fishes for people's confidence and,
    > once found, exploits it"
    >
    > ( from http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm )
    >
    > </F>

    Interesting document that /F posted to. It's worth a quick read.

    Given Brandon's history in this newsgroup, his recent messages, and his
    response above, I'd have to say that he's operating at Troll level
    3("Strategic") or 4("Domination").

    --Paul
    Paul M, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Re: Trolling levels

    Paul M <> writes:

    [...]
    > Interesting document that /F posted to. It's worth a quick read.
    >
    > Given Brandon's history in this newsgroup, his recent messages, and
    > his response above, I'd have to say that he's operating at Troll level
    > 3("Strategic") or 4("Domination").

    Without wanting to sound overly pissy, can I just point out that I
    don't want to read threads about "Ruby vs Python" and the trolls
    therein (which I already don't, thanks to a nicely sharpened score
    file) but I also don't want to read people *talking about* silly
    threads and the trolls therein, which due to rampant subject changing
    keep reappearing in my news reader. Enough already!

    And now if we can just shoot those responsible for sending out viruses
    with "From ", maybe I wont be killing 70% of the
    posts in the group...

    Cheers,
    mwh

    --
    SCSI is not magic. There are fundamental technical reasons why it
    is necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and
    Michael Hudson, Aug 20, 2003
  5. List and net abuses [was: Re: Trolling levels]

    [Michael Hudson]

    > Without wanting to sound overly pissy, can I just point out that I don't
    > want to read threads about "Ruby vs Python" and the trolls therein (which
    > I already don't, thanks to a nicely sharpened score file) but I also don't
    > want to read people *talking about* silly threads and the trolls therein,
    > which due to rampant subject changing keep reappearing in my news reader.
    > Enough already!

    Exactly the same feelings here. Despite not much, it takes a bit more time
    every week for tuning up score files so un-interesting messages get filtered
    out. The noise ratio on `python-list' is progressively climbing, there is
    danger that we loose some of the pleasure of reading it in the long run.

    > And now if we can just shoot those responsible for sending out viruses
    > with "From ", maybe I wont be killing 70% of the
    > posts in the group...

    This might not be easy.

    One of my (mostly unpublished) domain name and my own addresses are being
    abused from far away sites for widely broadcasted UCE, either with `From' or
    some fake initial `Received:'. Seeing my own name abused has been rampant
    for years (and it happened to many maintainer-friends as well, probably
    because we were known as good guys), but for relatively recently, such abuse
    is becoming extremely aggressive and pretty difficult to counter-fight.

    My filters have to cope with hundreds of rejects every hour for the mere
    abuse of my own name. And for the abuse of my domain (forgeries seemingly
    emanating from random non-existing users from that domain), the generated
    rejects have been the source, on the domain MX, of several hundreds of SMTP
    connection attempts, sustained at all times, night and day, for many months.
    (Other people take care of our network bills, I should evaluate the impact.)
    Yet, as this is all originated elsewhere, this is a bit outside our control.

    And I'm nobody. I barely imagine what `python-list' might be living, for
    those having to administer lists and servers. It might be frightening!
    Happily some Python project, for any counter-measure system that might
    demonstrate some efficiency against this! But it might be difficult...

    --
    Fran├žois Pinard http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard
    =?iso-8859-1?q?Fran=E7ois_Pinard?=, Aug 20, 2003