bread crumbs??

Robert Guildner

I am new to JavaScript and I am building a Web page in which I want to use a
navigational/informational feature that I have seen called bread crumbs. It
looks like: home>>one level>>next level>the page you are on
Often I see it with different colors for the history and the current page.
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks!

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Robert Guildner:
I am new to JavaScript and I am building a Web page in which I want
to use a navigational/informational feature that I have seen called
bread crumbs. It looks like: home>>one level>>next level>the page
you are on Often I see it with different colors for the history and
the current page. I would appreciate any help.

Help for what? You don't need JavaScript to implement bread crumbs on your
pages. Just put something like

<a class="breadcrumb" href="index.html">Home</a> &gt;&gt;
<a class="breadcrumb" href="level1.html">One Level</a> &gt;&gt;
<a class="breadcrumb" href="level2.html">Next Level</a> &gt;&gt;

on every page and define colors and whatever "looks" you like in a style
sheet:

..breadcrumb {color:blue;}
..youarehere {color:red;}

If you want to study a "live" example: www.mlynarczyk-webdesign.de

Of course it would be possible to have the above code written by JavaScript
automatically, but what if the user has JavaScript disabled? If you want to
automatically generate the bread crumbs, you should do it server side, with
PHP for example.

Greetings, Thomas

Robert Guildner

Thank you for your reply. I went to the site you suggested; however, this
isn't what I was looking for. I hope that someone is able to provide the JS
help for this.

David Dorward

Please direct your attention to: http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

Robert said:
Thank you for your reply. I went to the site you suggested; however, this
isn't what I was looking for.

Maybe not, but it is what you asked for. If that isn't what you want, you
should try rephrasing your question. (Although I do hope you aren't trying
to duplicate the menu that many browsers generate when you hold the mouse
button down over the back button - reinventing the built in browser wheel
with JavaScript is never a good idea).

Robert Guildner

Thank you very much, James!
This is exactly what I was looking for. The site is informative and clear.
Your supportive attitude is appreciated.