Breadcrumb trail dilemma

xyZed

I have a page who's breadcrumb trail looks something like this

home /main section /sub section /pageinquestion.html

I have no problem showing this breadcrumb trail on the
"pageinquestion.html"

The problem is, what trail do I show to the visitor arriving at the
pageinquestion.html directly from a link on my home page? Or for that
matter from another page within my site.

Going straight from the home page should logically show

home/page.html

But I can only show one breadcrumb trail. Should I show the breadcrumb
trail of the actual full logical structure of the page? Would that be
disorientating for visitors jumping straight to the page from
elsewhere?

--

Free washing machine help and advice.

www.washerhelp.co.uk

www.xyzed.co.uk/newsgroups/top-posting.html

Spartanicus

xyZed said:
I have a page who's breadcrumb trail looks something like this

home /main section /sub section /pageinquestion.html

I have no problem showing this breadcrumb trail on the
"pageinquestion.html"

The problem is, what trail do I show to the visitor arriving at the
pageinquestion.html directly from a link on my home page? Or for that
matter from another page within my site.

Going straight from the home page should logically show

home/page.html

But I can only show one breadcrumb trail. Should I show the breadcrumb
trail of the actual full logical structure of the page? Would that be
disorientating for visitors jumping straight to the page from
elsewhere?

Breadcrumb is a misnomer, it's purpose is not to show the path that the
user has followed to get to the page where they are at, it's purpose is
to convey the vertical path in the site's hierarchy starting at the
home/index page.

So a contact page would show "Home > About > Contact" with Home and
About hyperlinked regardless of how the user got there.

Carolyn Marenger

Spartanicus said:
Breadcrumb is a misnomer, it's purpose is not to show the path that the
user has followed to get to the page where they are at, it's purpose is
to convey the vertical path in the site's hierarchy starting at the
home/index page.

I always thought that bread crumb trails were to help you get lost in the
woods and find a gingerbread house.

Carolyn

Jose

it's purpose is
to convey the vertical path in the site's hierarchy starting at the
home/index page.

And it is most meaningful for a site that is organized heirarchically.
Not all sites are.

Jose

xyZed

There is circumstantial evidence that on Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:35:38
› Breadcrumb is a misnomer, it's purpose is not to show the path that the
› user has followed to get to the page where they are at, it's purpose is
› to convey the vertical path in the site's hierarchy starting at the
› home/index page.

› So a contact page would show "Home > About > Contact" with Home and
› About hyperlinked regardless of how the user got there.

In that case my instincts were right, it should show the relationship
of the page to the home page and not (as the "breadcumb trail"
implies) to show a trail of the path you've taken. That's (presumably)
what the back button is for.