Breadcrumb trail dilemma

Discussion in 'HTML' started by xyZed, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. xyZed

    xyZed Guest

    I have a page who's breadcrumb trail looks something like this

    home /main section /sub section /pageinquestion.html

    I have no problem showing this breadcrumb trail on the
    "pageinquestion.html"

    The problem is, what trail do I show to the visitor arriving at the
    pageinquestion.html directly from a link on my home page? Or for that
    matter from another page within my site.

    Going straight from the home page should logically show

    home/page.html

    But I can only show one breadcrumb trail. Should I show the breadcrumb
    trail of the actual full logical structure of the page? Would that be
    disorientating for visitors jumping straight to the page from
    elsewhere?

    --

    Free washing machine help and advice.

    www.washerhelp.co.uk

    www.xyzed.co.uk/newsgroups/top-posting.html

    xyZed, Mar 17, 2006

  2. xyZed

    Spartanicus Guest

    xyZed <> wrote:

    >I have a page who's breadcrumb trail looks something like this
    >
    >home /main section /sub section /pageinquestion.html
    >
    >I have no problem showing this breadcrumb trail on the
    >"pageinquestion.html"
    >
    >The problem is, what trail do I show to the visitor arriving at the
    >pageinquestion.html directly from a link on my home page? Or for that
    >matter from another page within my site.
    >
    >Going straight from the home page should logically show
    >
    >home/page.html
    >
    >But I can only show one breadcrumb trail. Should I show the breadcrumb
    >trail of the actual full logical structure of the page? Would that be
    >disorientating for visitors jumping straight to the page from
    >elsewhere?

    Breadcrumb is a misnomer, it's purpose is not to show the path that the
    user has followed to get to the page where they are at, it's purpose is
    to convey the vertical path in the site's hierarchy starting at the
    home/index page.

    So a contact page would show "Home > About > Contact" with Home and
    About hyperlinked regardless of how the user got there.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Mar 17, 2006

  3. Off topic: Re: Breadcrumb trail dilemma

    Spartanicus wrote:

    > xyZed <> wrote:
    >
    > Breadcrumb is a misnomer, it's purpose is not to show the path that the
    > user has followed to get to the page where they are at, it's purpose is
    > to convey the vertical path in the site's hierarchy starting at the
    > home/index page.

    I always thought that bread crumb trails were to help you get lost in the
    woods and find a gingerbread house.

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 17, 2006
  4. xyZed

    Jose Guest

    > it's purpose is
    > to convey the vertical path in the site's hierarchy starting at the
    > home/index page.

    And it is most meaningful for a site that is organized heirarchically.
    Not all sites are.

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

    Jose, Mar 17, 2006
  5. xyZed

    xyZed Guest

    There is circumstantial evidence that on Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:35:38
    GMT, Spartanicus <> wrote

    >› Breadcrumb is a misnomer, it's purpose is not to show the path that the
    >› user has followed to get to the page where they are at, it's purpose is
    >› to convey the vertical path in the site's hierarchy starting at the
    >› home/index page.
    >›
    >› So a contact page would show "Home > About > Contact" with Home and
    >› About hyperlinked regardless of how the user got there.

    In that case my instincts were right, it should show the relationship
    of the page to the home page and not (as the "breadcumb trail"
    implies) to show a trail of the path you've taken. That's (presumably)
    what the back button is for.

    xyZed, Mar 18, 2006