Breaking in IE6

Adrienne Boswell

Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
enough to get this thing working correctly.

Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
.... ah, nuts! I hate IE.

UKuser

Could someone take a look athttp://ethicsproject.org/beta/(IE6). The
container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
enough to get this thing working correctly.

Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
... ah, nuts! I hate IE.

Had a quick look but can't quickly see my way around - but it looks
like your right panel is too wide which has pushed it onto a new line.
Play with the width and I think it might fix it.

Gregor Kofler

Adrienne Boswell meinte:
Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

Perhaps one or two extra pixels in father's width will already do the
job - I seem to remember, that I ran into a similar problem once with a
pixel-exact layout.
Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
... ah, nuts! I hate IE.

Perhaps not because of your your particular problem, but in general - yes.

Gregor

Jonathan N. Little

Adrienne said:
Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
enough to get this thing working correctly.

Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
... ah, nuts! I hate IE.
Well I assume it's IE doubling margin bug on floats. If you look at the
navbar's left margin you will see that it is not 10px but 20px and now
your content will not fit within container_mother 810px. The problem
pixel-perfect designs, I'd put more slop in the container DIVs. Adding
another 10 or 20px won't show since you do not have to match the width
to some fix image or anything.

BTW, did notice, me here stuck on dialup, that the huddle image took
some time to load. It's 85Kb was easily compressible without distortion
to 14Kb.

dorayme

In FF and Safari too the "#container" div goes below the
navigation. Moving one of the last bunch of </div>s to just above
the footer would fix that. But perhaps you don't mean quite this.
I might have to fire up this winbox of mine to look in IE6.

The page looks nice... btw. (I get the feeling it could be
tweaked to fit in 800px wide without scrollbars).

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
In FF and Safari too the "#container" div goes below the
navigation. Moving one of the last bunch of </div>s to just above
the footer would fix that. But perhaps you don't mean quite this.
I might have to fire up this winbox of mine to look in IE6.

The page looks nice... btw. (I get the feeling it could be
tweaked to fit in 800px wide without scrollbars).

I guess I really wasn't worth quoting, eh?

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
I guess I really wasn't worth quoting, eh?

Oh hell, have I stuffed up? Sorry Jonathan, I had only just woke
up and was more than usually full of myself. You see, I had spent
the whole night dreaming of me...

You are always worth quoting. I was wanting to wait till I had
checked my IE6 before saying something about your intelligent
suggestions. How am I going? Should I keep talking?

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
You are always worth quoting. I was wanting to wait till I had
checked my IE6 before saying something about your intelligent
suggestions. How am I going? Should I keep talking?

<smile>

Jim Moe

Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.
The usual reason is that IE6 thinks a column is too wide. Since you have
a lot of fixed width stuff, do the math. Be sure to include margin,
padding and borders.
Another option is to float the main column too.

The W3C validator does not like your DTD.

Jeff

Adrienne said:
Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

Yes.

Try floating: left both the nav and the main
content. (instead of float right).

On a side note, it looks like you've gotten a little div happy.

Nice triad color scheme!

Jeff

Jeff

Adrienne said:
Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
enough to get this thing working correctly.

Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
... ah, nuts! I hate IE.
I would change from one regular div and one float right (side by
side) to having both be float: left. How that left div clears is up in
the air. You could, I suppose, clear that up.

Note: I thought I had replied earlier, so sorry if there is a double
post later...

Jeff