    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 4, 2008

  2. Adrienne Boswell

    UKuser Guest

    On 4 Jan, 06:32, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Could someone take a look athttp://ethicsproject.org/beta/(IE6). The
    > container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
    > modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.
    >
    > I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
    > enough to get this thing working correctly.
    >
    > Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
    > ... ah, nuts! I hate IE.
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Had a quick look but can't quickly see my way around - but it looks
    like your right panel is too wide which has pushed it onto a new line.
    Play with the width and I think it might fix it.

    UKuser, Jan 4, 2008

  3. Adrienne Boswell meinte:
    > Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
    > container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
    > modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

    Perhaps one or two extra pixels in father's width will already do the
    job - I seem to remember, that I ran into a similar problem once with a
    pixel-exact layout.

    > Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
    > ... ah, nuts! I hate IE.

    Perhaps not because of your your particular problem, but in general - yes.

    Gregor

    http://web.gregorkofler.com ::: meine JS-Spielwiese

    Gregor Kofler, Jan 4, 2008
  4. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
    > container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
    > modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.
    >
    > I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
    > enough to get this thing working correctly.
    >
    > Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
    > ... ah, nuts! I hate IE.

    Well I assume it's IE doubling margin bug on floats. If you look at the
    navbar's left margin you will see that it is not 10px but 20px and now
    your content will not fit within container_mother 810px. The problem
    pixel-perfect designs, I'd put more slop in the container DIVs. Adding
    another 10 or 20px won't show since you do not have to match the width
    to some fix image or anything.

    BTW, did notice, me here stuck on dialup, that the huddle image took
    some time to load. It's 85Kb was easily compressible without distortion
    to 14Kb.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 4, 2008
  5. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <93eb8$477e497c$40cba7ae$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > > Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
    > > container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
    > > modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

    In FF and Safari too the "#container" div goes below the
    navigation. Moving one of the last bunch of </div>s to just above
    the footer would fix that. But perhaps you don't mean quite this.
    I might have to fire up this winbox of mine to look in IE6.

    The page looks nice... btw. (I get the feeling it could be
    tweaked to fit in 800px wide without scrollbars).

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 4, 2008
  6. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <93eb8$477e497c$40cba7ae$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >>> Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
    >>> container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
    >>> modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

    > In FF and Safari too the "#container" div goes below the
    > navigation. Moving one of the last bunch of </div>s to just above
    > the footer would fix that. But perhaps you don't mean quite this.
    > I might have to fire up this winbox of mine to look in IE6.
    >
    > The page looks nice... btw. (I get the feeling it could be
    > tweaked to fit in 800px wide without scrollbars).

    I guess I really wasn't worth quoting, eh?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 4, 2008
  7. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <3edd2$477e8cee$40cba7c4$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <93eb8$477e497c$40cba7ae$>,

    > > In FF and Safari too the "#container" div goes below the
    > > navigation. Moving one of the last bunch of </div>s to just above
    > > the footer would fix that. But perhaps you don't mean quite this.
    > > I might have to fire up this winbox of mine to look in IE6.
    > >
    > > The page looks nice... btw. (I get the feeling it could be
    > > tweaked to fit in 800px wide without scrollbars).
    > >

    > I guess I really wasn't worth quoting, eh?

    Oh hell, have I stuffed up? Sorry Jonathan, I had only just woke
    up and was more than usually full of myself. You see, I had spent
    the whole night dreaming of me...

    You are always worth quoting. I was wanting to wait till I had
    checked my IE6 before saying something about your intelligent
    suggestions. How am I going? Should I keep talking?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 4, 2008
  8. dorayme wrote:

    > You are always worth quoting. I was wanting to wait till I had
    > checked my IE6 before saying something about your intelligent
    > suggestions. How am I going? Should I keep talking?

    <smile>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 4, 2008
  9. Adrienne Boswell

    Jim Moe Guest

    On 01/03/08 11:32 pm, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
    > container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
    > modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

    The usual reason is that IE6 thinks a column is too wide. Since you have
    a lot of fixed width stuff, do the math. Be sure to include margin,
    padding and borders.
    Another option is to float the main column too.

    The W3C validator does not like your DTD.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Jan 5, 2008
  10. Adrienne Boswell

    Jeff Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
    > container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
    > modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

    Yes.

    Try floating: left both the nav and the main
    content. (instead of float right).

    On a side note, it looks like you've gotten a little div happy.

    Nice triad color scheme!

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 5, 2008
  11. Adrienne Boswell

    Jeff Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
    > container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
    > modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.
    >
    > I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
    > enough to get this thing working correctly.
    >
    > Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
    > ... ah, nuts! I hate IE.

    I would change from one regular div and one float right (side by
    side) to having both be float: left. How that left div clears is up in
    the air. You could, I suppose, clear that up.

    Note: I thought I had replied earlier, so sorry if there is a double
    post later...

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 5, 2008
  12. Adrienne Boswell

    Jeff Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6).
    >> The container div is going below the navigation. It is working
    >> correctly in modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.
    >>
    >> I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't
    >> know enough to get this thing working correctly.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly
    >> dislike IE ... ah, nuts! I hate IE.
    >>

    > Well I assume it's IE doubling margin bug on floats.

    I hadn't heard about that. Could you elaborate a bit?

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 5, 2008
  13. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > >> Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6).
    > >> The container div is going below the navigation. It is working
    > >> correctly in modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.
    > >>
    > >> I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't
    > >> know enough to get this thing working correctly.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly
    > >> dislike IE ... ah, nuts! I hate IE.
    > >>

    > > Well I assume it's IE doubling margin bug on floats.

    > I hadn't heard about that. Could you elaborate a bit?

    />

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 5, 2008
  14. Adrienne Boswell

    Jeff Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> Well I assume it's IE doubling margin bug on floats.

    >> I hadn't heard about that. Could you elaborate a bit?

    > />

    Thanks,

    I had noticed a display: inline in a float: left style and thought it
    did cludged something else (I was wrong). If this does no harm, I'm good
    to go! (I think I normally pad the container).

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 5, 2008