Breaking News ... Accellera Verification Working Group Forming

HairyTheASICGuy

Read All About It at http://synopsysoc.org/thestandardsgame/?p=64!

On her Standards Game Blog today, Karen Bartleson announced that
Accellera formed a subcommittee to define a standard for verification
interoperability.

That is, Synopsys is stepping up to an industry leadership position to
settle the VMM / OVM war.

This is the right move to do this in Accellera because it gives us
input into the process, rather than just the EDA vendors controlling
the process for their own benefit. Karen points out in her blog that
it was user pressure they heard that made them open up VMM. That's
us!

If you want to get your copy of the open VMM code that the new
Accellera working group will use you will need to wait until they get
the working group web landing page created. Karen did not say who
would chair the group, but if you want her to pass your name on to the
new chair, you can email her at karenb @ synopsys . com.

I can't wait to get my copy of open VMM!

Of course, Synopsys is telling us that they are just doing the right
thing. But having them donate VMM to Accellera as the basis of a
single methodology library opens the next question.

How will Cadence and Mentor respond? Hopefully they’ll join the
effort to add OVM features not found in VMM. Let’s keep the pressure
on them.

BestInSoC

Your link to a Synopsys "like" web address appears real. But I doubt
this is really Synopsys. And looking at the Accellera website, there
is *NO* mention of this. I hardly believe it is true that Accellera
has created this group and that Synopsys has donated VMM.

Synopsys has spent years on VMM development and has been working on
the second version of VMM that this makes absolutely no sense.

Great spoof on the Synopsys website, that must have taken a lot of
time to do to spew this disinformation.

Synopsys will NEVER let their VMM source out since it requires special
calls to proprietary simulator functions that they have kept as a
trade secret so others are not able to build a system than can compete
with them.

Now go back to your cave and keep your dreams to yourself.

Jason Zheng

Not so fast. On the contrary, synopsysoc.org does belong to synopsys:

$ whois synopsysoc.org
<snip>
Domain ID:D149040000-LROR
Domain Name:SYNOPSYSOC.ORG
Created On:04-Sep-2007 18:24:52 UTC
Last Updated On:04-Nov-2007 03:48:07 UTC
Expiration Date:04-Sep-2009 18:24:52 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)
Status:CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED
Status:CLIENT RENEW PROHIBITED
Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED
Registrant ID:GODA-037023796
Registrant Name:Synopsys Hostmaster
Registrant Organization:Synopsys, Inc.
Registrant Street1:700 East Middlefield Road
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Mountain View
Registrant State/Province:California
Registrant Postal Code:94043
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.6505841507
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:+1.6505841908
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:[email protected]
Admin ID:GODA-237023796
Admin Name:Synopsys Hostmaster
Admin Organization:Synopsys, Inc.
Admin Street1:700 East Middlefield Road
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Mountain View
Admin State/Province:California
Admin Postal Code:94043
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.6505841507
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:+1.6505841908
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:[email protected]
Tech ID:GODA-137023796
Tech Name:Synopsys Hostmaster
Tech Organization:Synopsys, Inc.
Tech Street1:700 East Middlefield Road
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Mountain View
Tech State/Province:California
Tech Postal Code:94043
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.6505841507
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:+1.6505841908
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:[email protected]
Name Server:EXDNS1.SYNOPSYS.COM
Name Server:EXDNS2.SYNOPSYS.COM
Name Server:EXDNS3.SYNOPSYS.COM
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

BestInSoC

I stand corrected. I should have looked at whois first. This is a
bold move to open VMM. Now the only question is why Accellera has no
listed VMM project.

harrytheasicguy

[...]

For the record, I am the real "Harry the ASIC Guy" whose blog post was
"modified" by the originator of this thread, cowardly posting behind
the email shield of "(e-mail address removed)". You can find my
legitimate blog at the following URL ... http://theASICguy.com. You
can also find my original post on this topic at
http://theasicguy.com/2008/04/24/breaking-news-accellera-verification-working-group-forming/.

I do not know why "hairy" decided to take my original post, modify and
add to it, and then publish under this obviously contrived email
address. Is this a childish prank? Hairy, if you have something to
say, please have the courage to do so using your real identity.

I've tried to contact "hairy" by email twice about this but gotten no
response. What really bothers me is that he is using an email address
that is confusing my readers. If anyone can help me figure out who
this person is or how to really get in touch with him at his "regular"
email, then perhaps that would help. You can post to this newsgroup or
contact me thru email: harry at theASICguy.com

Dave Rich

I stand corrected. I should have looked at whois first. This is a
bold move to open VMM. Now the only question is why Accellera has no
listed VMM project.

Because this committee is focused on defining interoperability between
verification IP, not opening or standardizing the VMM.

Evan Lavelle

I had a quick go at tracking down the OP when the message first
appeared. He faked his IP address so that it appears to be from
Mentor, but there don't seem to be any open news servers on the listed
path.

The message itself is bizarre. It looks like straight Synopsys spin,
but the OP clearly has no idea what Accellera is about. It is not, by
any stretch of the imagination, a "user group".

-Evan

KarenB

I had a quick go at tracking down the OP when the message first
appeared. He faked his IP address so that it appears to be from
Mentor, but there don't seem to be any open news servers on the listed
path.

The message itself is bizarre. It looks like straight Synopsys spin,
but the OP clearly has no idea what Accellera is about. It is not, by
any stretch of the imagination, a "user group".

-Evan

KarenB

This is Karen Bartleson, director of interoperability at Synopsys,
Accellera board member, and author of The Standards Game blog. I am
compelled to reply at this point. First of all, my blog is completely
legitimate, not a spoof as bestinsoc claimed. Second, whomever
impersonated Harry owes him an apology. Finally, the post by "Hairy"
was not created by Synopsys. It was as big a surprise to me and my
colleagues as it was to the real Harry.