Breaking of Frames in Ethernet switch/Mux

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by kedarpapte@gmail.com, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    I am very new to the Ethernet area.

    I am trying to design and Implement an Ethernet switch or Multiplexer.

    so say if I am bridging between two 1-gbps channels with one 2-gbps
    channel.
    when I think of designing a TDM switch between the 2 channels of 1
    gbps my basic design will contain a MAC and a FIFO right...?

    I was thinking that if the incoming data frame is long so that it will
    cross the TDM slot for that channel of 1 gbps. then I will have to
    break that frame store the remaining data in fifo and send it in the
    next slot.

    Here I am not getting is that how it will get reconstructed at the
    receiving end .
    So firstly is it allowed to break like this if yes then how to insert a
    packet number etc in the frame.

    Please Help...

    Thanks & Regards.
    Kedar