    to the datagrid , displaying the updated record/Issue.

    Thanks for the help,

    MikeG

    =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWc=?=, Jun 23, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWc=?=

    Scott M. Guest

    Why don't you just edit the record in the datagrid? The edit "mode" can use
    different controls than the normal viewing of the grid, so you'll have a
    feature-rich UI to do your edits in.

    If you really don't want to do that and you want a form to come up, you'll
    have to put a regular button on the grid (not an edit button) and handle its
    click event with code to unhide a panel that you've pre-set up with the
    controls you want. You'll need to pass the id of the record being edited
    from the grid, so you know which record to populate the panel with.

    Scott M., Jun 23, 2007

  3. Hi Scott,

    Thanks for the help. There are too many fields horizontally to edit each
    record. I demonstrated this. But my Admins want to click on the "Edit" link
    and display the issue fields verticallyin a separate form for editing . As
    this is my first ASP project it sounds a bit involved as you mentioned. How
    do you use different controls when editing ? Perhaps I can redisplay the
    fields so they are not cumbersome to edit across the screen.

    Thanks

    MikeG

    =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWc=?=, Jun 23, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWc=?=

    Scott M. Guest

    Hi Mike,

    Well it will certainly be more difficult if you want to edit outside of the
    grid. But, I really feel that I should throw one more "try" in there for
    you to consider using the grid itself for editing. With a little creative
    thinking, you can make a record in "edit" mode display horizontally or
    vertically or both. The key is to turn the columns of the grid into
    "template" columns. Edit mode can look completely different from read mode
    if you design it that way.

    Scott M., Jun 23, 2007
  5. Hi Scott,

    Let me investigate working with templates a bit. I think I see whay you
    mean . Thanks for the help.

    MikeG

    =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWc=?=, Jun 24, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWc=?=

    Scott M. Guest

    When you turn a grid's column into a template column, you can then go in and
    edit that template column for edit mode. This allows you to change the
    types of controls that will be used to edit your data as well as allowing
    you to "double" up and put more than just one control in a given column.
    The columns will change horizontally and/or vertically depending on what you
    put in them.

    If you do your task this way, you will avoid the very big hassle of passing
    the row being edited outside of the grid and have to make all new controls
    that are bound to the data source.

    Good luck,

    Scott M.

    Scott M., Jun 24, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWc=?=

    Scott M. Guest

    One more thing that you may figure out but needs saying....

    When you are desiging the "edit" portion of a template column, you can even
    choose to move a control completely out of one template column and into
    another so you can have one column that contains multiple items for editing.
    This is a great space saver!

    Scott M., Jun 24, 2007
  8. Hi Scott,

    Thanks again for all the tips. I will try these tommorrow at work. What
    about hiding columns while editing(click on edit mode button) , and just
    using a few columns for all my fields? . Then it would appear as if the Help
    Desk ticket fields where all vertical for easy editing .

    Thanks,

    Mike

    =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWc=?=, Jun 25, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWc=?=

    Scott M. Guest

    What you can do, instead of hiding columns, is just have some of the edit
    columns not have anything in them and move their controls into other
    template columns so you might have a textbox above another textbox above a
    checkbox and so on. If the column is empty, it won't take up any space in
    edit mode.

    Scott M., Jun 25, 2007
  10. I will try that Scott.

    Thanks for all the help!!