Breaking parallel multiplier into two pieces in VHDL?

Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have a 18x10 parallel signed multiplier in my design which obviously is a very large block. It is implemented as a slow booth multiplier by Cadence RTL Compiler. I would like to reduce the size of the multiplier by breaking it into two parallel multipliers (using the same block twice) and using two clock cycles to complete the multiplication. I am not sure what the formula is that I can apply to calculate the result especially considering that the operands are signed. Could someone tell me how I may be able to do this?

I cannot use a serial multiplier because I do not have the clock cycles.

Thanks.

Last edited: